Gmail Sync Issues After Froyo Update

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have three gmail accounts and only one was updating (primary) after the 2.2 install last night.

I deleted the two secondary accounts and recreated them. One of them will now update along with primary but one is still being stubborn and I don't know why.

BTW, how is a particular email account set as the "primary" for the phone. I've looked all over the phone settings for a spot where this is selected but can't seem to find a place where this is specified.

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Who can we write to at HTC to complain? Customer service? Email is a very crucial aspect of a smartphone that should work correctly, especially gmail accounts. I can't understand how Google/HTC/Sprint could overlook this...

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I think the primary one is the one you used when first setting up the phone. Probably the one that syncs your contacts. But yeah I don't see where to specifically set one as default or primary.

----
Sent from my HTC Evo 4G because it WAS the droid I was looking for.

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
well since I have tried everything to get the second email account to push to my phone and it does not look like a solution is forth comming other than trying to wipe the phone completley with a hard reset, i have forwarded my secondary email to my primary email so that it gets pushed to the phone. I guess on the plus side this gets us the unified inbox that i have been waiting for :)???

update: ok i could not take it and i did a hard reset, so that nobody else wastes their time, it did not work for me as well!!! no change to my second gmail account pushing. I even checked before I added the rest of my apps so that there would be no conflict and nada.

Last edited:

bucko21

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll join in to the chorus now.. Mine is not working either. I have 4 accounts set up last night they seemed to work because when I read this thread I tested it and sent emails to each acct. NOW they are dead in the water.. Oh well... Lets hope this one gets fixed fast...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
try the delete-->add------->delete------>add Gmail Accounts.

mine is fixed but not sure which step (see above) did it.

mikedallas

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
More to the fire...

I'm relieved it's not just me! Has anyone reported this to Sprint?

I've got a few other things around this to relate:

1. Since the upgrade, I've been getting an error on my primary account under the Sync details. It said something like "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." An error was usually flagged next to Sync Contacts, but sometimes it would be on Gmail or Calendar as well. I saw a note on another forum to clear the Contacts Storage app from memory to resolve that. Steps below cleared this error, and Primary acct seems to be OK.
2. Under 2.1 I was configured with 3 accounts - my primary (personal Gmail), and two Google Apps domains, one "free" edition for my domain, and one "premier" for work. After the upgrade I couldn't tell that ANY of these were syncing, and my "premier" definitely was NOT. I've gone through some of the steps Gekko mentioned, and haven't been able to resolve the issue.

Here's what I've done. I apologize for the length - just wanted to share some of the steps in case anyone did something slightly different and had success:
1. Removed all secondary accounts, leaving only the primary.
2. Went into Applications->Gmail and removed data, then did Force Stop.
3. Restarted Gmail app.
4. Went into Applications->Contacts Storage and removed data.
5. Went to Accounts and Sync and forced resync of primary account. Contacts did not immediately show up.
6. Rebooted phone (power down, power up). Contacts restored for primary account. Sent a test email to primary account. Notification received instantly, all looks good.
7. Went to Accounts and Sync to add secondary accounts again.
8. Added "free" Apps account. System set up for Sync Contacts and Sync Calendar. Sync Calendar presented the same "Sync is experiencing problems" error. Hit Sync now, error cleared. Sync Gmail did NOT show up in the list.
9. Added "premier" Apps accounts. Contacts and Calendar synced without errors, Sync Gmail did NOT show up in the list.
10. Went to Gmail app. All three accounts show up in the accounts list, but the secondaries show up as "not synced". When you select the account, it says it is not synced and gives instructions to sync (Hit Menu->Refresh to load once, Accounts/Sync to set up sync).
11. Hit Menu->Refresh on premier account. Mail loaded.
12. Sent a test message. No notification, new mail didn't appear in Inbox.
13. Opened a message. Returned to Inbox. No data present, says Loading conversations. After a bit, it loads mail through July 31, but nothing after. Hit Refresh again...new mail loaded, but notifications not working.
14. Went to Accounts/Sync for premier account. Sync Gmail now appears in the list for the secondary accounts, but is unchecked. Checked the box - also checked for Contacts.
15. Repeated above for other secondary account.
16. Cleared all notifications.
17. Sent a test message - no luck.
18. Created a new appointment using desktop for my Premier account - appointment synced to phone almost instantly.
19. Created a new contact using desktop for Premier - contact did NOT sync.
20. Created a new contact using desktop for primary acct - contact synced quickly.
21. Sent another test email to primary - notification on phone right away.

At this point I'm no longer getting sync errors, but sync clearly isn't working properly.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
i didnt read the whole thred, hope its not been covered. but when i updated to froyo, my secondary gmail account would not update emails in real time. i finally found in main phone settings, under accounts/sync, where it lists all your accounts, the secondary gmail does NOT get the checkbox checked by default when you add the account. once i checked that box it worked like 2.1. hope this wasnt already posted...

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine randomly started working perfectly this morning after issues since Monday's update, was something discretely pushed out last night? Makes me happy if so!

bucko21

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine worked last night after the update for a little while, since then it's been out.. Hopefully, they'll fix this fast.. I don't mind the quietness without the phone constantly telling me I have mail, but it feels like when I moved to the Droid from the Berry.. No push mail is driving me crazy.. LOL

pgrtag

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
i didnt read the whole thred, hope its not been covered. but when i updated to froyo, my secondary gmail account would not update emails in real time. i finally found in main phone settings, under accounts/sync, where it lists all your accounts, the secondary gmail does NOT get the checkbox checked by default when you add the account. once i checked that box it worked like 2.1. hope this wasnt already posted...

Where are you talking about? I don't see under "ACCOUNT/SYNC" the option you're referring to.

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Well a partial solution is to go with a different email client. I downloaded k9 and am now back to having both accounts push. Can't archive mail but otherwise it's good to go.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20