Can't connect EVO to WinXP as a USB drive

hsfrey

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
When I try to connect my EVO to my Windows XP desktop through a USB port, it connects for about a second (connection window flashes up on the EVO, "My Computer" shows a new device connected, and connection .wav plays).

It then immediately disconnects (EVO connection window disappears, device disappears from "My Computer", and disconnection .wav plays.)

No error messages or notifications appear on either the EVO or the PC.

HTC tech support had me download the HTC Sync program, which didn't help.
(I don't even want to sync, just transfer files manually.)

I did NOT have this problem when trying to connect to a friend's computer.

So, the problem is not with the EVO, nor with the cable, but with my PC.

My antivirus program is Microsoft Security essentials, but I have it set NOT to scan USB drives, so I doubt that that is the trouble.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to fix it?

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I had the exact same problem and I am running xp also. I gave up and went back to the cyanogen nightly builds.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
See if this helps: go to Control Panel|System and go to the hardware tab and click on Device Manager.

Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand by clicking the +. See if there's an entry that has a yellow triangle, right click, and select update driver.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried that

See if this helps: go to Control Panel|System and go to the hardware tab and click on Device Manager.

Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand by clicking the +. See if there's an entry that has a yellow triangle, right click, and select update driver.

I tried that when I had the issue and nothing wrong there. I have tried several Foyo builds with no troubles but the leaked version that was rooted would not allow me to connect to my PC at all. Went back to Cyanogen C6 and I can connect with no issues at all. That wasnt the official build so they still had a few kinks in that version obviously.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Try this: download the ES File Explorer app from the Market. It has a LAN button and lets you view all of the PCs on your LAN; from there you can connect to the shares that you have made available on each PC.

I use it all the time, wirelessly.

bdarknessb

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
make sure ure phone isnt in "debugging mode". Go to setting > Applications > Deployment and uncheck "USB debugging" if its enabled. Then after u connect ure phone to ure pc. Go to the notifications on ure phone and change "charge only" to "disk drive"

hsfrey

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to all!

Well, I found the problem, but I still can't believe it.

I had been connecting through a 12" long USB extension cable.

When I dumped the cable and connected directly to the connector on the USB card, it worked fine. (Wha ?????)

I can't imagine why an additional 12" of cable should have made the difference!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21