What do you think will be in tuesdays 2.2 OTA update?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
What do you think will be different in the OTA update that wasn't in the manual update already? Nothing? Bug fixes? A multitude of other awesome things?

You tell me

Oh and P.S. This is just because im curious on what everyone has in mind, nothing else.

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely nothing. I think this leaked manual one was the final one put up for final testing. Perhaps a tiny unnoticable bug tweak or two but nothing any of us would see.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'm sure if anything that'll be different it would probably be battery tweaks. I mean, that seems to be something that would be the highest priority for HTC so that they wouldn't have to create a later update if improvements were made.

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Let's say that the manual update (.3) wasn't the final release. The OTA will surely have a different version number. Since the manual update would then be unofficial leak, would our Evos still see the OTA update out there in the stream? I only ask because coming from the world of BlackBerry, if you weren't running an official release your device wouldn't see a new OTA update on Sprint's network (you would have to update manually).

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
This is the best way of putting it, so I don't have to copy and paste... But please remember, there is a SEARCH function on all these forums and 10 out of 10 times, it's so much easier - and faster - to find an answer than waiting on it.

You should be able to just upgrade since the file leaked does not require you to root... The file release was the Sprint/HTC file and does exactly what you have to do when the OTA hits your phone.

I posted this before but you have to think about it.... When the EVO hit the market on June 4 there was an update pushed out to the phone that slightly changed the build number and then on 6.28 they released and then pulled back an update that was rumored to brick some phones. They made a few minor changes and released it again on 6.29.

The build that some people got was 3.25.651.1 and the build I have is 3.26.651.3.... Seems people who jumped on the upgrade earlier in the day got the one build and people like me who downloaded the file around 5 or 6 pm got the "Latest" build....

What "SHOULD" happen once a build is finished is you will do a search for the latest software and if the change is 3.26.651.5 your phone should just upgrade and make the proper adjustments... What ever Sprint releases I am about 99% certain 3.26.651.3 will NOT be the latest and greatest version a month or two from now. They will make adjustments as complaints come in and you will get notifications for minor changes... Right now it's a bigger change going from 2.1 to 2.2......

I think the build that we are using was a prerelease meant to go to probably Sprint Employees and a select group of people to test and give Sprint a few days to make adjustments to it before August 3rd mass release. One of those Employees or Beta testers obviously posted and leaked the build and once it hits a forum like this and many of the others it spread like wildfire and HTC and Sprint pulled the site that was hosting the build because they didn't want us to have it yet....

Source:http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/26306-2-2-froyo-pushed-back-say-aint-so.html#post260351

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The way in which this whole Froyo-Evo release thing has been handled is very interesting. I find it incredibly hard to believe that there are code changes happening between friday and tomorrow - normally you are well into a code-freeze by the time you are 4 days away from releasing.
The fact that they announced it on Friday, but declared the actual release date to be Tuesday is also weird. If it's ready to go, why wait the arbitrary 4 days? To finish testing? If you're still testing, why announce a release date at all - what if you DO find a last minute bug?

All very odd...

SNAFU

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The way in which this whole Froyo-Evo release thing has been handled is very interesting. I find it incredibly hard to believe that there are code changes happening between friday and tomorrow - normally you are well into a code-freeze by the time you are 4 days away from releasing.
The fact that they announced it on Friday, but declared the actual release date to be Tuesday is also weird. If it's ready to go, why wait the arbitrary 4 days? To finish testing? If you're still testing, why announce a release date at all - what if you DO find a last minute bug?

All very odd...

And we know the leaked version was actually released to the beta testers on Friday how?

For all we know the .3 build could be month(s) old.

saywut

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Im still new to Android but I would like to see a better job of managing applications running in the background. Applications continue to start without even opening them and others stay open when you think you close them.

I find myself using ATK all day long. Wondering how applications started and i never even used them.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Question.

Is your phone being slow when these apps are open?

If the answer is no, stop worrying about them. A lot of them are just background services that aren't really hindering the phone usage.

saywut

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question, YES.......and NO. The problem is How do you know that an application is just running a service vs. running as an app?

I get slow downs from ime to time and say, ok let me ATK. Well, 22 apps have just been "murdered" and have no idea what was causing the most lag.

If I am not using an app such as "QIK" or "Amazon Mp3", why is it running? it doesnt need location updates if its not on?

Of course "service-driven" apps such as GTalk, Gmail, ect.....should always run but c'mon at least let me mangae what comes on at power up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12