327. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

294 89.91%
  • Nay

33 10.09%
08-04-2010 03:57 PM
72 123
tools
    First day Froyo 2.2 is officially out. You've downloaded it, installed it, sent a text message, played around with it just a bit. What's your initial reaction on this day 1 of release? Things could get better, could get worse...you don't know but with what you've experienced thus far....how do you feel about the few things you have used?

In every app that I've used, I like the improvements. Don't know how long that will last but my initial reaction to it is yay. I'm 6 for 6 on improvements.
    08-03-2010 08:35 AM
    Battery life WAY worse than before. Had no problems with battery before. This morning took off charger at 7:00 a.m. and now down to 57%. Checked my settings and they are all the same. Activity thus far has been re-downloading Swype, 10 text messages, 3-5 minutes of browsing. My settings look to be the same, but maybe I'm missing something?!??
    08-03-2010 08:44 AM
    Frame of reference....yesterday at 10:30 p.m. I put the phone on the charger and it had 45% battery left. And yesterday I downloaded the Froyo update, along with a normal day of phone calls, texting, browsing, etc.
    08-03-2010 08:45 AM
    Ran Quadrant Standard and it's got Evo at the top of the list it's giving me better results than the Nexus One 2.2. Just wish they would fix the frames per second. I'm sure my phone would score better.
    08-03-2010 08:47 AM
    Battery life WAY worse than before. Had no problems with battery before. This morning took off charger at 7:00 a.m. and now down to 57%. Checked my settings and they are all the same. Activity thus far has been re-downloading Swype, 10 text messages, 3-5 minutes of browsing. My settings look to be the same, but maybe I'm missing something?!??
    Something must be going on. I took the phone off at 8am and I'm still at 100%.
    08-03-2010 08:55 AM
    Something must be going on. I took the phone off at 8am and I'm still at 100%.
    Jeez, down to 52% since my last post and I haven't even used the phone.... I am frantically trying to search the Froyo sticky posts but I can't figure out what has changed. Maybe time for a battery pull? Can't imagine this is the same experience most are having.
    08-03-2010 09:06 AM
    I'll vote when I get this Unrevoked mess figured out and am actually able to use Froyo.
    08-03-2010 09:09 AM
    Disappointed that the battery didn't see much in the way of improvement (with some users reporting worse battery life), but overall, the improved wifi, 3G, and cell antennas make the upgrade worthwhile for me. Then you throw in the improved multitouch stock keyboard, the faster web page rendering, and full flash support, and it's a no-brainer for me.
    08-03-2010 09:14 AM
    Jeez, down to 52% since my last post and I haven't even used the phone.... I am frantically trying to search the Froyo sticky posts but I can't figure out what has changed. Maybe time for a battery pull? Can't imagine this is the same experience most are having.
    maybe you have an app on that is pulling juice? Mine went from 100% to 80% in less than an hour. i noticed i left wifi on while i was driving so idk if that did it or if it was me running the benchmark testing a few times. lol
    I'll vote when I get this Unrevoked mess figured out and am actually able to use Froyo.
    Follow the unroot sticky in the sub-forums. I used it and it worked like a charm.
    My battery seems to be pretty normal.
    08-03-2010 09:15 AM
    After update, your GTalk settings will revert back to the way they were when you first got the Evo (auto sign in etc). Go back into GTalk and in the settings, disable auto sign in, then log out. This was one of the initial battery hogs discovered at release. Also, I noticed that the Stocks account had reappeared in my accounts and sync settings, and was set to update every 4 hours or so. Unless you use this, go into the accounts and sync and disable all of the auto-update items that you don't need.

One other thing: when I logged into Sprint Zone, all of the automatic updates were enabled (where I had disabled them before). Uncheck all of that nonsense and I bet your battery life stabilizes once again (I've been off the charger for a couple of hours and just hit 90%).
    08-03-2010 09:27 AM
    After update, your GTalk settings will revert back to the way they were when you first got the Evo (auto sign in etc). Go back into GTalk and in the settings, disable auto sign in, then log out. This was one of the initial battery hogs discovered at release. Also, I noticed that the Stocks account had reappeared in my accounts and sync settings, and was set to update every 4 hours or so. Unless you use this, go into the accounts and sync and disable all of the auto-update items that you don't need.

One other thing: when I logged into Sprint Zone, all of the automatic updates were enabled (where I had disabled them before). Uncheck all of that nonsense and I bet your battery life stabilizes once again (I've been off the charger for a couple of hours and just hit 90%).
    Thanks for the mention on GTalk - I had not updated that setting since update. My other sync settings are the same as before update. Where are the automatic updates in Sprint Zone you are referring to? Not sure exactly how to get to those (which makes me wonder if I ever had them changed pre-update?). Thanks.
    08-03-2010 09:37 AM
    Just disabled everything again, so let's see if the battery gets any better. Good tip!
    08-03-2010 09:38 AM
    My battery is amazing... Wait im on CM6 Sorry guys... :P

I cant get down with Sense Anymore its slow and annoys the hell outta me...

I was on it and it didnt feel like an update at all... nothing really new same slow speeds considering i didnt have a valid Kernel to flash...

My 2.1 actually runs smoother then 2.2...

I'll still with CM6 its alot faster then anything sense... my 2 cents...
    08-03-2010 09:38 AM
    Thanks for the mention on GTalk - I had not updated that setting since update. My other sync settings are the same as before update. Where are the automatic updates in Sprint Zone you are referring to? Not sure exactly how to get to those (which makes me wonder if I ever had them changed pre-update?). Thanks.
    Open the Sprint Zone app, then go to menu > settings. You will see a laundry list of items that are set to automatically update. Uncheck them all, then for good measure, go to "update interval" and set it to "on launch only" or whatever it says. This will make a big difference.
    08-03-2010 09:42 AM
    I can't install 2.2 please help. After pushing install now it goes to the Android on skateboard screen then I have to restart Judy to get my phone back.
    08-03-2010 09:42 AM
    I say no. My camera and camcorder stopped working. My internet browser lags after loading a page for a few seconds, and first few swipes are very unresponsive after loading a page. My battery was down 50% after just 2 hours of VERY little use.

I had to call Sprint and they had to walk me through a hard reset because they got rid of the Privacy option in the Settings Menu.

I'd wait on it.
    08-03-2010 09:50 AM
    Flash working pretty good, thats YAY for me. Going to be hard to work now I have streaming video anywhere I go :O
    08-03-2010 09:51 AM
    Well ... I got the update sortly after 2000 HRS last night ... took about 15 minutes ... Turned on 4G this morning around 0730 because I was driving around ATL and wanted to know how/where connectivity was ... Got home and forgot about that being on ... Have had various e-mails (50), txts (15) and phone calls (4 ~ 20-30 minutes each) and am now only down to 80% which I think is fare given my "usage" in 4-1/4 hours ... And just checked - yup, gmail and stocks were turned on again as well. It'll be intersting to see how this all runs out over the next few days ...
    08-03-2010 09:57 AM
    After update, your GTalk settings will revert back to the way they were when you first got the Evo (auto sign in etc). Go back into GTalk and in the settings, disable auto sign in, then log out. This was one of the initial battery hogs discovered at release.
    Auto sign in only happens when you turn on the app. It's not the same as Fring's Auto Startup which starts up the app when you turn on your phone. It shouldn't affect battery unless you open Talk without knowing.
    I say no. My camera and camcorder stopped working. My internet browser lags after loading a page for a few seconds, and first few swipes are very unresponsive after loading a page. My battery was down 50% after just 2 hours of VERY little use.

I had to call Sprint and they had to walk me through a hard reset because they got rid of the Privacy option in the Settings Menu.

I'd wait on it.
    I didn't have any of those problems except for the camera. All of a sudden it worked after a bunch of tries and having it close. I heard LED light was a conflicting app. I deleted it anyway since there's the Flashlight app now.
    08-03-2010 09:58 AM
    Do a battery pull for atleast a minute. I was bleeding battery life last week (I have gtalk off, sprint zone off, ect). So I did a battery pull for atleast a minute and all this weekend I was getting really good battery life. For Example, I took my phone off the charger yesterday at 9 am. Didn't plug it in again until 10 am today and I was at 18%. Yesterday I did my basic facebook and twitter checking, good amount of texting, couple of emails. Then I applied the froyo update, then heavily used my phone for 2 hours after I applied the update. Then went to bed.
    08-03-2010 09:58 AM
    resetting up the sync settings helped a bit, but not totally fixed. there is still something locking something open on the phone
    Someone mentioned about Flickr auto updating too at some point? I cant even find flickr as an app to change, so dont know how valid that is.

I am on .3 though.
    Other then that the phone works marvelous!
    I had the camera issue, but after a reboot it came back up.
    bassmanxu likes this.
    08-03-2010 10:04 AM
    Do a battery pull for atleast a minute. I was bleeding battery life last week (I have gtalk off, sprint zone off, ect). So I did a battery pull for atleast a minute and all this weekend I was getting really good battery life. For Example, I took my phone off the charger yesterday at 9 am. Didn't plug it in again until 10 am today and I was at 18%. Yesterday I did my basic facebook and twitter checking, good amount of texting, couple of emails. Then I applied the froyo update, then heavily used my phone for 2 hours after I applied the update. Then went to bed.
    Thanks I will give that a try and see what works. Battery has still been bleeding since logging out Gtalk and updating Sprint settings.
    08-03-2010 10:07 AM
    I love froyo thus far, phone seems even snappier, didnt help wifi as much as I had hoped, my battery life is about the same, which was good before the update
    08-03-2010 10:10 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD