HTC Tech Support, #Fail

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
They are the worse, when it comes to this EVO. They have no clue when it comes to the internals and guts of this device. Its either the wrong answer or no answer at all. Wow. If you can steer me in the right direction, I usually can figure the rest out. They can't even do that. I'm trying to figure out the preset folder arrangement and they are clueless, like me. The 30th is my last day with this phone, return!

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The folders are empty. If and when I unistall a App the folder won't delete itself?
Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on if Android had access to the SD card during the uninstall or if the developer included the folder in the uninstall script.

I'm not an Android developer, but I've done my share of programming and it's typical for stuff to be left behind when apps get uninstalled.

Why is this issue something that HTC support should know or be able to address? It's a developer issue if they leave garbage behind.

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
With all due respect OP, HTC Tech Support is available to assist people that truly have issues. It is neither their job nor their function to explain the "internals and guts" to you. You obviously are bothered by the fact that there are empty folders on your phone when you plug it in via USB; however, these empty folders do not affect the performance of your phone and is simply a non-issue. If you don't like to see the empty folders, simply delete them.

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
To some defence of the General, eventually, waaaaay down the road this could cause a problem for two reasons:

1) if there were hidden files in these folders, they can take up space. When viewing them on your PC, make sure in the computer settings you have "show hidden files" and "show hidden system files and folders" selected to see if they are truly empty.

2) I am not sure how Android (Unix? Linux?) handles its file systems, but in the old DOS, OS/2, and all versions of Windows (both FAT & NTFS), even an empty folder DOES take up hard drive space.

So eventually down the road, depending on the size of his SD card, it could become full, thus causing a problem. Just a thought.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
They are the worse, when it comes to this EVO. They have no clue when it comes to the internals and guts of this device. Its either the wrong answer or no answer at all. Wow. If you can steer me in the right direction, I usually can figure the rest out. They can't even do that. I'm trying to figure out the preset folder arrangement and they are clueless, like me. The 30th is my last day with this phone, return!

You're a disgrace to the uniform.

YouTube - Seinfeld - The Andrea Doria

C01E

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Here is an idea, open up "Program Files" on any windows based PC... Go on, I'll wait...

Well look at that, Tons of empty folders left behind. The reason HTC probably could not help you is that if your post is any sign of how you spoke with HTC over the phone, Id be surprised if ANYONE could understand what the hell you were asking...

Generally a folder gets left behind when during the uninstall process, Its been flagged as locked by the core of the OS, and so it is un-able to delete the folder. Then, If the programmer had any sense to put in a fail safe, The uninstaller skips the file in question, Finishes up other tasks and leaves the one folder behind because what damage could a 2kb folder do to your os, The answer is a hell of a lot less as opposed to it halting on each error and not fully removing the program.

Please let this guy's "mistakes" in seeking tech help serve as a lesson to others, How you ask a question is just as important if not more then what question you ask.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the consensus in this thread. The problem here exists between the phone and the bluetooth headset... not with the phone itself.

(1) HTC doesn't make the OS. Google does. Duh. HTC only cares about how the phone operates.

(2) Google or HTC do not have control over folders created by 3rd party apps. They provide a framework for 3rd party apps to get installed and to work, however, it is up to the user/operator of the phone to determine which apps to install and which apps to use. The operator/user of the phone is responsible for anything that results from using 3rd party apps--NOT HTC or Google. It is your prerogative to use 3rd party apps. If you don't like them, don't use them.

(3) If you can't explain yourself in 1 paragraph to a bunch of users that have the same phone and have been using it longer than you have, how can you explain yourself to tech support? I'm still confused on what your issue is, I only know the general gist.

If you returned your phone already, good riddance. Go get the iPhone 4 and get the gb's.