Go back to stock, unroot... (Running FroYo Odexed, Custom Kernel)

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
So if I follow the steps to unroot, use HTC Sync, load 1.47...then run updates to get up to FroYo. Am I set from there? Do I need to replace custom kernel or will that happen with the RUU?

Thanks!

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Or you can just flash one of many Froyo roms that have been released lately... Less of a hassle.
It will keep your root and you can get all of the rooted and rom goodies.

I'm only suggesting this because unrooting makes you lose all your data... so might as well just upgrade to a Froyo Rom.

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, that doesn't really answer my question considering I'm already running root. My question was getting back to stock.

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I feel like you did not search the question before you started a new thread on it?

I feel like you did not read my question. I did research. What I can't find is info on the custom kernel. If you can point me to a thread that answers that question specifically, I'll de-register from the site and never bother you again. I see "unrooting" returns phone to stock but to me "root" by Android definition means gaining file write permissions, unrooting removes those permissions. But that doesn't mean I've replaced a Kernel file on my phone.

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I feel like you did not read my question. I did research. What I can't find is info on the custom kernel. If you can point me to a thread that answers that question specifically, I'll de-register from the site and never bother you again. I see "unrooting" returns phone to stock but to me "root" by Android definition means gaining file write permissions, unrooting removes those permissions. But that doesn't mean I've replaced a Kernel file on my phone.

Have you read the rooting FAQ's by chance? Regardless, there a plenty of threads on this form and XDA, that tell you that if you flash a new rom, you have to re flash your favorite custom kernel. Because each one comes with its own.

Running the RUU is no different.

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your insight.

If everyone followed your FAQ advice there wouldn't be 100 posts a day about "My battery life isn't good". Thought this question was specific enough to warrant a direct answer.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Your question is legit... but I unrooted once and it was a pretty bad mistake.
But yeah, RUU + regular updating should bring you back to stock with no custom kernel.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I've unrooted and everything went by pretty smoothly. Your phone will return to stock, kernal and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34