Organizing contacts by last name with Froyo

creighton

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought Froyo was supposed to allow contacts to be organized by last name. I actually had all of my exchange contacts organized by last name before the Froyo update, but now everything is Firstname Lastname. Is it possible to sort by last name first?

creighton

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the display settings option. Something that may be removed with SenseUI? I know I had the contacts organized by last name with 2.1 and Sense but can't seem to figure out how to do it with 2.2.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I know you can do it individually, one at a time by going into people, and hit edit, then tap name, and then use Display name to change to last name first. I am trying to figure how to do it all at once.

creighton

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The display name option is not there anymore for individual contacts. It appears that has been removed as well. With almost 850 contacts that would have taken a long time anyway!

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Try a reboot. I was unable to add a number from my phone log early. Reboot re added the option. However I am not seeing the option anywhere but I am not sure where it was.

Varian

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Any way to get the stock "Contacts" App instead of the SenseUI "People" app?

I can sort & display by last,first on my Nexus One, but not on the Evo 4G -- both running 2.2, of course. It looks to be a limitation of the app, and not necessarily the OS. I tried searching the market to no avail.

I also noticed that when syncing with Exchange, it re-sorts it in Outlook as well -- the "File As" has changed to First Last...which is a huge problems.

bzxzlg

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to read the initial post ... I thought it was something I had done ... lol I've been going through my contacts in exchange and "fixing them" ... Slowly - all so very slowly - things are getting back to normal.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about the stock contacts app, but take a look at Better Contacts. It may satisfy your needs. it also allows searching on company name, in addition to first and last name, which I find invaluable.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
The display name option is not there anymore for individual contacts. It appears that has been removed as well. With almost 850 contacts that would have taken a long time anyway!

It still works fine. I have an EVO with Froyo and can still change it one by one. But, just like you I have around 300-400 contacts and that will take to long. I am looking for a universal setting to change the display name option.

By the way, this is how you do it on the EVO for Froyo.

Tap People, tap a contact. Scroll down to the bottom and tap edit contact. Select which contact, if there is more than one for that person, you would to edit. Tap the box where the name is on top. You will see Display Name. Change it there from first name, last name to last name, first name. I doubt you want to do 800 contacts that way, but it does work. I don't know of an editor that can change all of the contacts at once to Last name, first name. That Better Contacts does that inside its program, but doesn't edit HTC People's App, at least that is the way it sounds.

Last edited:

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
It still works fine. I have an EVO with Froyo and can still change it one by one. But, just like you I have around 300-400 contacts and that will take to long. I am looking for a universal setting to change the display name option.

By the way, this is how you do it on the EVO for Froyo.

Tap People, tap a contact. Scroll down to the bottom and tap edit contact. Select which contact, if there is more than one for that person, you would to edit. Tap the box where the name is on top. You will see Display Name. Change it there from first name, last name to last name, first name. I doubt you want to do 800 contacts that way, but it does work. I don't know of an editor that can change all of the contacts at once to Last name, first name. That Better Contacts does that inside its program, but doesn't edit HTC People's App, at least that is the way it sounds.
This is how I have to do it on my HTC Incredible running Froyo.
(Came upon this thread by searching about how to organize by last name. What a pain).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
prior to my EVO - i used PalmOS for 10+ years and of course the PalmOS PIMs sort Contacts by Last Name. i thought First Name sort would bother me but it really doesn't. when i want to find a contact i just go People--->Search and start typing First or Last name. very easy and quick. so for me - it doesn't matter.

i do see that the new Gmail contacts allows the Last Name sort. i left that as First Name too because i have gotten used to it and now actually prefer it that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance