Just curious if anyone knew of a setting that would block text messages appearing as spam or something?

i cannot for the life of me get my txt messages from my bank as I did with ATT and BB.
    I been going back and forth between them and Sprint with diff things and addresses sent to and nothing.

Bank sees them going out, but sprint not getting them to my phone.

So I am thinking maybe a setting within Android maybe causing this?
    They are not using short codes either. I checked on this from other searching.
    07-14-2010 10:21 AM
    Only thing I can think of is that you have disabled "premium" text messaging on your line somehow...maybe when you upgraded your EVO?
    07-14-2010 10:23 AM
    Little more info. . . Might be Android OS functionality

Dude in the Bank IT dept happens to have an Evo also and cant get his working either.
    All other Sprint users seem to be working fine too.

So process of elimination shows either the Evo itself or Android OS issue

Any ideas?

Also I was a new customer and according to Sprint this is not a premium text message.
    Premium to them is considered a 3rd party paid subscription thing.
    07-14-2010 10:27 AM
    Interesting. I get balance alerts from AmEx, and to them, anything that is sent using a short code is considered "premium". When I had premium messages blocked, I no longer got these messages.

But, I see that BOA sends not using them, so, interesting.
    07-14-2010 10:30 AM
    same here i no longer receive text alerts from BOA after the evo/sprint.
    07-14-2010 10:37 AM
    I get texts from Chase on mine.
    07-14-2010 10:37 AM
    Now from talking to the IT person more he said to text 9999 and type Allow All

I talked to Sprint and they said that is considered a short code.
    I will see if I can find another way to unblock it other then this text i guess.

I tried sending to my email@sprintpcs.com
    also tried mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

No dice on any yet.
    07-14-2010 10:49 AM
    I had this problem when porting my number from AT&T to Sprint (iPhone -> Evo). BofA claims their system has some issue with this and may take up to 30 days for the problem to clear up. I also had some lag in being able to call my line from a VOIP phone (Skype and office VOIP) so it's not completely crazy.
    07-14-2010 10:49 AM
    I get texts from Chase on mine.
    I also get my texts from Chase. I have never had a problem.
    07-14-2010 10:54 AM
    You can call Sprint customer service and request they enable short code sms on your account. That's what I did when I had my Palm Pre. When I switched to the EVO (yipee!!), it continued to work. It's an account setting, not a hardware one.
    07-14-2010 10:59 AM
    i double checked on Sprints site and and no blocks on my service.
    Im stumped.

This is just my local bank. No big corporation of any sort.
    I guess I can just have them emailed, but prefer text.
    07-14-2010 11:00 AM
    I dont think you can block premium (short codes) from the site...
    07-14-2010 11:33 AM
    i called them though and said there are no blocks on my phone.
    07-14-2010 11:39 AM
    Maybe you need to go on your bank's web site opt out of the notifications and then sign up again. They typically send you a test message to confirm. Not sure it would do anything but might be worth a try.
    07-14-2010 04:00 PM
    i been trying. Im not even getting the notification with the activation code.

Now Sprint is telling me maybe to speak with HTC on this.
    Ugggghhh. IM tempted to just leave the email option working, but email is deff not as fast and could make the difference while in store and shopping to tell me if my balance is getting low or something.

I dunno , maybe im doing all this work for nothing and email is fine. I just hate knowing something is not working the way it did prior
    07-14-2010 04:41 PM
    I just tested more and I can get them quick fast via short code format from Chase. So its the way or format my Credit Union is sending them.
    I actually got some pretty useful help on this frmo Sprint though. I did alot of the leg work on it, but I was impressed today with the service to say the least
    07-14-2010 05:05 PM
    Just call sprint tech support. When I ported my number over, I only got a text when I texted someone first. I don't know what they did but that phone call fixed the problem.

Swyped from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk
    07-14-2010 05:54 PM
    For a lot of web based text services, when you sign up they want to know both your number and your carrier. Your carrier has changed. Try canceling the text service, and then signing up again.
    07-14-2010 08:10 PM
    Now from talking to the IT person more he said to text 9999 and type Allow All

I talked to Sprint and they said that is considered a short code.
    I will see if I can find another way to unblock it other then this text i guess.

I tried sending to my email@sprintpcs.com
    also tried mynumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

No dice on any yet.
    I'm partially to blame

In the Hero, (maybe still in EVO?) receiving a SMS via your sprintpcs.com email address (we all have one) instantly corrupted your SMS database. Sprint kept saying the issue did not exist, until I was able to show a Sprint network engineer how I could force any Sprint Android user to do a factory wipe, or get no texts using just windows live messenger and the sprintpcs.com email address.

Instead of fixing, looks like they blocked those types of messages. Search the forums here for "Bank of America SMS"
    07-14-2010 08:24 PM
    What about using Google voice?
    07-14-2010 09:49 PM
    What about using Google voice?
    Yeah google voice will work.

google.com/voice

Just set up an account and a new phone number, use your google voice number as your "cell" to the bank.

And have the number forward in google voice to your mobile and have "SMS" enabled.

It works great.
    07-15-2010 01:56 AM
    I've had the same issue with my ESPN Alerts. They were coming thru just fine until a couple weeks ago. I called Sprint, they show nothing being blocked. I called ESPN, they show nothing funny on there end. I tried resetting the number, but still haven't had any luck.
    07-15-2010 10:30 AM
    I think it depends on how the company sends the alerts.
    From what I can see the short codes come through fine. Other methods may not. I confirmed my bank does not do short codes.
    Funny thing is they say their other Sprint customers work fine which boggles me more.

Anyway, i tested with Chase acct and Myxer acct and got both fine. Just not these from my bank.
    07-15-2010 11:03 AM
    i set up txts with my bank (WF) earlier in the month and it worked the first day. twice now i've tried to get a balance, commands or help and i had no responses at all.
    i remembered this thread and sent a txt to 9999. now it all works fine.

this wasnt from a carrier switch! this was after it was working. maybe there is some threshold.
    derek5l likes this.
    07-28-2010 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD