2.2 Froyo Update - Report & Find Solutions to Issues Here (post #1 & 2 updated 8/8)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Found a specific issue in the OFFICIAL Froyo update? Listed below is an extensive list of problems being reported. Feel free to report others in this thread. If it's determined to be a common problem, I will update this post accordingly. If solutions are found, I will also provide information here.

If you are having an issue, try a hard reset using this procedurehttp://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=264434.​

Yes, you will need to reinstall apps and settings, but this is trivial compared to spending a countless amount of time on troubleshooting issues that you're having that others are not.

Also, please do not use task killers. 9 times out of 10 these programs cause issues if not used properly. By not using one, you will be able to isolate root causes easier.​

A few success stories of hard resets fixing performance & battery life issues:

Reported by: pined-apple.
Reported by: creightoncarr.
Reported by: TeePoppa.
Reported by: splmonster.
Reported by: sed51329.
Reported by: paulms516.

How time consuming is to reconfigure everything after a hard reset? Read here.

Why do we strongly urge not using task killers? First of all there are task killers are not compatible with Froyo. Secondly, please read this and also this informative article if you want to better understand Android task management.

Reported & confirmed issue list:

1. When editing an existing calendar event on Froyo, the Description field is deleted and overwritten by the Where field. Solution: TDB
  2. I installed the .3 update and am unable to see .6 when I click the Check Updates button. Reported solution: HTC has said they are working on a fix for early adopters. The good news is you aren't missing much, sans a few bluetooth changes (disagree? let me know).
  3. Poor browser performance. Reported solution: Browser > Menu > More > Settings > Enable Plugins > On Demand.
  4. Second Gmail account not synching. Potential Solutions: Try this, this, or this. Update: Some of the aforementioned solutions, have been reported to stop working after a period of time.
  5. Camera issues. Reported solution: Uninstall the LED light widget.
  6. Apps missing in market. Reported solution: Uninstall any app from Application Settings and then reinstall it from the marketplace. This should bring back your apps list.
  7. Pandora/Slacker problems. Reported solution here.
  8. Third party system panel app not working correctly. Per the developer of this app, the app does not need to be updated. The developer said that Froyo just does not do inactive cached apps.
  9. Bluetooth voice dialer will only dial primary number. Solution: TBD
  10. I'm using Unrevoked 3 and cannot update. Reported solution: Unroot and return to stock ROM.
  11. Swype no longer works. Reported solution: Uninstall and reinstall the beta.
  12. Music no longer works with multi tasking. Solution: TBD
  13. Broswer Crashing on Flash Sites. Solution: Read 1st post of linked thread.
  14. Droid X & HTC IME Keyboard no longer works. Solution: TBD
  15. Sirius & XP apps not working. Solution: TBD
  16. HTC Streaming Media will no longer play RTSP feeds. Solution: Here.
  17. Poor battery life. Solution: Varies... Need to read the thread. However, here are a few suggestions: Disable Always on Mobile Data, disable Google talk from automatically starting, keep WiFi turned on, disable roaming, and turn off CDMA roaming. (Thanks, Chris!). Battery monitoring widgets, and Google latitude have also been reported as being huge battery consumers.
  18. Significant battery drain after recent Facebook update. Solution: Facebook had released another update that fixes battery life issue. Go to market for update.
  19. android.process.media stopping unexpectedly error. Solution in link.
  20. Button on wired headset no longer hangs up -- it only mutes. Solution: TBD
  21. Last.fm no longer works. Solution: None.
  22. iheart radio app no longer works over 3G/4G. Reported solution: enable WiFi - whether you're using it or not.
  23. .wav support was native prior to Froyo, but no longer works with stock music player. Solution: download a media player that supports .wav file.
  24. USB car chargers unmount storage card - prohibiting access to media/music. Workaround: use a dedicated (non USB) car charger.
  25. Processes repeatedly crashing with the following messsage "<process name> stopped unexpectedly, please try again." Processes include android.process.acore, android.process.media, process com.htc.bg, process com.android.htccontacts, process com.android.browser.
  26. Websites identify EVO as Droid X (example: Facebook mobile).
  27. Google Translater does not translate after upgrading to 2.2. Possible solution here.
  28. Front-facing camera bug: When you uncheck mirror mode, it shows the image upside-down. Also, as soon as you take a picture, the screen goes a lot darker on the front-facing cam and the pictures all show up that way - WAY darker than they should be.

One more time:

Please do not use task killers (check task killer sticky for more info). 9 times out of 10 these programs cause issues if not used properly. By not using one, you will be able to isolate root causes easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The following issues have been reported by less than 2 members. They will be moved to the first post if they are verified by additional members:

1. .m4v worked in 2.1 - but do not play in 2.2
  2. Flash audio seems to get out of sync. Post #11.
  3. The weather graphic on the htc clock widget is a little glitchy when starting up. It actually disappears for a couple seconds. Post #11.
  4. The progress indicators on the htc stock news app don't animate anymore? Post #11.
  5. After unlocking the phone from idle, the white htc load page flashes for a second. Post #11.
  6. The dock launcher is the same as Android 2.1. In the demo video the launcher is similar to AWD one.
  7. The gallery app has not changed a bit. The gallery app demoed in various Froyo videos looks very different.
  8. The "Car Home" app or widget is not there either.
  9. Trouble with YouTube widget.

Last edited:
Reactions: spun2u
Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't install 2.2 when I click install now, my phone shuts off and comes back on the botloder screen and then I have to restart and it a circle going round and round. How do I fix this please help!

ReproOne

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I was previously able to play my voicemail that Exchange adds as a WAV file. With this update, it now tells me it is unable to play this type of audio file.

studfuz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I read that sprint was pushing the official update, but I can not get my evo to find the update in the software settings area. Is there something special i need to do to get my phone to update?

bigvic13

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
"System Panel" app shows all apps as in background, nothing seems to be sleeping. Perhaps it needs to be updated for froyo?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/android-applications/26638-system-panel-app-post-froyo-evo.html

I saw the same thing happening after the Froyo OTA update, but I think the OS needs to relearn what apps to Cache and which ones to just run in the background.
My only gripe so far is that it seems there is increased battery drain, but I can't say for certain yet. Plus, I think there is another thread about that

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't install 2.2 when I click install now, my phone shuts off and comes back on the botloder screen and then I have to restart and it a circle going round and round. How do I fix this please help!

are you rooted? Running a custom ROM? Did you have the unofficial update installed? What happens once you are in bootloader?

I was previously able to play my voicemail that Exchange adds as a WAV file. With this update, it now tells me it is unable to play this type of audio file.

Was it natively doing this before? I thought it required a 3rd party app.

I read that sprint was pushing the official update, but I can not get my evo to find the update in the software settings area. Is there something special i need to do to get my phone to update?

If you did not root and you're not running a custom ROM, you probably just haven't been selected as part of the controlled rollout. Keep checking.
S

djmoonsovermyhammy

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Flash audio seems to get out of sync. Besides flash sucking the fun out of browsing... I've noticed little things here and there.

The weather graphic on the htc clock widget is a little glitch y when starting up. It actually disappears for a couple seconds. Also, wasn't there a link to accu weather at the bottom of the page when you opened up the weather app? Could just be my imagination.

The progress indicators on the htc stock news app don't animate anymore.

After unlocking the phone from idle, the white htc load page flashes for a second.

Still playing around. I'll post anything else.

MrShmuck

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I update the OTA version from Sprint last night.
In comparison to the video walk-through of Android 2.2 on your website, here are 3 quite important things I am missing:
1. The dock launcher is the same to Android 2.1. In the demo video the launcher is similar to AWD one.
2. The gallery app has not changed a bit. The gallery app demoed in various Froyo videos looks very different.
3. The "Car Home" app or widget is not there either.
Is anyone else missing features that were supposed to be in this update?

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted I tried unevoked3 but it didn't work. No custom roms. I downloaded the official update. And the bootloader screen just sits there waiting for me. Last night a also tried a factory restart and it did the same thing went to the bootloader screen. When I restated nothing was factory. Idk what to do.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted. No custom roms. The bootloader screen just waits for me to do something. I tried last night to do a factory restart and it did the same thing went to the skateboarding android, after I restarted my phone nothing changed. Idk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm you should see a triangle, and you will probably see it for quite a whilje, before it completes the flash.

I suspect many of the issues being reported could be resolved with a hard reset.

gump666

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
when i open advanced task killer, it shows that music is running. but when i tell it close it, it will not. and i have noticed that every time i open it now i have multiple apps running. it wast like this before.

anon(21601)

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't consider this a major issue but, I am annoyed that the buttons light up before the screen does when waking the phone up. It used to be simultaneous or the screen would light up first. Has anyone else experienced or noticed this?

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is dismal compared to pre-update. All my sync settings are the same, I have checked multiple times. This is being discussed the Yay or Nay poll post also.

Edit: Took phone off charger at 7:00 am EST, currently at 33% battery life with MINIMAL usage. Yesterday I took off charge at 7:00 am and kept if off until 10:30 p.m., battery was at 42%. Yesterday activity was several phone calls, 25 or so texts, 15-20 minutes web browsing (at least), and downloaded Froyo update over 3G and installed. Played around with phone about an hour last night before charging to look for new Froyo features....

Edit #2: I have checked and rechecked my sync settings, they are the same or more restrictive than pre-update. Turned off the phone and did a battery pull as well, did not seem to help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz