Gmail Sync Issues After Froyo Update

ozymandias#AC

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Adrian
I did what you suggested. Cleared data. Did a sync all after that. And soon after my secondary gmail syncs automatically again. Thanks so much dude! You are a lifesaver. This update has been a pain for me as I was having Swype problems right after the update as well and had to reinstall.

bucko21

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I didn't do anything and suddenly this afternoon all started syncing again.. Either HTC is pushing out updates to the phones OR like I said in another post it is an issue between Google and Froyo.. Mines working for now...

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
i know i'm a broken record. but did everyone check in the main phone settings, under accounts and sync, and actually expand their secondary gmail account, and make sure gmail was checked? cause mine had gmail, contacts, calendar, but gmail was unchecked, while the other 2 were checked. i missed email for 3 days before i figured that out.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, all of my accounts were selected to sync email and the secondary accounts still failed to update without a manual refresh every time.

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine started working on its own this morning. I did a manual sync and then it just kept working after that. I tried everything else suggested in the days leading up to that so it appears that it just sort of happened on its own.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll take your word for it.. ANother thing I just noticed. I just got mail, opened it up and it disapeared. I had to change to my All Mail folder to read it.. It is no longer in my inbox.. This stuff is driving me nuts...

This happens to me all the time, I have to go to "Search" then "Label:inbox" etc...

I do believe GMAIL is doing something on their end - they've had to make some big changes with the ability to now open 3 accounts at once on the web interface.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Like many here I was having the same "no sync" problem with my non-primary gmail accounts. Here is how I fixed my issue. YMMV.......
NOTE: There might be a shorter way, but I will state exactly what I did verbatim.

1) Made sure my accounts were setup for sync.
(Setting-> Accounts & Sync)

2) Went to Settings->Applications->Manage Application->ALL->Gmail and Pressed the clear data button.

3) At this point I was getting Force Closed issues when I clicked on my GMAIL Unread count widget. Just go to the App Tray and load up the gmail app. It will will give you a message asking you to wait for mail to set up. I just cancelled out.

4) Rebooted

5) err message on my secondary gmail unread count widget went away.

6) Sent a test email to my secondary gmail account and 5 seconds later (literally...I timed it)...it popped up on my phone.

I have since received a handful of emails from various sources and things are looking good.

Hope this help.

I was having the push issues with my additional accounts, and this is what worked for me, and I am guessing the CLEAR DATA (NOT "cache") is what did it.

With mine, I started by deleting ALL of my gmail accounts except the one that I set the phone up with.

I then did the CLEAR DATA option inside APPLICATIONS>MANAGE>ALL>GMAIL. You will get a warning message, click OK.

Rebooted.
Added in one account at a time. When you set the account back up, you will notice that it will bring up the ability to sync contacts and calendar, and won't bring in SYNC on the "mail" portion until you GO TO THE MAIL ACCOUNT and MANUALLY REFRESH. Then go back to Accts/Sync and put a checkmark next to SYNC GMAIL. Do this for all of your additional accounts.

Just for grins, I then tapped on SYNC ALL using the new Sync All widget (which I was using when push wasn't working for me)

Send yourself a test message. Mine even loaded on my phone before it hit the web interface.

adrianq

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Even though my email is still syncing ONE way, changes I make on my phone don't get pushed to gmail servers until other email come in.

I have also noticed that my 'syncing' isn't 100%. I will say it is high 90%, but I have noticed a couple of 'hiccups'.

According to the google mobile help forum it seems it is specific to HTC phones running 2.2.

Not sure if links are ok to post, but here is the link to the official google support forum:
Gmail PUSH second google account broken since froyo - Google Mobile Help

Hopefully google and htc find a solution soon.

EvoMCS

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Gmail 2nd acct sync

Same problem here. I have tried the "fixes". This is not due to an account not being set to sync. All of my settings are correct. Only the SECONDARY email account is not syncing. Google has acknowledged the problem and said to just check it manually until there is a fix.

Danger44

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I fixed my Gmail sync issue. I wasn't getting any notifications, and it wasn't even checking for new mail.

All I did was add one of my accounts to the "Mail" application, which also triggers notifications. Once those notifications started firing, the ones for the "Gmail" app started firing as well.

pancho13#AC

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having issues with the calendar syncing properly. When I input an event, it saves it properly and all is well, but as soon as I try to add or delete somthing from the description section my EVO acts weird and doesn't show anything that I have typed in the description section when I originally created the event on my calendar. I have 2.2 installed...Is it a glitch in 2.2?

willsurg#AC

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
geez, I decided to twitch back from k9 to gmail to see if any progress had been made ( I like have archive ability with gmail) so yesterday switched the notifications ets back to gmail and bang.....no second email notification. I was to tired to putz with it some more and left it for today to get back on k9 but magically this morning the second email account is working. You would think such a pillar program such as gmail, from google, regardless if its a server side errour or piece of crap progam on the phone whould be have passed through alpha testing internally rather than being released into the wild. I'll see how long this last then I will try maildroid and report back.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
^Same.

Mine worked for about a day over the weekend and is now back to not pushing secondary gmail. Come on Google, fix your ****.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I only have one gmail account and it hasn't synced for days. My Twitter (I use HTC Peep) hasn't been syncing either for about the same amount of days. The HTC weather doesn't update either. When I hit update automatically and leave the screen then go back it's no longer checked. I dunno what's going on but it's extremely aggravating.

ITSec_Guy

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Possible Fix

I'm trying to get people try this to see if others are able to duplicate (validate) my results because I believe that I found a fix. I don't usually use my secondary account on my phone but when I tried to today and noticed that it wasn't sync'ing properly I decided to look into it and the VERY first thing that I noticed (as soon as I tried the temporary work-around that everyone is recommending) was that it did an update for the applications on my phone as well (as if the update had been stuck/waiting). In extreme summary:

First - What I DID NOT DO: REBOOT or CLEAR EMAIL CACHE!

While I would not bet my life on it I WILL SAY that unassociating my AppBrain account with my primary Google account (and instead associating it with a secondary account) make it start to sync both primary and secondary email... Maybe it's a fluke... I don't know... But it seems like a LOT more than a coincidence!!!

I removed AppBrain from the phone, created a new account on AppBrain.com using my secondary account, reinstalled AppBrain and logged in using my secondary account credentials. Worked first try. Not kidding. Try it.