Htc evo 4g charging but not connecting to the computer please help!

BigJessie1

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
okay so i have a htc evo 4g & when i plug it in to charge it charges like its supposed to but when i plug it into the computer it some how doesnt read my device . I Have all the correct drivers installed for this phone . Please HELP I WANNA root my htc already!
PS: It reads my brothers htc evo 4g just not mine

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the original USB cable? Not all cables are made equal, and cables can also fail, such that they can do one thing (e.g., charge) but not another (e.g., transmit data). Also, when you say it reads your brother's phone, are you using the same cable?

Also, make sure your USB connection setting on your phone is not set to "Charge Only" (if that's an option), because then it definitely won't connect to your computer.

haxin

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
ok first of all what OS is this on? second of all when yo usay its not "reading" your device what do you mean? theres many different ways the computer can read your device. theres more than one driver that can be installed for your device. your computer can detect it as many different things depending on what mode the phone is set to and how youre connected to the computer. it will show as an android phone but then it has many different functions that each require specific drivers to be installed. every time you change your devies mode for example from adn connection to usb mass storage, the proper driver will have o be installed. theres android adb composite drivers, android hboot drivers, htc sync drivers, htc diagnostic mode drivers, htc usb modem drivers, htc rndis drivers, htc supersonic usb mass storage etc etc etc. so you need to make sure you have this all properly installed if you want to use all your devices functionalities. but if youre just trying to root your evo you really only need the adb and fastboot executables with the .dll files from the android-sdk platform-tools. and you need to have your htc sync drivers installed.

stompah

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
This was the first symptom of my micro USB port's failure. About a month or so after my phone not being recognized by a computer I had lost 100% of my charging capability.

First step is to look for debris in the port. Second would be to try to wiggle the cable and see if a certain position gives you connection.