Tried T mobiles version of the S versus the evo

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The phone itself is really light compared to the evo. It does feel slightly plasticy but sturdy if that makes sense. It is just as thick as the evo. and if it is only going to be about 3 pieces of paper thicker when the epic is released then not a bad phone. The screen is beautiful. I have to say the colors are great. The movie Avatar is stunning to watch. The colors almost look like they are wet. Blacks are black like the screen is turned off and the colors stand out. In comparison to the evo screen size, it is a little smaller. The feel in the hand is perfect just the right size, not to big and not to small. I did go outside with it and put it under the sunlight and I have to say I was able to see my evo screen better than the super amoled.

That being said I was worried that the phone would feel cheap and it is not. It was one of my concerns if not the major concern of mine. It gets a passing grade by me for sure. The difference in screen size is the off putting part. If you think the .3 difference is not much it really is. This can be overlooked though by the color representation on the screen.

If you go with the evo or epic you can't loose. As it stands now if you like movies and gaming (until the FPS issue with the evo is resolved) go with the epic. Other than that which ever phone you choose your good. Even with a physical keyboard added it won' feel like there is one there if you compare it to the evo.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I would actually consider the epic if it didn't come with a physical keyboard, but why the hell would I want a 4 inch screen phone with a physical keybaord, I hate side sliders so its not even an option, I know everyone says that sprint is getting the best version of the Galaxy S but because of the keyboard in my opinion its the worst.

tmaxey1

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I wouldnt have a phone with a physical keyboard. I hate the thickness and loose feeling of sliders. I love the heft of the EVO. It feels really good in the hand. I also really love the capacitive buttons on the EVO. I had the hero before and hated clicking on the buttons. Its really nice to just place a finger over the home button and it goes home.

I am interested in playing with the Galaxy S and if i was on TMobile i would consider getting it. But on Sprint I wouldnt pass on the EVO for it.

I know people complain about the 30fps cap. And they use that to say galaxy will be better because it doesnt have this cap. But please find me a game that runs over 30fps on mobile phones and then i may consider caring. 1ghz processors cant run these 3D games over 30fps anyway.

The biggest difference between the 2 is Sense UI vs. TouchWiz.
I hated touchwiz on previous samsung devices. The video reviews of the Galaxy S make the UI look thrown together and cartoonish. Not professional like Sense UI is.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Quite frankly, I think Sprint did a smart move by getting the only version of the Galaxy S with a keyboard, after all, they have the Evo as an alternative for the people that hate keyboards.

As far as the fix for the fps issue goes....if you think games are gonna run faster because of that, you're sadly mistaken. The Gameloft games in particular can't even get past 20 fps for the most part. I'd be thrilled if they were to make it to 30 fps! You can blame the lackluster Adreno GPU that's in the Snapdragon chipset for that. The Hummingbird is far superior when it comes to gaming. Me, I am not personally to worried about that as of now, because so far, there aren't too many 3d games out there that I really want to buy. I am sure there will be more eventually, and by that time it's time for a new phone again.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
@dkotoric1 : I agree completely.
Slider on a 4" phone? No.

I think their logic is that they already have the Evo... and they need a smartphone with a keyboard.
The problem there is that people don't realize that they are two different phones. They would choose the Evo. I would actually love to get my hands on that GPU and super amoled screen.

Oh well, the Evo is great for me. The recent update did something good with the screen (it looks better)... and I've found some non-heavy 3d games that work for me... mainly gameboy.

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just thought I would share the info that I was able to obtain so people could get an idea of what to expect. The evo out shined the super amoled screen hands down in direct sunlight. I could barely see the samsung. I thought I was going to be blown away. The evo is the winmer in my opinion for that fight. Picture quality samsung has the edge. Bottom line they are both great phones. You can't go wrong with either one.

maduhbee#AC

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I bet the screen is also more responsive than the EVO, especially when you start moving really quickly with your finger! (Probably due to the 60fps vs. 30fps)

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Great phone I just cant get over touch wiz... As stated it looks thrown together and cartoonish.... I think this phone would have been killer with vanilla android on it...

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think the Epic will be a great phone, but like others, don't want the keyboard. However, there are two people in my house that do want the keyboard so they are waiting for the Epic. My partner only types with a keyboard and my son who prefers to do his gaming with a keyboard.

It's a smart move on Sprint's part, gives something for everyone.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting for the Evo2!

My buddy hates keyboards, I had told him about the Epic some time ago, but due to the keyboard he wasn't in the least bit interested. Guess he also didn't pay attention to what I said about 3d graphics power on the Evo (which he originally was set on buying) and the Epic. Then he saw that Open GL 2.0 benchmark comparison between the N1 (or Desire, forgot which it was) and a Galaxy S phone. All of a sudden he's considering the Epic...go figure.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Epic seems to be an awesome smartphone, but I couldn't do it for two reasons. The first being the keyboard. I don't have anything against the physical keyboard. Actually, it looks like it can be quite good, but my typing experience of the soft keyboard if the EVO is stellar. Why would I want a device with a physical keyboard when the virtual one is a lot better to me? Secondly, I don't trust Samsung. They don't have a good track record when coming out with quality smartphones. when was the last time that they came out with anything worth mentioning?

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just played around with the Samsung Vibrant and watching Avatar was very impressive. The screen is awesome indoors. I would compare it to my Evo.....but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait!

Well, you definitely have something to look forward to then!

I placed my order last Friday. Wirefly emailed me on Tuesday and said it would ship within the week. So it should be here by next Thursday at the latest. That will be 13 days. I can't really complain though, $279 for two evos is a pretty good deal IMO.

I have an iPad and an iPhone so the android operating system is new for me. Having said that, I wasn't really a fan of the Vibrant's user interface. I like htc's sense much better. Easily the best phone on TMO at the moment though.