Asurion Backorder

vteclipsegs

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So Asurion has now told me it may take up to a month to get a replacement white EVO (I broke my screen). They also were very clear that there is no alternative to waiting indefinitely for a replacement. Sprint says there is nothing they can do besides allowing me to pay the ETF (full $200 since I renewed for the EVO) and allow me to go to a new carrier.

Anyone in a similar boat or aware of a possible solution?

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Ohh crap that just sucks, I feel for ya man. I'm really surprissed that someone hasn't really put HTC under the scope for this. Where are all he Evos? Motorola is the big kid with V, ATT just got their Samsung rolling but they have the fruit phone, and Sprint is still picking their noses waiting for HTC to get rolling again. I think Sprint is happy the Sammy is gonna start rolling out as it will be their new flag ship device. Start cranking out those Evos damm it!!!

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So Asurion has now told me it may take up to a month to get a replacement white EVO (I broke my screen). They also were very clear that there is no alternative to waiting indefinitely for a replacement. Sprint says there is nothing they can do besides allowing me to pay the ETF (full $200 since I renewed for the EVO) and allow me to go to a new carrier.

Anyone in a similar boat or aware of a possible solution?

I waited 2 weeks for mine.

They are pigs, they need to offer financial compensation as an option when they cant deliver

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Wooowww that sucks your in that situation... Ive been trying to get an EVO for Three weeks now, as a new customer... luckily I have an order in an it will hopefully be coming in sometime next week, but yeah the EVO's r seriously backordered

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
That sucks and I'd be VERY unhappy. They do need to comp you in some way. It's not Sprint's fault that the supply is low, but it sure does suck! :(

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Did they give you a comparable loaner at least?
This is gonna be a big problem if they are making you pay for insurance and leaving people phoneless or subpar/broken phones for weeks/months at a time.

Ugggg. I hate even hearing this stuff cuz it makes me wonder if its even worth wild to have insurance when stuff like this happens. They almost make you regret getting it.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah Sprint needs to provide you with a loaner or otherwise discount you for the time you spend without service... That is not fair to charge you for cell phone service that you currently arent receiving due to not having a phone at all...

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Sprint needs to provide you with a loaner or otherwise discount you for the time you spend without service... That is not fair to charge you for cell phone service that you currently arent receiving due to not having a phone at all...

They will do this if you call retentions.

YOU have to do it though, dont expect your bill to come and magically take off the dates.

YOU have to call retentions and ask for a line credit for the days that your phone was missing.

However id recommend asking a friend for a cheap substitute phone if you really need a cell during the wait

vteclipsegs

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well the phone is still functional to the extent I can make calls but typing and reading e-mails is near impossible given the screen cracks. Because it's not 100% useless I feel guilty asking for a service credit.

My beef lies with Asurion. Don't sell a service you cannot provide. This is no different than if my house flooded and my insurance company said they were out of money so my check is going to be delayed for about a month.

Nobody does loaners anymore according to Sprint and Assurion. Both times I called I was escalated only to be told the loaner program no longer exists.

Worst part is there's no simple alternative. VZW, ATT, TMobile, Sprint... all use Asurion so if you buy the insurance (which I'd be screwed even worse if I didn't) they still get paid.

Wish it was like "max wait time of 14 business days after which full retail price will be credited or upgrade eligibility plus purchase price returned"

/rant

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I like Sprint.
I hate Asurion.

Call Sprint and complain. Like I'm not the complaining type, but I do complain to Sprint because they listen.
Don't try just once... call many times and try to get an answer from them.

They should atleast give you like an HTC Hero/Samsung Moment for the time being...

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
That sux. I started keeping a phone around as backup because of a similar situation I had with them a few years back. They couldn't give me an eta on a replacement phone for my son. Ever since then, we keep a "backup" phone around. If my Evo breaks, the Pre will serve replacement duty until I can get another Evo.

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site
email:

Dan@sprint.com and sprintcares@sprint.com

those are usally higher up reps that can DO something.

I wouldn't tell them your device is still somewhat usable.

Best thing I can tell you is this, buy your phone at best buy next time.
$10 a mo. covers everything and no waiting for a new phone. plus NO deductible.

sprint $7 a mo for a year is $84 + Asurion's $100 deductible = $184 !!
Best Buy = $120 a Year and no deductible.

My girl just broke her Pixi $100 deductible. I said **** that, considering Ive already payed $60 or so into insurance this year and canceled the insurance and bought her a hero locally for $80 ! in new condition. a $100 deductible is TOO MUCH !

vteclipsegs

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
thank you for the tip! And thanks to everyone for their empathy, it's refrshing to see concern and not "l2hold phone newb". :)

here is what I sent.

"
Mr. Hesse,

I want to let you know how disappointed I am in the service provided by Sprint and Asurion. I recently was unlucky enough to have broken the screen on my HTC EVO. Luckily while I purchased the phone at Best Buy I choose to enroll in Sprint TEP. Now Asurion tells me I could be waiting for up to a month for a replacement white HTC EVO due to supply issues. I understand that Sprint nor Asurion is responsible for the supply issues, however, neither am I. Please allow me to return my broken HTC EVO and select a comparable phone from your lineup or credit me the cost of the phone and re-grant me upgrade eligibility so I may resume enjoying the Now Network. Waiting over a month for a phone simply is not an option for me. Thank you in advance.
"

I'll let you know what I hear (if anything)

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
to the person above with the Best Buy comment. . . .
How would purchasing from best buy fix this? If they are out, they are out. Best Buy cannot magically create a phone that noone else can get.

What they might be able to do though is work a credit or replacement from something else in store, but working for Bestbuy and them being a reseller of service, i wouldnt bet on that happenig.

Also, who keeps spare phones? If you are a new customer, you are deff not going to be paying for a spare phone at retail just to have a spare. Sounds good in logic, but not realistic. most people sell their old phones to fund the payment for their new phone

Point blank is they need to give some kind of loaner that is comparable from their stock of refurbs.

r-nice

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
to the person above with the Best Buy comment. . . .
How would purchasing from best buy fix this? If they are out, they are out. Best Buy cannot magically create a phone that noone else can get.

Same thing I was thinking. If Best Buy is out of phones then the guys in in the same situation.

nashgold

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
This is the trouble with assurion and popular backordered phones. I had the trouble in the days of the Samsung a900. I just got a cheap phone on ebay for backup then. Now I have the a900 for backup if I break the evo. ;)

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
insurance for non catastrophic loses is generally a waste of money. actuaries, who are the professional statisticians, working for Asuron have already calculated the cost benefit, added on overheads, profit for asuron, and fraud from people gaming the system and come with a price that is against your interests. As tempted as I am to break my own rule on occasion and carry the insurance for the first couple of months, the fact that they are not assuming the cost of carrying stock in high demand handsets as well makes it even less worthwhile.

No one should blame Sprint for this, Asuron is a separate company and they made heir own decision as to how much they would keep in stock

Last edited:

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Except you WILL wait. They will attempt repairs first, which will almost invariably take a month or more. Read up on the many reports here on this. And then stack on the top the fact that they will not replace loss/stolen phones, and that they have even LESS stock of Evo than Asurion.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
email:

Dan@sprint.com and sprintcares@sprint.com

those are usally higher up reps that can DO something.

I wouldn't tell them your device is still somewhat usable.

My girl just broke her Pixi $100 deductible. I said **** that, considering Ive already payed $60 or so into insurance this year and canceled the insurance and bought her a hero locally for $80 ! in new condition. a $100 deductible is TOO MUCH !

+2 on the best buy coverage...

It's $10 a month but if you break your phone you can walk into any Best Buy and walk out with a replacement phone... It may not be an EVO but they will put you in a phone until they can get an EVO in stock... They will also attempt to fix your broken phone if they can.... Which is all your getting from Asurion is a refurbished/repaired phone from them too.

I had the Best Buy coverage and broke my iPhone a while back... At the time they didn't have a replacement in stock and they actually gave me a blackberry to hold me a few days until they got a 32gig iPhone from another store....

and if I am not mistaken they actually replaced my phone with a brand new one.... (it was over 18 months ago)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis