evo4g boots to HBOOT menu- cannot get it to recover!!

tonyps

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Particulars:
Phone now boots to the following:
Supersonic EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-6.17.0001
MICROP-041F
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.0808
Mar 8 2011, 17:02:15
If I select Bootloader and then recovery, it takes me to a Recovery Menu that says the following:
ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.2
I have selected backup/recovery, recovery but there is nothing to recover?
My son was trying to help fix a rebooting issue(the phone would restart during a call) and I fear (with the best intentions) he may have bricked the phone, as he says...
Is there any hope to get the phone working again? Can it just be "wiped" and start the root process over again? Hopefully!!?
I should have mentioned that the contents of teh sd card are gone, as well!??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Tony.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're getting into CWM then your phone isn't bricked. And to answer your question (at least I think it's a question.) the contents of your SD card SHOULD be safe. It's not unheard of for a SD card to get wiped once in a while, but under most circumstances, you know when you're wiping your SD card. If you have anything you'd like to keep, NOW is the time to put the SD card into a computer and backup all of your pictures, music, etc. if they're still there.

IMHO, If you're already in this boat, you might as well learn to sail with it. Android isn't going anywhere anytime soon and the more you know, the better. I would recommend rooting it, switching to a better recovery, and flashing a new, better rom. It's almost like getting a new phone. But there are faster ways to get it done. This simplest would be flashing the phone with an official RUU.

It really comes down to personal preference. Safe and quick, or long and learn. Which would you like me to walk you through?

(P.S. In case you haven't notices, I normally push for the rooting/flashing/custom rom method)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm opposite of Lincoln, to an extent. I prefer it dealer's choice.

No, not trying to start anything, as you can see, I'm modded because life's better modded, amiright?

If you're looking for a stock phone again, you'll have to use the newest RUU and relock the bootloader. (Requires a command.)

Or...

Actually flash a stock ROM or go all out and install a custom ROM.

There are options, and either of us are here to help.

Edit: Also, I recommend you ditch CWM and go to a better RA-based recovery or maybe even TWRP if you're looking for a GUI interface. (I'm not sure if they have it for the EVO 4G, someone would have to check that.)

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

tonyps

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Morning and thank you for the response! I am certainly up for learning something new, as long as it is a logical progression and understandable....
The boot-loader currently sits at the following (not sure how it got to this point, think I read some place that this version should not be on this phone??):
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-6.17.0001
Touch Panel-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.0808
I did attempt to run the "revoke" app that numerous post mention, but got no where with it...from my very limited knowledge of all this (rooting), you have to get the SHIP S-ON to read S-OFF for this to be effective/work correctly!!??
Thanks again,
Tony.

tonyps

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Morning and thanks Andrew!! I am really just trying to get it back alive again. The phone has been rooted for some time now and I had not updated anything when all of this happened. I was attmepting (with my son's assist..??)to fix an issue where it was continuously rebooting during phone calls and now I am at a stand still..As I mentioned in a reply this morning, I am not very knowledgeable with all of this but certainly willing to learn to correct this and have some fun in the future...many of the folks I interact with daily are very curious and wanting to learn more about the whole rooting thing and possibly root their phones, so I get questions frequently, show folks how the phone functions better being rooted, without all the carriers Krap!!
HBOOT-6.17.0001
RADIO-2.15.00.0808
Thanks again for your assistance!
Tony.

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Let's start off by getting you back up and running. To flash the RUU go to shipped-roms.com and click on the Android picture. Scroll down until you see the link for your device (which is, btw, Supersonic) then click on it. Click on the link named RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.67.651.3_Radio_2.15.00.12.19_NV_2.33_release_234563_signed.zip

It will start downloading the zip file. Once it's done downloading rename it to PC36IMG If your Windows installation is set to show file extensions, rename it instead to PC36IMG.zip (Note: 'PC36IMG' is case sensitive, I believe the '.zip' is not.) Move the zip file into the root of your SD card (In this context, root means 'not in any folder') Now you're ready to update by RUU via .zip.

1) Unplug the phone, pull the battery, wait 5 seconds, then replace.
2) Hold down the Vol- button.
3) While holding down the Vol- button, press the Power button. Once the white HBOOT Screen comes up, you may release both.
4) HBOOT should scan your SD card for PC36IMG.zip and begin loading it. My HBOOT (6.16.1002) had a progress bar on the right, YMMV.

Note: If your phone does NOT load the PC36IMG.zip, then you most likely named it wrong (PC36IMG.zip.zip or similar) Double check the name and try again. (Google "Show file extensions in windows" if you need more help. If you get file extensions shown and are still having problems, let me know)

5) Once it's finished, It should show a list like:
Code:
[INDENT]Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1] BOOTLOADER
[2] RADIO_V2
[3] RADIO_CUST
[4] BOOT
[5] RECOVERY
[6] SYSTEM
[7] USERDATA
[8] SPLASH1
[9] WIMAX[/INDENT]
Do you want to start update?
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

NOTE: This WILL wipe everything on the device. It shouldn't touch the SD, but don't blame me if you lose anything.

Press Vol+ to wipe the device.

My HBOOT is Revolutionary modded, so while updating it "Bypassed" updating the bootloader, It shouldn't be a problem for you either way. When it's done with the flashing, It will ask if you want to reboot your device. Press Vol+ to reboot into the stock Sprint ROM.

Let me know how it turns out and if you want to go on and install a custom recovery and ROM.

Mdantzler

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Just installed on my Sprint HTC Evo 4g. Love the clean graphics, but I no longer have a home screen at all, and the home and menu buttons no longer work. Also, does not allow OTA updates.

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Just installed on my Sprint HTC Evo 4g. Love the clean graphics, but I no longer have a home screen at all, and the home and menu buttons no longer work. Also, does not allow OTA updates.

What exactly did you install on your EVO 4G? You should never attempt to apply a Sprint (OTA) update to a rooted phone. Sprint updates are only for phones with locked bootloaders and recovery!

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Morning and thanks Andrew!! I am really just trying to get it back alive again. The phone has been rooted for some time now and I had not updated anything when all of this happened. I was attmepting (with my son's assist..??)to fix an issue where it was continuously rebooting during phone calls and now I am at a stand still..As I mentioned in a reply this morning, I am not very knowledgeable with all of this but certainly willing to learn to correct this and have some fun in the future...many of the folks I interact with daily are very curious and wanting to learn more about the whole rooting thing and possibly root their phones, so I get questions frequently, show folks how the phone functions better being rooted, without all the carriers Krap!!
HBOOT-6.17.0001
RADIO-2.15.00.0808
Thanks again for your assistance!
Tony.

You Have a recovery installed already, Flash a rooted stock rom ...All done that easy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1