Back up question

nags#AC

Jun 24, 2010
www.the-nags.com
I want to root my phone using Simpleroot. Before doing so I want to do a back up so I don't lose all my settings and what not. However, it seems as if all the back up software requires root access. So what would be the best way to do so?

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
apparently there is no way, but this makes zero logical sense to me.
People can program all these apps and roms, but no one can create a backup app?

nags#AC

Jun 24, 2010
www.the-nags.com
apparently there is no way, but this makes zero logical sense to me.
People can program all these apps and roms, but no one can create a backup app?

Didn't make much sense to me either. I come from the Blackberry world, where a device backup is a one click process and backs up EVERY aspect of the phone even down to your icon placement.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
ditto. that really urked me about this phone too, but it is what it is I guess.

Im sure someone could come up with something if they wanted to. Would be beneficial to people who dont want to root.
Esp since it wipes your device when you root anyway. lol

jair

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I will be contacting the "The National Center for High-Performance Computing is located in Hsinchu, Taiwan." Ihave a very good friend there who works in a project called "Clonezilla" that does full backup of GNU/Linux systems, since EVO and other HTC phones run Android = Linux there might be chances to get clonezilla do a full backup of the phone :D that will be awesome! I will let you know guys!

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
YOU CAN!

Okay...
Unrevoked 3 just came out. unrevoked.com (click on more info and follow instructions)
It's a way to root to get superuser permissions.

What can you do with superuser permissions? Tether and backup.

So you can get Titanium Backup (and pay through paypal, it's like $4)... You get to backup for free, but when you try to restore the apps, you have to restore one by one... So if you pay, you can restore all of them and not do it manually.

I was waiting for Unrevoked 3 because I needed to backup before I rooted.
Anyway, Titanium backup lets you backup all apps and data and stuff... but requires root.

Last edited: