Bluetooth voice dialing in Froyo - Vlingo or other 3rd party?

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
OK so now I have Froyo and the Bluetooth voice dialing that comes with it, and I am remembering how I stopped using the native voice features in favor of Vlingo since the recognition was almost never accurate. Does anyone know if there is currently a way or a future plan to make the bluetooth voice dialing customizable for other 3rd party apps? Basically I touch the button on my bluetooth but instead of the native app, the 3rd party voice app comes up?

Also, it just seems to me that the native app is ridiculously inaccurate...out of 10 tries, it will make make one right choice. I am enunciating very clearly, and testing with people with standard names (e.g. "Call Nicole G--- at work") and it comes out with "call bank at mobile", or something else so off the wall I just can't understand how it got there. I can see confusing Joe with Joel, but it confused Joe with Marcus...not even close. Is this just me, or does everyone have these kind of issues? Is there some setting or learning curve I am missing that would improve the accuracy?

Any advise would be appreciated!!!!

Loozpatienz

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the native app is so inaccurate...i often wind up calling someone unintentionally, even after telling it to "CANCEL". I would love to be able to access Vlingo or another option when it comes to voice searches via bluetooth.

dkuchy

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about the voice dialer??? Or the new voice search from Google? I agree that the voice dialer was crap, but I've found the new voice search (which you have to download) to be pretty cool and accurate. Though, I haven't tried it from a bluetooth headset yet.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I use the bluetooth dialer all the time I get very few errors. Have you tried any other bluetooth devices? Maybe it's you're bluetooth causing the problem.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I am also using the Bluetooth dialer that came with Froyo without issue so far. I can dial numbers directly or say call xyz from my address book and it will dial the primary number. Wish it would allow dialing of the non primary numbers for a contact, bit I'm still enjoying it.

JaxDreamFunding

May 6, 2010
www.jaxdreamfunding.com
I used Vlingo for a while and liked it, but this then I downloaded the Voice Search program from Google that is in the Android Market. It appears to be an upgrade to the built in Voice search, but is much better. It does more than dial. BUT the most important part is that it works great as a voice dialer and does not seem to "miss" as much of my speech.

I even use it to compose text messages.

Give it a whirl!

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Choice Dialer Plus.

Check out the free version in the market. I think you'll like it. The developer is great if you ever need to contact him.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have been using the Bluetooth voice dialing for about two weeks now, and there does seem to be some immprovement...I guess there is a learning feature built in because I am not getting quite as many errors as when I first got 2.2 and tried it. However, I basically call like 6 people, so take that as you will. BTW, I found that it will call people at other than the primary number if you put about a 1 second pause in there between the person's name and the dialing location (e.g. "Call John Smith (1 second pause) at home"). I found that you have to say the entire name and you have to have the alternate numbers correctly listed in your phone book as "home", "work", etc. I have been successful in this calling people at home and work (I make people's mobile #'s primary). However, if you have a "custom" number, it does not seem to work.

@Rhoq - I like Chioce Dialer Plus, as well as Vlingo, but you can't use either of them with Bluetooth Voice Dialing. As of right now as far as I know there are no options to use bluetooth voice dial with anything but the native app.

Does anyone know if the new google voice search in the market updates the bluetooth voice commands? Where the Bluetooth still completely if a fail for me is if I ask it to do anything other than dial a number. I cannot get it to open an app for the life of me; it will always search the web for "open navigation" or whatever app I said.

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
@Rhoq - I like Chioce Dialer Plus, as well as Vlingo, but you can't use either of them with Bluetooth Voice Dialing. As of right now as far as I know there are no options to use bluetooth voice dial with anything but the native app.

Choice Dialer Plus works with bluetooth if you are running FroYo.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Choice Dialer Plus works with bluetooth if you are running FroYo.

With Choice Dialer Plus, I run into a "Grammar" problem. Basically, it can't learn all my contacts because I have too many for it to support (over 1600). The program just aborts and kicks me into its Settings where I have to choose a subset of my contacts (starred Favorites), but I don't use "Starred Favorites", so it's not really working for me.

What I want is for Google to update Voice Search (Voice Actions) to be an option for bluetooth voice dialing... so that it will show up as an option when pressing my bluetooth headset's voice dial button (Then I can set it as the default). Right now Voice Search doesn't advertise itself to Android as a voice dial application. That needs to be fixed.

Otherwise, Voice Search (Voice Actions) works great for me.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
What I want is for Google to update Voice Search (Voice Actions) to be an option for bluetooth voice dialing... so that it will show up as an option when pressing my bluetooth headset's voice dial button (Then I can set it as the default). Right now Voice Search doesn't advertise itself to Android as a voice dial application. That needs to be fixed.

Otherwise, Voice Search (Voice Actions) works great for me.

I Agree! Until Google updates this, Choice Dialer Free is working great with my BT.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1