Just wanted to post an awesome and very quick fix for upgrading to Froyo 2.2 for a user with Unrevoked3... YOU WILL LOSE ROOT HOWEVER.

Posted from another forum- lonlawrence "Totally works. 1. download the froyo update 2. change name to "update" (without quotes). Change only the name. Leave the "zip" extension alone! 3. take out your evo battery and remove your SD card. Put it in your computer and drag the new file to it (or hook your phone to the computer via usb cable and drag the new file to SD card). 4. replace card (if you removed it) and battery and re-start phone (see 5) 5. hold the "up volume" button while starting the phone. 6. navigate to "bootloader" with up/down volume buttons (mine was already sitting on "bootloader") and select with power button. 7. find and select "recovery" (again with the power button). Phone will boot into recover mode. 8. select "apply update.zip" (again with the power button). That's it. It will take your phone about 5-10 minutes to completely recover. Don't worry about the box with a green arrow coming out of it pointing to a little android guy. That's part of the process. When it's all done, you will have Froyo 2.2, you didn't wipe or lose anything (except root), but Superuser permissions app will still be in your apps."
    08-05-2010 12:01 PM
    welcome to last week
    08-05-2010 12:05 PM
    I know, but perhaps people were like me and were frustrated with scouring through forums trying tactics that did not work. With questions regarding the topic being ignored in other ones. For example, I renamed it to update.zip in the download folder and it did not work. You must physically drag it to your sd card or what i did was copy it out of download and pasted it into the main sd card folder. This is the only way it worked. If the thread helps just one person, then I am happy...
    wadester likes this.
    08-05-2010 12:13 PM
    Do you have the link to download the update
    08-05-2010 03:34 PM
    Do you have the link to download the update
    the update was pulled within hours of release. Its officially released though so not sure why you would want to run the unofficial version?
    08-05-2010 03:38 PM
    I rooted with unrevoked 3 can I update it without having any problems.
    08-05-2010 04:21 PM
    I rooted with unrevoked 3 can I update it without having any problems.
    I rooted with Revoked 3 and I am not able to run the Froyo OTA. When I do, it starts but ends up with the triangle and !.

I still think it is a bad idea to flash the non-OTA. That is jumping out of the pot and into the fire!

Rumor has it that HTC is releasing another version soon. I will wait to see if that works. Besides, so many are having issues with Froyo, this may be a blessing in disguise.
    08-05-2010 04:45 PM
    I did exactly what you said, but last week. The real question is how do we get rid of the superuser app? And if we can't will it cause problems in the future when htc catchers us up with the rest of the pack, or when/if we root again?

I don't think anyone has the answers to either of those questions atm.
    08-05-2010 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD