Text Messages pictures are too small and blury

TreoRock

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a Palm Pre and my wife is been sending me some low res pictures with her EVO. She is sending pictures taken in 5MB and every time I get a picture from her is looks really low res. We tried to use handcent, but I don't know why here pictures are always bad. Any advices in how to set this up and maybe how to setup the camera to improve this?

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Check the rez of the EVO camera setting against the rez of the pic as you get it via messaging. I bet the messaging process resizes the pic smaller to make it send faster. This would be the fault of the SMS app and/or Sprint, not the EVO.

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this too, especially coming from a Pre. Its a shame we have a nice camera but the pics sent are compressed to around 21K or less.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's MMS. Generally, MMS is going to compress images to a tiny size after you've sent it to meet the maximum of the given server.

Unfortunately, MMS technology is eons behind the capabilities of even your basic cell phone now. I know it's easiest to send pictures and videos through MMS, but if the recipient is on a smartphone or even a messaging phone you should really use an alternate method such as email or an online sharing service.

Sometimes MMS will allow a decent quality picture through, but generally, that's the exception, not the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if phones started coming with MMS disabled by default. Most MMS messages I send don't even get through; I consider it lucky if the recipient receives it even though it's all compressed to hell.

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Its not a problem with MMS or Sprint as far as I can tell, pics that I use to send on my Pre were nice hires photos. On the Evo, it compresses them in my case to around 21K even though its set to limit to 2MB.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Its not a problem with MMS or Sprint as far as I can tell, pics that I use to send on my Pre were nice hires photos. On the Evo, it compresses them in my case to around 21K even though its set to limit to 2MB.

The phone is compressing the images before it sends them because of the MMS limitation. There were too many complaints that MMS messages weren't getting to recipients when photos went over 1 MP, so Android 1.6 started compressing pics over 1 MP by default to ensure pictures got through. You can get a third party app such as Handcent and it won't automatically compress photos. You're rolling the dice at that point to see if it will actually get through, but it seems you are OK with that.

As I said before, some servers allow larger file limits, so a phone that sends the pictures uncompressed, such as the Pre, can sometimes get the larger pictures through. But that is an exception.

The Message Size Limit is the whole message, not individual file size, so that has nothing to do with compressing individual photos. You can send one message with multiple images and that's where the limit kicks in.

TreoRock

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the built-in MMS app of the EVO will turn a 1.8MB image to 18K or so... While Handcent will give you a 788K or so. This is really ******ed because my Pre never had this problem and if the images are under 2MB then it should just send them. I guess I'm going to have to tell my wife to email me pictures from now on...

gotthelife4u

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
It's MMS. Generally, MMS is going to compress images to a tiny size after you've sent it to meet the maximum of the given server.

Unfortunately, MMS technology is eons behind the capabilities of even your basic cell phone now. I know it's easiest to send pictures and videos through MMS, but if the recipient is on a smartphone or even a messaging phone you should really use an alternate method such as email or an online sharing service.

Sometimes MMS will allow a decent quality picture through, but generally, that's the exception, not the norm. I wouldn't be surprised if phones started coming with MMS disabled by default. Most MMS messages I send don't even get through; I consider it lucky if the recipient receives it even though it's all compressed to hell.

+1!!!!! email it the best solution I have found.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20