Rumor: Froyo on 7/30

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm optimistic it'll come in August. the HTC Hero fiasco was in the past before learning from mistakes etc., so I don't think the speculative date is that outrageous

in the past? the htc hero isn't even a year old. the worst of the whole thing happened towards the very end when every few days there was a new rumored date....the date would come and go without a word from sprint. THIS JUST HAPPENED. the hero barely got the update to 2.1 towards the end of may.

why i don't think it will be out in august: droid doesn't even have it yet and droid runs a vanilla android. droid received the update to 2.1 in early march. and htc hero with sense came a whole 2 and a half months later after several devices had already received the update. even the eris on verizon beat the hero.

stlfrosti

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
A major update like this one, would that just be self downloaded and the phone updating itself???

Or would this take on the likes of flashing a ROM were you would have to get your puter involved and such??

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
With the news hitting today about Droid Incredible getting Froyo end of July, early August. It gives the rumor about the EVO 4G getting Froyo some hope. This also means HTC has been working with Froyo to work with Sense for a little while now. Let's just hope we are not that far behind the Incredible for Froyo. I would take by the end of August.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
With the news hitting today about Droid Incredible getting Froyo end of July, early August. It gives the rumor about the EVO 4G getting Froyo some hope. This also means HTC has been working with Froyo to work with Sense for a little while now. Let's just hope we are not that far behind the Incredible for Froyo. I would take by the end of August.

Spoke to another tech today for another issue I had with my Evo. A tech I spoke to last week and the one today both said that the update is in Sprints hands now. They both said that HTC already finished Froyo for the Evo and Sprint now has it making sure it "works on their network" and of course adding their bs apps and surely stripping some of the fun out. Are they right? I would assume so. But as a previous Hero owner, I'll believe it when I type "hey I got the update" on my Evo lol.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
For all those citing the lack of Hero upgrades remember that the Hero was not a flagship phone that is sport brand new technology only available on sprint. It is very much in Sprint's interest to keep their prize phone as shiny as possible.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
For all those citing the lack of Hero upgrades remember that the Hero was not a flagship phone that is sport brand new technology only available on sprint. It is very much in Sprint's interest to keep their prize phone as shiny as possible.

Yep. They want to have a 2.2 Android phone to compete with Verizon and the others that will shortly have it. The Evo is Sprint's flagship; the phone they have the huge mock-up of that goes on top of the winning car's roof at every NASCAR race, the phone that Sprint is riding to the bank. The sooner it's running Froyo, the better.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if our EVO will still be the flagship, once the EPIC 4G comes out.. I'm just saying....

I don't think it is. I mean Sprint made a big push for EVO and 4g. EVO has is their "first" phone and with the EVO sprint wants to create a new beginning. The Epic will be adding on to this new beginning

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ya I haven't seena single Epic advertisement out yet. I saw tons for the Evo leading up to it. Not to mention how strong they're still pushing it. There's a booth in one of the many local malls here that had 4 Evo's two huge 5 foot Evo's with touchscreen's and a bunch of other stuff. Not to mention all the posters n commercials n stuff. I think the Evo will be the flagship for a while.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Ya I haven't seena single Epic advertisement out yet. I saw tons for the Evo leading up to it. Not to mention how strong they're still pushing it. There's a booth in one of the many local malls here that had 4 Evo's two huge 5 foot Evo's with touchscreen's and a bunch of other stuff. Not to mention all the posters n commercials n stuff. I think the Evo will be the flagship for a while.

You saw tons of evo adds prior to release? Are you sure? They were far and few between, and only a day or two before release.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it is. I mean Sprint made a big push for EVO and 4g. EVO has is their "first" phone and with the EVO sprint wants to create a new beginning. The Epic will be adding on to this new beginning

There's a big difference between a carrier's flagship phone vs what may or not be the best phone on a carrier at any given time. The latter is generally up to debate.

The difference in a flagship phone is that the carrier usually has exclusivity with it, thus the big push to sell even in the event a "better" phone may be available. I'm pretty sure everyone will agree the Instinct was never the bets phone on Sprint, and the Pre debate would probably be up in the air. But, remember, for the most part, carrier couldn't care less about what phone you have, they just want you on a two year contract.

Sprint won't push the Epic that heavily because basically the same phone is available on every other carrier. Devoting any heavy advertising can lead to them shooting themselves in the foot. They'll rely on the lower cost plans to score new customers based on the Epic.

However, not everyone wants an Evo, so the Epic makes a nice alternative so all bases are covered.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You saw tons of evo adds prior to release? Are you sure? They were far and few between, and only a day or two before release.

There weren't many TV commercials, but it was all over the internet and lots of print ads.

I remember seeing ad with "Sign up to be notified when it's available" adds way back in early April I think.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
There weren't many TV commercials, but it was all over the internet and lots of print ads.

I remember seeing ad with "Sign up to be notified when it's available" adds way back in early April I think.

Ya there was only one commercial that I remembered seeing a few days before launch. But there was tons of print ads. All over the malls there were ads. Billboards off the highways. The "sign up to be notified" was around in late april as well at the malls. I was really surprised at how much advertising I was seeing right before launch to be honest. Definitely the most advertising I've ever seen for a phone... If only they actually HAD Evo's to sell...

@Darth Mo Spot on about the flagship issue too btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.