Stay with Evo or switch to Epic

jonathanlc2005

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Samsung's Epic 4G for Sprint seems to live up to its name -- Engadget

Kinda interesting that it has a physical keyboard. Probably is going to be a brick at 14.x mm thick but at least it gives people options. 4' vs 4.3' screen. Samsung super AMOLED seems nice for sunlight visibility. No kickstands though which sucks.

What do you guys think will come out on top?

Either way Sprint had BETTER put on an extra $10 "premium data" fee unless they want a riot by Evo owners ;)

Samsung has a history of great ideas, bad performance. A900, ace, a640, a840, qchat, moment and so on

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
No matter what YOU choose, someone will complain. So let the choice be theirs and then they can't complain about the choice.

You're going to get some flack for abandoning AT&T and the iPhone either way, since it's a status symbol and we're talking about school-age girls.

Oh, and I might add... if you've got a college-aged daughter, you can always tell her "If you want to keep the iPhone, that's fine... You can open an account, transfer the number and pay the bill yourself."

speedtrip

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
But remember one thing , Kids like fads and smart phones are no different if there freinds have Iphones they MUST have one .

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm 19, pay my own Sprint bill and have myself an Evo. I never had the desire to get the Iphone after I had my fun messing around with the Ipod Touch (First Gen). Personally, the epic's keyboard will be easier to type on as physical keyboards are a win in my case. Swype is a nice offering though, but I doubt that your daughter wants to have to worry about installing a new keyboard and all that stuffs.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
You, might not have a choice but to get the Epic because as it stands right now it is very difficult to locate an Evo right now whether through retail stores or online...nobody has them.

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd be very surprised if someone used to carrying a slim touchscreen phone would want a slider. The Samsung is similar in size to the Evo - except the part where it's nearly double the thickness.

In any case, having grow up with several teenage sisters, I would highly recommend that you let them pick. Your choice WILL be wrong.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Money is a powerful motivator... and one of them is college aged.

Pwnst_r: why the Epic for a teenybopper?

I would think that a girl would opt for the smaller screen and most girls from my experience prefer the physical k/b, even those that have iPhones.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Could you get them a simple voice-only phone with an inexpensive plan, and buy each an iPod Touch? Then they could keep all their Apple apps and still participate in the teen queen Apple goodness.

brittonx

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just let them choose. Once the Epic is in the Sprint stores, go down and let them hold them. That way, if they complain later, it was their choice ;)

ron87

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm 22 and in college. Most students have either the iPhone or Blackberry because they are somewhat status symbols. Let them chose the one they want. Since its Sprint they only have like 3 real choices. Blackberry 9650, Evo, or Epic. Since you said they are not geeks they'll probably go BB due to bbm.

Or you could make them pay their own bill and be somewhat headache free but its all on you.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I personally would go with the Epic for several reasons. Games and videos should be better on it considering the much better GPU. The screen is also 24bit, so things will look better when sharing pictures. The size is more managable. I have very small hands and I find it hard to hit the home key when just holding my Evo in my right hand. The TouchWiz interface is much more similar to that of the iPhone, so it might make the transition easier.

If I had to pick between the two right now, I would probably go with the Epic just for size reasons, but it is a very tough call. I would let them make the decision as others have said.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I would think the Evo would be more to her liking since she is already used to a touch screen, even for typing. I hated the virtual keyboard before I got the Evo, but it's nice on here. I would also think that the Epic would be a little 'bulky' for a female. Good luck!

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
although the epic has a physical keyboard, users can use the software keyboard or swype. I was a physical keyboard person, but after swype i never turned back. Especially since your daughters have an iphone, the evo and epic have software keyboards so either phone will work fine. Plus, a lot of iphone people flock to my phone when they see me texting with swype.

Evo Longoria

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm 19, pay my own Sprint bill and have myself an Evo. I never had the desire to get the Iphone after I had my fun messing around with the Ipod Touch (First Gen). Personally, the epic's keyboard will be easier to type on as physical keyboards are a win in my case. Swype is a nice offering though, but I doubt that your daughter wants to have to worry about installing a new keyboard and all that stuffs.

Yeah, but Swype is no joke. I'm not sure I'll even know how to function when this beta expires. I was a "have to have a hard keyboard" types until I got an iTouch and realized that not only could I function fine with a soft kbd, I actually preferred it. I had a Moto Droid for a bit and very soon never used the hard kbd at all. Now, with the EVO being so much larger than the iTouch, soft typing is a breeze, but with Swype it's on a whole other level, and much faster than the two-thumb method.

tommy m

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I really like the Galaxy line and I would switch if I wasn't so used to sense. So people hate it, but I like it. I played with the vibrant and captivate and they are great but I don't like how they navigate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae