rev. 003 Screen has faint vertical lines

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Luckily I have only found one dead thread so it doesn't seem like a widespread issue but I've noticed lately on white/gray background there are evenly spaced vertical lines that very faintly show up. I didn't notice it until I thought I got smudge of dirt on the screen only to find out it wasn't on the screen.

They look like light gray lines, evenly spaced spanning the entire screen from top to bottom. They aren't horribly obvious but in the right light/brightness they get more noticeable. I'll try and take some photos and see if they can demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Is this just a normal thing with the EVO's screens or do I have one that needs to go back? (I really don't want to take it back).

Last edited:

DoMiNaTi0N

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed a similar problem with my EVO today. After looking intently at my screen at the Google homepage (looking at my one red dead pixel...) I noticed faint green lines that run top to bottom about 1/8" apart.

I just went to the web to find if there's a similar problem or if it's just my mind playing tricks on me...So I wonder if there really is an issue if you have seen something also

I'm probably going to go to Sprint tomorrow and look at the display EVO's and see if I see a similar pattern

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Its the screen technology. I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and the overwhelming consensus was "it is part of the capacitive technology for the screen"

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Its the screen technology. I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and the overwhelming consensus was "it is part of the capacitive technology for the screen"

Thank you for the info, that actually makes me feel better. It isn't so bad it's hindering my enjoyment but I didn't notice it at first and wanted to know if the screen is going bad or if they were just there to begin with.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of views with very few replies. Is this because :

A) its normal for the majority of you or
B) you don't see these and you have no idea what I'm talking about?

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of views with very few replies. Is this because :

A) its normal for the majority of you or
B) you don't see these and you have no idea what I'm talking about?

A. It's part of the technology. Nothing else to really say about it.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You got me thinking though. Since Super AMOLEDs have it built into the screen, I wonder how it would look on the EPIC 4G.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
A. It's part of the technology. Nothing else to really say about it.

Well I still have 16 days left until my 30day window closes so I will do my best to ignore it. (Unless it becomes more apparent for some reason.)

Cursed OCD! :p

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Worry more about a problem that can and will get worse: light leakage.

So far I have a minuscule amount of light leakage only visible dead-on below the home and search buttons. (and not in normal daylight) Hopefully it will stay that way!

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Luckily I have only found one dead thread so it doesn't seem like a widespread issue but I've noticed lately on white/gray background there are evenly spaced vertical lines that very faintly show up. I didn't notice it until I thought I got smudge of dirt on the screen only to find out it wasn't on the screen.

They look like light gray lines, evenly spaced spanning the entire screen from top to bottom. They aren't horribly obvious but in the right light/brightness they get more noticeable. I'll try and take some photos and see if they can demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Is this just a normal thing with the EVO's screens or do I have one that needs to go back? (I really don't want to take it back).

Thanks... Now my eyes freaking hurt..... Yeah, I pulled up a white screen/back ground and put brightness on highest level and looked real hard and you can faintly as you put it lines in the back ground.... I don't think it's an issue with the phone but just the way the phone is made/designed...

Looking at pictures or other things you don't notice it and it's so faint I had to look real hard.... Heck maybe my mind was just telling me I saw the lines your talking about because I read your thread.. With out reading this thread I never would have noticed them....

:D THANKS, Now my OCD is working over time... :p

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
the new screen sucks, like on my new on the start up screen is almost grey even with full brightness compared to my first evo on medium was very sparkling white! (not even sure brightness settings even effect bootup though so that shouldnt even matter)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
the new screen sucks, like on my new on the start up screen is almost grey even with full brightness compared to my first evo on medium was very sparkling white! (not even sure brightness settings even effect bootup though so that shouldnt even matter)

I got my EVO on launch day and it's REV 003 and I think the screen is pretty damn awesome... That Sprint Launch screen has always been a slightly dull greyish color but once the phone is up and running if I go to the Text Message screen or the notification screen it's a crystal clear white.... Not the Dull Grey on the start up.... It's been that way since the first day I got it....

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Looking at pictures or other things you don't notice it and it's so faint I had to look real hard.... Heck maybe my mind was just telling me I saw the lines your talking about because I read your thread.. With out reading this thread I never would have noticed them....

:D THANKS, Now my OCD is working over time... :p

That wasn't my intention! :( I'm glad that you only notice it at extreme brightness at least.

I guess I got worried because I didn't really notice it but now I can see the lines at any brightness on white and certain shades of gray. I have a really bad case of 'looking for flaws' but I figured I'd ask around to see if it was just me being me or an actual issue.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I name them "LINES OF DOOOOOM!" TM

Sorry to hear that, I have the same rev and besides the 'LINES OF DOOOOM!' TM the color and everything else about the screen is beautiful.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That wasn't my intention! :( I'm glad that you only notice it at extreme brightness at least.

I guess I got worried because I didn't really notice it but now I can see the lines at any brightness on white and certain shades of gray. I have a really bad case of 'looking for flaws' but I figured I'd ask around to see if it was just me being me or an actual issue.

Yeah and it's only BARELY noticeable even in full brightness.... Honestly at first I didn't see any thing... Then I went back and read what you wrote again and then I looked at it again... Then I held it up way closer to my face than I would normally and I could kind of see vertical lines evenly spaced but again since I was straining to look it might have been my mind playing tricks on me... :)

I do NOT plan to check it again... I am still seeing spots from staring at the freaking screen like that and it's been 2 hours... :p

dmireles03

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is swapping phones with minor light leakage on menu and home buttons for replacements.(better screen) I've had my phone for 5 weeks already. If you have even the slightest thought theres something wrong with your evo, take it to a Sprint repair center. My leakage was nearly not visible. The tech couldn't see it at first until I mentioned where it was. So I told him I called Sprint and explained everything to them already. I told the tech when called customer service, they said they've heard of these issue already and to take it to a service center. So the tech just agreed with everything I said and ordered me a replacement. They ordered it 7-12 and I pick it up 7-15. So I say just let the pros do there job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze