2.2 Froyo Update - Report & Find Solutions to Issues Here (post #1 & 2 updated 8/8)

pined-apple

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Cannot turn off background data

After upgrading to 2.2, I've discovered that its not possible to disable "Background data". This was useful in that it prevented all the apps from trying to sync, send and receive data in the background.

From my tests, turning this off / on / off did not help. Task manager shows that there are a whole host of apps that just keep running in the background. Even if you kill them, they keep restarting on the back side.

Also, Android Market will not run if "Background data" in "accounts & sync" is not enabled.

The downside to this is that, this "feature" is not going to improve battery life.

Seems that the upgrade to 2.2 wasn't worth it considering it really only helped to reduce some of the jerky screen refreshing when scrolling up/down.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry.. Do this instead. Apparently it's different on the EVO than the X:

1. Turn the power off.
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Press and release the Power button
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

hmm I'm not being presented menu screen its displaying the everyday lock screen

kevster1321

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
when i use the app killer it says it kills my apps but when i go into manage applications there still running can any confirm the same thing. i have to force close youtube,internet,etc.

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
After upgrading to 2.2, I've discovered that its not possible to disable "Background data". This was useful in that it prevented all the apps from trying to sync, send and receive data in the background.

From my tests, turning this off / on / off did not help. Task manager shows that there are a whole host of apps that just keep running in the background. Even if you kill them, they keep restarting on the back side.

Also, Android Market will not run if "Background data" in "accounts & sync" is not enabled.

The downside to this is that, this "feature" is not going to improve battery life.

Seems that the upgrade to 2.2 wasn't worth it considering it really only helped to reduce some of the jerky screen refreshing when scrolling up/down.
I can disable mine...

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Second Gmail account not synching. Potential (still verifying) solution (thanks Gekko):

1. Delete & re-add secondary Gmail account.
2. Clear cache of Gmail App in settings > applications.
3. Add Contacts and Calendar sync along with Gmail for secondary Gmail account even if you are just using Gmail account.
4. For both Gmail Accounts - in settings - uncheck "Notify once".
5. Power down and power back up.

Didn't work for me. When I deleted and reentered, there was no cache to clear because I had already tried that prior.

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
First post updated, with solutions to all reported problems (except the bluetooth dialer issue).

Thanks for maintaining the list. However the solution for this problem, "Third party system panel app not working correctly" isn't really a solution. It's discussing Froyo freeing up memory. Not the "System Panel" app issue/question.

If one more person reports a problem that is using a task killer.... :mad:

hehe .. Not to get people off topic but I seriously urge Task killer users to read this. I'm not saying there's never a valid reason to kill a task but that 99% of the time it's not necessary.

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

On another side note my battery life seems to be flatting out fortunately. I figured it was due to some type of sync setting or app. Still not 100% what solved it but still watching it.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
@Cory Streater how do i fix the app killer problem?

Uninstall it and don't use it. For educational reason, please read this also.

I'm not trying to be a meanie on the task killer subject, it's just that I've been around here long enough to know that whenever someone says they are using one & is reporting issues at the same time, it always ends up being because of the task killer. As Jordan stated, there are some legitimate uses of task killers, but if you do use one, I would strongly urge people to read the link above first.

It's a shame that these updates look like they are full of bugs, only to find out it's because people have their task killers in there killing stuff right and left that shouldn't be killed.

Itoao

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am on the "cannot see my apps in downloads on the android market." group. I also cannot seem to add the new widgets. The ringtone and profile ones. They are not on the list. However if I go to get more widgets. It will show them on the list and show them as installed.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Wifi problem

After the update, I can no longer connect to my wifi access point. The connection hangs on either "Authenticating", or "Obtaining IP address". Perhaps related to the issue discussed on xda: [Q] WiFi problems after Froyo update - xda-developers. I've had to fall back to 3G data.

I'm at work right now, and I don't know what brand the access points are here.

----
Edit: I asked the IT guys, and the gear here is Cisco.
Edit 2: Seemed to be the network. Works today.

Last edited:

kevster1321

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
so i read the article on the task killer. but the two things i want it to reset like the internet to go back to the home page does not work. i have to force close it to go back to the home page and i dont want to do this every time. before the update it worked now it doesn't. is there a fix or am i **** out of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36