02-18-2011 04:19 PM
31 12
tools
    This has been a pet peeve of mine. I save all of my contacts as a 10-digit number, but often dial the number from memory, using only 7 digits. When I do this, the phone doesn't recognize that the contact is saved, and shows it as an unsaved number.

Ex:

I want to call 123-555-1212, which is saved in my contacts.
    I dial 5551212.
    Phone (Evo) doesn't recognize, and then shows as "unsaved contact"

Is there some setting that I'm missing that fixes this?
    07-30-2010 07:12 PM
    Is there some setting that I'm missing that fixes this?
    No, this started with the Hero's 2.1 update, and apparently Sprint thinks only exact matches need apply, vs the old fuzzy match. Then they propagated the same silliness to the Evo

There's no configuration option for it.

You could always use a replacement dialer.
    nightmare likes this.
    07-30-2010 07:28 PM
    I agree that this is a huge fail. Every phone I have ever had would match the contact properly.

I contacted HTC, and they said there is no "problem," it is working as designed... I told them that the problem is the design, but of course the run-around just continued... so I gave up.
    nightmare likes this.
    07-30-2010 08:26 PM
    If it annoys you that much, just add the seven digit number to whatever contacts you dial manually. Can't be that many, is it?

I remember on the Palm Pre forums that someone had contacts with the same seven digit number but different area codes and the phone would arbitrarily choose which contact to associate. While the odds of that are like one in a billion, I think the 10 digit method is the proper one.
    sed51329 likes this.
    07-30-2010 08:40 PM
    If it annoys you that much, just add the seven digit number to whatever contacts you dial manually. Can't be that many, is it?

I remember on the Palm Pre forums that someone had contacts with the same seven digit number but different area codes and the phone would arbitrarily choose which contact to associate. While the odds of that are like one in a billion, I think the 10 digit method is the proper one.
    iagree
    07-30-2010 08:44 PM
    All of my contacts are saved with 10-digit numbers.

I think that's a really ****-poor decision to not do something that's been a feature in a cell phone since I can remember. Even more disappointing that it wasn't always that way, but HTC/Sprint made it do that.

I guess I can try and find a dialer that works a little better, any suggstions?
    07-31-2010 05:16 AM
    So you remember your contacts' 7-digit numbers but not their names? Because I just start typing their name and they appear near instantly.
    07-31-2010 05:25 AM
    That also bugs me. Dialing their number is more natural than dialing their name. I have multiple Chris/Christopher/etc so dialing by name would require me to remember if I have them by whatever name in the phone book. Simply, there is no excuse for it not to be able to dial with just seven digits. Making an excuse puts you on the path with hose iPhone guys who always make excuses for a problem with their phone. It annoys me when they do it, so please realize that the Evo is not without fault.
    07-31-2010 07:01 AM
    I agree that this is something that needs to be fixed. The fact that the phone can't recognize the 7 digit number of a contact is really poor design.
    Contacts need to have the 10 digit number for sms purposes.
    Entering a name to bring up the correct number is not a valid solution.
    Entering the number and having the phone know who you are calling is what it needs to do.
    07-31-2010 07:01 AM
    So you remember your contacts' 7-digit numbers but not their names? Because I just start typing their name and they appear near instantly.
    It's quicker for me just to dial the # than for me to figure out which keys to type based on their first names.

I came from a Pre, so I also liked being able to search by initials to find contacts and dial from there. I used that a lot as well.
    07-31-2010 07:27 AM
    Maybe I am mistaken but I thought that some places in the U.S. now require all ten digits to be dialed. So maybe that's why this is set up this way. Just a thought.
    08-01-2010 01:15 AM
    same here.
    08-01-2010 01:35 AM
    Can anyone recommend a good alternative dialer, preferably free and with landscape support?
    08-01-2010 09:33 AM
    I guess I just don't understand how a "cutting edge" phone like the Evo can't have a simple feature like that incorporated in it. Plenty of other, lower cost non-Android phones have it, and they actually bothered to remove the feature? C'mon, that makes no sense.
    08-01-2010 11:23 AM
    Thanks for this post. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks being able to dial 7 digits should find a contact. My flip phone had abbreviated dialing so I could dial the last 4 digits of the number and I could find the contact. It should be a basic feature.
    08-01-2010 12:15 PM
    It's quicker for me just to dial the # than for me to figure out which keys to type based on their first names.

I came from a Pre, so I also liked being able to search by initials to find contacts and dial from there. I used that a lot as well.
    You can search by initials on the EVO, too.

(also came from the pre)

Or just hold down the search button and tell it to call x name or number without looking at it...
    08-01-2010 12:38 PM
    Well you would want the 10 digit one in case you travel out of your home area code and need to dial back, or else you would manually have to dial the 10 digit number.

I believe my Curve 8330 did this, too...
    08-03-2010 08:49 AM
    Glad to know I am not the only one thinking this is stupid and bush league. I love everything else about my EVO but it bugs me that 7 digit vs 10 digit appear to be different contacts. Makes call history pretty well useless.
    01-04-2011 02:16 PM
    I'm so used to using names to dial, I don't even look at or remember numbers, anymore.
    01-04-2011 04:22 PM
    Hey, give me a call: 204-6894.

Now, if you call that number, who are you actually calling? Me? If I'm not in your area code, then no, you'd be calling someone completely different (or no one at all). That's the problem with seven-digit numbers, and the reason why quite a few areas require the full ten-digit number for dialing nowadays. With area-code overlap, there just isn't any reliable way of ensuring that calling someone with a seven-digit number is going to get to the right person.

Since your phone is mobile, you can't always assume you're going to be in the same area code; so why trust seven-digit numbers at all?
    01-04-2011 04:46 PM
    Since your phone is mobile, you can't always assume you're going to be in the same area code; so why trust seven-digit numbers at all?
    Perhaps it's a regional difference?

I live in Chicagoland where we have 10 different area codes that can be considered local. Factor in a lot of people my age (I'm 31) got their first cell phones while away at college, I probably have 15-20 different area codes for friends that live within a few miles. For those reasons, phone numbers are always 10 digits unless you're giving the number for an in town business.

At this point, it's become more natural to dial the 10 digit number than seven since it's needed more often than not. But, in an area that only has one area code, I can see where it could be annoying.

But as I said months ago, it's easier to add the seven digit iteration of the number to the same contact than it is to complain about it...
    01-05-2011 11:05 AM
    10 digits are required in the Atlanta market.. It weirds me out to go on vacation to some place (FL was the most recent) where all the numbers are xxx-xxxx on businesses.. Hasn't been that way in Atlanta in years.
    01-05-2011 11:59 AM
    In the NY market for cellphones, the 10 digit number is required. In fact, this has been the case since I had my first nokia phone in 1998.

Even landlines, since there are so many area codes in NYC (and then even more again with the tri-state area), it has always been natural to recall the 10digit number.
    01-05-2011 02:01 PM
    Isn't that the point? Don't cell phones have an area code themselves. If I am out of area and dial a seven digit number I would expect to get a message saying I have to dial an area code first whether I am dialing home or a local number at my current location (since my phone area code doesn't match). It used to be that way with cell phones. I have an area code on all my numbers because I do travel. And when I am out of town I expect to dial an area code for contacts in my "home" location. But when I am home I am not required to dial all 10 digits, so why do I have to dial 10 digits for Evo to recognize the contact. Doesn't seem user friendly to me. All my other phones (there were numerous) acted this way.
    02-18-2011 12:49 AM
    You mean you can make phone calls with an Evo? Interesting...

I put everyone on speed-dial that I call regularly...
    02-18-2011 02:26 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD