Wow, thanks Best Buy

redriverd

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered my EVO, but my wife's upgrade was not due until August 1 (thankfully have an understanding wife that let me have a new phone 2 months before her)
Called the local Best Buy Sunday (wife wanted a white one), was told they were out. Just for the heck of it, went online to try to order. It showed the local store did have one, so went through the whole online order process, only to receive an email about 30 minutes later saying sorry, we goofed, the local store does not have any. At that time you were able to search other stores for them (does not appear it will even let you do that now on Best Buy's website, which I guess means they are really out company wide?) so I searched and the closest one it showed was over 3 hours away. I called Best Buy's national number, was not rude, but let them know that I could not understand how they could not tell if not instantly, at least while I was filling out the online order, that there were actually no phones available at the local store when the website was saying there were phones there. They apologized but of course said they didn't know when any of the phones would be available. Then, last night, I get a call from the local store. They explained to me that they did actually have a phone the day before, but it was on hold for someone, so they could not sell it to me but it would still show up as in stock for someone ordering online. After telling me this, and explaining that if my credit card had not been charged yet to call Best Buy to have the order cancelled, I could tell from the way he was talking that he had a phone. I asked him if he had my phone now, and he said yes. Told him I was on my way and got the white EVO last night. I have no idea if this is the one that was on hold and that customer did not show, or if my call to the national number prompted the store to get me one, but bottom line is I got a white EVO when I thought it would take who knows how long to get one.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered my EVO, but my wife's upgrade was not due until August 1 (thankfully have an understanding wife that let me have a new phone 2 months before her)
Called the local Best Buy Sunday (wife wanted a white one), was told they were out. Just for the heck of it, went online to try to order. It showed the local store did have one, so went through the whole online order process, only to receive an email about 30 minutes later saying sorry, we goofed, the local store does not have any. At that time you were able to search other stores for them (does not appear it will even let you do that now on Best Buy's website, which I guess means they are really out company wide?) so I searched and the closest one it showed was over 3 hours away. I called Best Buy's national number, was not rude, but let them know that I could not understand how they could not tell if not instantly, at least while I was filling out the online order, that there were actually no phones available at the local store when the website was saying there were phones there. They apologized but of course said they didn't know when any of the phones would be available. Then, last night, I get a call from the local store. They explained to me that they did actually have a phone the day before, but it was on hold for someone, so they could not sell it to me but it would still show up as in stock for someone ordering online. After telling me this, and explaining that if my credit card had not been charged yet to call Best Buy to have the order cancelled, I could tell from the way he was talking that he had a phone. I asked him if he had my phone now, and he said yes. Told him I was on my way and got the white EVO last night. I have no idea if this is the one that was on hold and that customer did not show, or if my call to the national number prompted the store to get me one, but bottom line is I got a white EVO when I thought it would take who knows how long to get one.

TLDR; he got a white EVO... Congrats!