Burned by kickstand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipdippy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I am just curious if anyone has run into something similar...

When I place my EVO down, I place it down camera up to avoid getting the lens scratched.

I recently was in a park with my child, put my phone down for literally a few minutes, and when we got back, she grabbed it and got a nasty burn from the kickstand, even though my phone was in a protective bumper and even though the kickstand wasn't in the 'out' position. This was on a sunny day.

I never thought it about as a design flaw before, but I'm thinking I need to either:

1. rip it out and construct some sort of filler or replacement, or
2. return it and get an Epic 4G when it comes out shortly

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Did you leave it in sunlight the time you were away? If so, the metal will get alittle hot if left in direct sunlight.

I am sorry to hear about your child tho...I dont know of any cases atm that protect the kickstand as well as the phone.

iboombastic

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Umm, thats not the phones fault, really you should leave it up, whats the point of scratching the phone. You might want to get a case.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The easiest thing to do would be not leave it in the sun... It's a bad idea to leave any electronic device in the sun.

Ripping the kickstand out or returning the phone is a bit dramatic.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So let me get this straight, you left it out in the sun and discovered that metal has a tendency to retain heat? Then you plan to do this often enough that you need to remove said metal because you don’t want to have to touch it when it gets hot?

Sorry your child got burned but can’t you just tell them not to do that anymore? Don’t touch my phone etc... Children can actually learn these things.

More of a question is how often do you plan on leaving an expensive piece of electronics just sitting out in the sun? You do know this is a bad thing to do right? I would carry mine on my belt holder and if I wanted to play with the children etc… I would put it under a cover of some sort like a towel.

Seriously this is such a problem that you need to modify the phone?
I guess if you HAD to modify the phone just rap some electrical tape around the stand.

powrman811

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Wait a flippin' minute...

Metal gets hot? I guess I should return my car because the shift knob is mighty hot when it's in the sun :-/

Wizzums#AC

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I stubbed my toe when walking around in my apartment. I never thought about it as a design flaw before, but I'm thinking I need to either:
1. rip out all the walls in my apartment, or
2. move out and buy a warehouse to live in which has no internal walls.

OP has to be trolling?

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If one of my children was hurt bad enough I could see where some drastic measures might be necessary. I wouldn't leaving your EVO in the sun though maybe just change your thinking a little to be mindful that that kickstand could get hot. I like the playful way you guys are trying to help but lets keep the tone civil. OP I hope you decide to keep your EVO its a great device.

iduarte21

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I stubbed my toe when walking around in my apartment. I never thought about it as a design flaw before, but I'm thinking I need to either:
1. rip out all the walls in my apartment, or
2. move out and buy a warehouse to live in which has no internal walls.

OP has to be trolling?

Now that's just absurd.

It would be much easier/cheaper to just take off your toe.:cool:

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
yeah dude, its steel therefore heat is going to dissapte into it. its not the kick stands fault. it didnt heat up on its on, it had a source that heated it up

labnotes

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You live and learn. It maybe an out of the ordinary question but it's still valid.

My recommendation, go buy a case. Most EVO cases are thick enough where the camera lens wont even touch the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance