SMS notifications using the HTC messaging app while plugged in

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Something I would really like to have is a visual notification of SMS using the HTC messaging app while the phone is charging. My understanding is the LED can be changed using handcent but I'd like to stick with the stock app. Am I out of luck?

Grung

May 27, 2010
Visit site
To me, this is something that should have fixed in 2.2, close to my biggest gripe. For a phone that hollers for its charger at some point during the day, not having a notification light is a problem.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, it's just silly that they didn't address this before the phone even launched. My only two gripes about this phone are the 30fps garbage and the notification light.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I see I'm not the only one. During the day at work when I have it sitting on my desk on a charger, I don't want sound notifications going off. My only "solution" is to use vibrating notifications as they aren't as intrusive but unless I'm sitting right there when they come in, I miss them. I'd even settle for the screen to come on but seems they could do something with the LED. At this point would be nice if they could address this with an update.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I see I'm not the only one. During the day at work when I have it sitting on my desk on a charger, I don't want sound notifications going off. My only "solution" is to use vibrating notifications as they aren't as intrusive but unless I'm sitting right there when they come in, I miss them. I'd even settle for the screen to come on but seems they could do something with the LED. At this point would be nice if they could address this with an update.

Handcent SMS allows the screen to power on when you receive a message. May want to check it out.

Wizzums#AC

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Handcent SMS allows the screen to power on when you receive a message. May want to check it out.

I always wondered why the original messaging app doesn't support this. It seems like the screen will come on when you receive the FIRST message from someone, as in, no conversation yet created in your threaded conversation list. But any subsequent messages don't turn the screen on.. very bizarre.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I always wondered why the original messaging app doesn't support this. It seems like the screen will come on when you receive the FIRST message from someone, as in, no conversation yet created in your threaded conversation list. But any subsequent messages don't turn the screen on.. very bizarre.

I fell in love with Handcent the second I downloaded it. The stock app is not horrible, but Handcent allows so much customization that I spent a day making my messaging EXACTLY how I want it. Super good stuff.

Last edited:

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
+1 I was very hesitant on downloading a second sms app but Handcent is awesome, much more private if you dont want them visible on your lock screen also.