Hard Resets

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Remove your SD card before you do anything. This will save your contacts, phoyos, etc. All your widgets and apps are gone. It's like getting the new phone out of the box.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
You really don't have to remove your SD card. I didn't and nothing was lost. You don't worry about contacts either because once you log back on under your email account if you save contacts to gmail then you are good.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I have hard reset a half dozen times and never pulled my SD card and its not been a problem. And if you have alot of bookmarks you'd like to save you can get the free app BookmarkSB and back them up. Also if you go to your app downloads right after the reset they will be there for you to re-download. One time I waited and after a short while they disappeared, so just a heads up on that. Good luck.

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I just did a hard reset the other day and I pulled my card based upon recommendations from other users. That may or may not be the way to go. Good luck regardless.

jeffreykime

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Very worthwhile to do every once in awhile. I had downloaded a bunch of apps that were killing my battery. After hard reset and selective restocking of apps I'm much better off.

w1kk3d

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
You can also do a hard reset by doing the following:

Turn the power off. If your HTC EVO 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
Hold the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button
You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

Reactions: dustin_thewind

TheBundo

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Remove your SD card before you do anything. This will save your contacts, phoyos, etc. All your widgets and apps are gone. It's like getting the new phone out of the box.

Not at all. Not only is the SD card left untouched, but your phone number is still programmed in, etc. Not at all like NIB

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
You can also do a hard reset by doing the following:

Turn the power off. If your HTC EVO 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
Hold the Volume Down button
You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

I am new to Android and have looked for this on several places with no answer. Can anyone please explain what the Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock options actually do? Clear storage is the only one explained on blogs and posts over the internet. Thank you.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Recovery deals with backups and restoring the phone.

Simlock deals with the phone status and being locked to one carrier. When you hit the button, I believe the phone looks for files needed to "lock" the phone to a particular carrier. Now, I don't know if consumers can really do anything here, or if it applies to anything beside GSM phones.

Fastboot I had to look up: Fastboot - Android Wiki

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
... So, I would say the short story would be to avoid messing with those features unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing.

The only two I've ever messed around with are "clear storage and reboot". And I only use clear storage because I wanted a clear all storage on my phone.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Beware! You will have to reformat your SD card after a factory reset.

?? What do you mean? I've done a factory reset while leaving my SD card in and everything on my card is still there with normal access, as have others commented on this thread.

Thx.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12