Day 1 of Froyo 2.2 - Yay or Nay

Yay or Nay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
First day Froyo 2.2 is officially out. You've downloaded it, installed it, sent a text message, played around with it just a bit. What's your initial reaction on this day 1 of release? Things could get better, could get worse...you don't know but with what you've experienced thus far....how do you feel about the few things you have used?

In every app that I've used, I like the improvements. Don't know how long that will last but my initial reaction to it is yay. I'm 6 for 6 on improvements. :)

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Battery life WAY worse than before. Had no problems with battery before. This morning took off charger at 7:00 a.m. and now down to 57%. Checked my settings and they are all the same. Activity thus far has been re-downloading Swype, 10 text messages, 3-5 minutes of browsing. My settings look to be the same, but maybe I'm missing something?!??

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Frame of reference....yesterday at 10:30 p.m. I put the phone on the charger and it had 45% battery left. And yesterday I downloaded the Froyo update, along with a normal day of phone calls, texting, browsing, etc.

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Ran Quadrant Standard and it's got Evo at the top of the list it's giving me better results than the Nexus One 2.2. Just wish they would fix the frames per second. I'm sure my phone would score better.

anon(23236)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery life WAY worse than before. Had no problems with battery before. This morning took off charger at 7:00 a.m. and now down to 57%. Checked my settings and they are all the same. Activity thus far has been re-downloading Swype, 10 text messages, 3-5 minutes of browsing. My settings look to be the same, but maybe I'm missing something?!??

Something must be going on. I took the phone off at 8am and I'm still at 100%.

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Something must be going on. I took the phone off at 8am and I'm still at 100%.

Jeez, down to 52% since my last post and I haven't even used the phone.... I am frantically trying to search the Froyo sticky posts but I can't figure out what has changed. Maybe time for a battery pull? Can't imagine this is the same experience most are having.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Disappointed that the battery didn't see much in the way of improvement (with some users reporting worse battery life), but overall, the improved wifi, 3G, and cell antennas make the upgrade worthwhile for me. Then you throw in the improved multitouch stock keyboard, the faster web page rendering, and full flash support, and it's a no-brainer for me.

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Jeez, down to 52% since my last post and I haven't even used the phone.... I am frantically trying to search the Froyo sticky posts but I can't figure out what has changed. Maybe time for a battery pull? Can't imagine this is the same experience most are having.

maybe you have an app on that is pulling juice? Mine went from 100% to 80% in less than an hour. i noticed i left wifi on while i was driving so idk if that did it or if it was me running the benchmark testing a few times. lol

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site

After update, your GTalk settings will revert back to the way they were when you first got the Evo (auto sign in etc). Go back into GTalk and in the settings, disable auto sign in, then log out. This was one of the initial battery hogs discovered at release. Also, I noticed that the Stocks account had reappeared in my accounts and sync settings, and was set to update every 4 hours or so. Unless you use this, go into the accounts and sync and disable all of the auto-update items that you don't need.

One other thing: when I logged into Sprint Zone, all of the automatic updates were enabled (where I had disabled them before). Uncheck all of that nonsense and I bet your battery life stabilizes once again (I've been off the charger for a couple of hours and just hit 90%).

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
After update, your GTalk settings will revert back to the way they were when you first got the Evo (auto sign in etc). Go back into GTalk and in the settings, disable auto sign in, then log out. This was one of the initial battery hogs discovered at release. Also, I noticed that the Stocks account had reappeared in my accounts and sync settings, and was set to update every 4 hours or so. Unless you use this, go into the accounts and sync and disable all of the auto-update items that you don't need.

One other thing: when I logged into Sprint Zone, all of the automatic updates were enabled (where I had disabled them before). Uncheck all of that nonsense and I bet your battery life stabilizes once again (I've been off the charger for a couple of hours and just hit 90%).

Thanks for the mention on GTalk - I had not updated that setting since update. My other sync settings are the same as before update. Where are the automatic updates in Sprint Zone you are referring to? Not sure exactly how to get to those (which makes me wonder if I ever had them changed pre-update?). Thanks.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My battery is amazing... Wait im on CM6 Sorry guys... :p

I cant get down with Sense Anymore its slow and annoys the hell outta me...

I was on it and it didnt feel like an update at all... nothing really new same slow speeds considering i didnt have a valid Kernel to flash...

My 2.1 actually runs smoother then 2.2...

I'll still with CM6 its alot faster then anything sense... my 2 cents... :cool:

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the mention on GTalk - I had not updated that setting since update. My other sync settings are the same as before update. Where are the automatic updates in Sprint Zone you are referring to? Not sure exactly how to get to those (which makes me wonder if I ever had them changed pre-update?). Thanks.

Open the Sprint Zone app, then go to menu > settings. You will see a laundry list of items that are set to automatically update. Uncheck them all, then for good measure, go to "update interval" and set it to "on launch only" or whatever it says. This will make a big difference.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I say no. My camera and camcorder stopped working. My internet browser lags after loading a page for a few seconds, and first few swipes are very unresponsive after loading a page. My battery was down 50% after just 2 hours of VERY little use.

I had to call Sprint and they had to walk me through a hard reset because they got rid of the Privacy option in the Settings Menu.

I'd wait on it.

bzxzlg

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well ... I got the update sortly after 2000 HRS last night ... took about 15 minutes ... Turned on 4G this morning around 0730 because I was driving around ATL and wanted to know how/where connectivity was ... Got home and forgot about that being on ... Have had various e-mails (50), txts (15) and phone calls (4 ~ 20-30 minutes each) and am now only down to 80% which I think is fare given my "usage" in 4-1/4 hours ... And just checked - yup, gmail and stocks were turned on again as well. It'll be intersting to see how this all runs out over the next few days ...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante