Okay I may have found the battery drain problem

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Facebook 1.3.0 causing serious battery drain in 2.2

Anybody else download the new Facebook app? Well if you have, and even have turned both sync and notifications off. It doesn't matter, the service is still running and keeps going up in size. Here is a post over at XDA proving the claim, scroll down and see the picture.

New Facebook app killing the battery? - xda-developers

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else download the new Facebook app? Well if you have, and even have turned both sync and notifications off. It doesn't matter, the service is still running and keeps going up in size. Here is a post over at XDA proving the claim, scroll down and see the picture.

New Facebook app killing the battery? - xda-developers

interesting... I just updated to the new Facebook App the other day and my top partial wake usage is Facebook and it's about 30 - 40% blue on the same graph page.. I used ATK and killed it and it opens back up on it's own after maybe 5 - 10 minutes and starts eating up partial awake life again.... weird.. might have to uninstall....

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
interesting... I just updated to the new Facebook App the other day and my top partial wake usage is Facebook and it's about 30 - 40% blue on the same graph page.. I used ATK and killed it and it opens back up on it's own after maybe 5 - 10 minutes and starts eating up partial awake life again.... weird.. might have to uninstall....

Going into settings, running services and stop the service. Check periodically to see if it comes back.

viddywell

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm the same findings. Total up time of 10 hours, total partial wake lock of just under 10 hours. Uninstalling and going back to the previous version here.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm the same findings. Total up time of 10 hours, total partial wake lock of just under 10 hours. Uninstalling and going back to the previous version here.

I uninstalled the updates and went back to previous version. Also you need to remove the account for Facebook out of Accounts/Sync which it adds from this update. Then restarted the phone, and usage is down. Looks like we may of found a contributing factor to poor battery life in Froyo.

bucko21

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm this also.. Just uninstalled the updates and it's back to normal.. Another one is a joke app called Bic Lighter, I keep it on the phone so when the Iphone crew brags about the Zippo Lighter App on the Iphone I pull this one.. I reinstalled it today and my battery went from 80% down to 30% in 20 minutes. I uninstalled and recharged to full, at 12 noon took it off charger at 1 when I had green light, it just went completely dead at 9:15 that's just over 8 hours, I was getting at minimum 15 to 17 hours with light to moderate use.. Now that Facebook is uninstalled I will have to wait and see what happens tommorrow...

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nice find. I had saw that yesterday in spare parts but thought a reboot had fixed it but just checked and it was still not allowing the phone to sleep...downgraded.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The actual Facebook... Rem it's still there, it comes back and runs heavily in the background. This is confirmed on Facebook forums for the app, and XDA. I suggest reverting back to rid of any possible battery issues. It has a terrible memory leak

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I was like wtf is up with Froyo when it was this stupid facebook app! I unistalled the update. I'll see if my battery does battery tomorrow.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I was like wtf is up with Froyo when it was this stupid facebook app! I unistalled the update. I'll see if my battery does battery tomorrow.

Yeah just make sure you also remove the account it adds to Accounts/Sync. According to the forums over there, they are working on a fix. It just has a memory leak.

WizardHowl

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks OP, Tried this yesterday night, we'll see how battery fares today. I seriously might return this phone if things don't get better because the drain after froyo update was just ridiculous.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, yesterday I tried to test my battery life and compare to 2.1. I left it off the charger all day, with moderate usage, and got approx 17 hrs before the 15% battery warning. On 2.1, I could easily go 17+ hours with heavier usage and end up at 30-40% battery life left when I finally plugged in for the night.

While not horrible, this was a noticeable decrease from when I had 2.1 installed. I read this thread last night, and uninstalled the new facebook app (would have uninstalled only the update if I knew it was an option). So now I have no Facebook on my phone at all. So far, after an hour and a half my battery has only dropped 3%. Pretty darn good if you ask me... but then again, I didn't exactly give time for the battery to regulate after the 2.2 update, so it is hard to tell if it was the Facebook app in particular or not, but my battery is doing better today for sure. I think yesterday, in the same time period, my battery had dropped about 12-15%.

Hopefully, if Facebook is the culprit, they get this fixed ASAP, I like having Facebook on my phone, even if I do not use it constantly like some people...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge