Ready to root. Please help. New to Android rooting.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I am ready to root. I have looked through the forums for a nice answer but there are hundreds of pages to read through, and I just don't have that kind of time.

I want to root my evo, but I do not fully understand ROMS. I have been reading throughout the last few months that there are several ROMS that do different things. I want to root for the following reasons, if it is possible:

1) Break the 30fps cap (i don't care if it breaks the hdmi output)
2) Improve performance in 3D games (if this is even possible)
3) Gain ability to use wifi tethering
4) Gain better battery life (i have a friend that rooted his droid and it lasts 3 days. Holy crap)
5) Gain ability to overclock and underclock.

In priority, I really want the 30fps cap broken and the hotspot. Everything else is not as important to me.

What ROM will do these things? And how do I get started? I have read through a lot of forums, but the language used is foreign to me. Sorry... this is my first Android phone. I used to be on Palm Pre and it seemed much (MUCH) easier to hack that than Android phones. I need to some help.

Thanks so much in advance.

I am here reading XDA and other forums as I write this to learn more, and I am sitting with my evo right here already backed up ready to root. I just need some guidance.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So through one of those links, I found the "unrevoked" method of rooting, which will apparently root my phone in five minutes. Watched a video of it, and its true.

Does this work with 2.2?
What are the disadvantages?

I basically have learned that it is not a good idea to break the cap of 30fps as it shortens the life of your phone. The other important thing to me was the hotspot. Will unrevoked allow me to do it?

dark_dj27

May 29, 2010
Visit site
So through one of those links, I found the "unrevoked" method of rooting, which will apparently root my phone in five minutes. Watched a video of it, and its true.

Does this work with 2.2?
What are the disadvantages?

I basically have learned that it is not a good idea to break the cap of 30fps as it shortens the life of your phone. The other important thing to me was the hotspot. Will unrevoked allow me to do it?

Nothing works on 2.2 right now still waiting for root method.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Thanks. I have read that the fps cap break basically tells the screen to refresh twice as fast, which hurts the battery and the display.... is this true? I thought that it merely disabled the HDMI output.

Also, just to confirm, do I follow these instructions:

[TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/ - xda-developers

Then add the ROM? If that is correct, how do I add the ROM?
HD2 is using same display with 60fps output so no damage should occur.
When it comes to battery maybe a tad more will be used with cap break not enough to worry about.

I recommend going full root easy step by step directions contained in link.
If your running 2.2 OTA your trapped until root method becomes available.
If your running rom 2.1 - 1.47.651.1 directions on how to apply full root can be found in post 2 headline "ROOTING AFTER OTA 1.47.651.1 (Full Root)"
[TUTORIALS] EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe - PPCGeeks

Last edited:

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Nothing works on 2.2 right now still waiting for root method.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

HD2 is using same display with 60fps output so no damage should occur.
When it comes to battery maybe a tad more will be used with cap break not enough to worry about.

I recommend going full root easy step by step directions contained in link.
If your running 2.2 OTA your trapped until root method becomes available.
If your running rom 2.1 - 1.47.651.1 directions on how to apply full root can be found in post 2 headline "ROOTING AFTER OTA 1.47.651.1 (Full Root)"
[TUTORIALS] EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe - PPCGeeks

I guess I am trapped until it becomes available to root. Thanks for the link! I appreciate it. But I guess I will have to wait to get my goodies.

Curious: what do YOU use your root for?

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
does breaking the 30 fps cap really shorten the battery life? cause remember every other android phone in existence has 60 fps or close to it. the evo already seems to get average battery life, so i wouldnt put much stock in that theory. maybe if evo got exceptional battery life out of the box...