I don't know what to do about the update

krisrock

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well I am yet to get my HTC EVO but the store said they should have some today and so that got me thinking about if i should wait until August 3rd when Froyo is released.

So i'm wondering if i should go ahead and setup everything and download all the apps i want because i'm not sure if everything is gonna be deleted when i update to Froyo on Tuesday or should i just wait until Tuesday like be phoneless until Tuesday and then on Tuesday setup

But will the Froyo update delete all apps and settings?

Just want to say that for sure im getting it but im wondering if i should setup or not

Last edited:

larryyork22

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Everything I have read says it will not erase your settings. So if I were you, and they have some EVO's available now, I would go get it. From what I understand there is a shortage of EVO's & it is only going to get worse until they get the screen supplies fixed. Wouldn't you kick yourself if you waited & then went in on the 3rd & they tell you, "sorry just sold the last one & don't know when we will be getting more?" :cool:

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Get the EVO why you can. Most of the time, the one's shipped won't have Froyo on it anyways. Plus, you don't know when an EVO will be available again. Just get it!!!!!!

krisrock

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
well yeah get it i will for sure because like I've been waiting for two weeks but wat im asking is if i should go ahead and setup everything or wait until Tuesday to setup my phone because i dont know if the Froyo update will delete everything

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Froyo shouldn't delete everything - no one would upgrade if it did - and to make app reloading easy, load AppBrain and Fast Web Install and then you'll have a list of everything you've got. Then, even if Froyo nuked your phone, you'll be able to reconstitute your app load off the AppBrain list.

krisrock

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Froyo shouldn't delete everything - no one would upgrade if it did - and to make app reloading easy, load AppBrain and Fast Web Install and then you'll have a list of everything you've got. Then, even if Froyo nuked your phone, you'll be able to reconstitute your app load off the AppBrain list.

So it won't delete my settings but it will delete my apps that ive installed?

bozman42

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE - The Android 2.2 update will not wipe your personal data (contacts, apps, settings, photos, etc.). That said, it is always prudent to back up your device before any major software update. There are many backup utilities available in Android Market.

Last edited:

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I am yet to get my HTC EVO but the store said they should have some today and so that got me thinking about if i should wait until August 3rd when Froyo is released.

So i'm wondering if i should go ahead and setup everything and download all the apps i want because i'm not sure if everything is gonna be deleted when i update to Froyo on Tuesday or should i just wait until Tuesday like be phoneless until Tuesday and then on Tuesday setup

But will the Froyo update delete all apps and settings?

Just want to say that for sure im getting it but im wondering if i should setup or not

Buying the phone on Tuesday... will probably get the same phone if you buy it today. Meaning, you'll have to take the OTA update regardless.

My suggestion is to buy it now. I have a low degree of confidence in the ability of any retail people to assist you for any upgrade idiosyncrasies anyway. By waiting until Tuesday, you don't gain any additional value.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Run, don't walk. Get the phone.

The only thing that might happen is that some of your widgets in your HTC Sense screens may need to be re-installed. They won't be deleted from the phone, but you might have to place some of them back on the pages.

This happened to me with the last OTA update. Not a big deal. Just make note of what widgets you have loaded or don't customize Sense too much before the 2.2 update.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The more approriate backup software question is...is there one that will automatically back up all the apps without requiring your input for each app to restore?

derek5l

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Good LORD!!! You found an EVO that hasnt been refurb'd or returned? Frickin buy it NOW! First download should be for AppBrain. Then download all the apps you want, and sync with AppBrain. The update will have no effect on your apps this way once u sync up after Froyo.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just loaded the leaked one that's in the stickied thread and nothing got deleted, but the Marketplace Downloads menu only had one program listed, while AppBrain had everything.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I just loaded the leaked one that's in the stickied thread and nothing got deleted, but the Marketplace Downloads menu only had one program listed, while AppBrain had everything.

This IS probably cause Google has not yet updated the market since the official update hasn't been released yet. Same thing happened with the nexus update. Google then finally updated the market for the update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech