Bad reception with FM radio

md1032

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
try using a different set of head phones. it uses the head phones as an antenna... with a longer cord or larger driver in the speaker will act as a better antenna. hope this helps

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. always do the initial "channel scan" outside of the house with a clear view of the sky.
2. i use the iPhone stereo headset ($29) and it works great.
3. metropolitan areas with more/closer radio stations will always be better just like with your regular radio.

good luck.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
What's the difference from doing a channel scan inside than out? The presets set just fine. It's that there is a lot of static when trying to listen to the stations. I live outside a metropolitan area, but, my old Nokia phone had no trouble picking up the same stations with the same headphones. I will try another pair of headphones, but for now, the feature seems to be absolutely useless.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Tried starting up the FM tuner for the first time this past Friday and got absolutely no reception. Will try doing the 'open sky' scan but it seems to me the feature is a little weak if it doesn't work at all unless you have to have the right headphones attached and be in a major metro area and do a scan under clear conditions and.....

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised they even put an FM reciever in there. With all the streaming stuff it can do. Not to mention they already have a lot of RF devices on there, 3G, 4G, Bluetooth, WiFi AND an FM reciever.
Not to mention a lot of audio is available on streaming now a days.
But i will agree its not the best FM reciever out there. I will also agree that some headphones work better as an antenna then others. I have tried out several different types and found that with 1 pair i get a lot of static and another pair i get a cleaner signal. But i am out of luck for the most part, i rarely use plug in headphones, instead have a nice Motorola Stereo Bluetooth S305 headset. No FM with that.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
What's the difference from doing a channel scan inside than out? The presets set just fine. It's that there is a lot of static when trying to listen to the stations. I live outside a metropolitan area, but, my old Nokia phone had no trouble picking up the same stations with the same headphones. I will try another pair of headphones, but for now, the feature seems to be absolutely useless.

Move out of the sticks.

RocketJeff

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised when I first saw the FM Radio icon, I hadn't even considered that the Evo (or any phone) would have one.

I do use it every so often, but only at the gym when I'm working out. They have TVs by the treadmills/bikes and the audio is transmitted by low-power FM radio. I'm usually listening to music, but it's nice to be able to listen to the TVs when there's an interesting news story.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised they even put an FM reciever in there. With all the streaming stuff it can do. Not to mention they already have a lot of RF devices on there, 3G, 4G, Bluetooth, WiFi AND an FM reciever.
Not to mention a lot of audio is available on streaming now a days.
But i will agree its not the best FM reciever out there. I will also agree that some headphones work better as an antenna then others. I have tried out several different types and found that with 1 pair i get a lot of static and another pair i get a cleaner signal. But i am out of luck for the most part, i rarely use plug in headphones, instead have a nice Motorola Stereo Bluetooth S305 headset. No FM with that.

Someone like me who works construction do not always have access to a wall outlet. So I was looking forward to the fm radio thinking it would save on battery life using it instead of streaming. Plain and simple the fm radio on the phone sucks. It is not reliable; sometimes it works but more than often it doesn't. And what's up with the headphones as antenna? What if I want to listen over stereo bluetooth? I love me evo but this is one feature they dropped the ball on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Someone like me who works construction do not always have access to a wall outlet. So I was looking forward to the fm radio thinking it would save on battery life using it instead of streaming. Plain and simple the fm radio on the phone sucks. It is not reliable; sometimes it works but more than often it doesn't. And what's up with the headphones as antenna? What if I want to listen over stereo bluetooth? I love me evo but this is one feature they dropped the ball on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Does bluetooth not work? You can turn off the headphone mode with them plugged in. I figured at that point you can listen however you want.

I don't have bluetooth headphones though so I can't try it. And for the record, the FM radio works fine for me although I don't try it that often.

caribou#AC

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
It could have to do with the type of headphones you're using (or headphone jack specifically). TRS (tip ring sleeve) or TRRS (tip ring ring sleeve). The phone jack is designed for TRRS connectors, used with headsets that have a mic. If you connect with standard headphones with a TRS plug, then that extra contact (used for mic/controls/FM radio antenna) would touch the ground/sleeve of your plug and not work properly if it tried to use it anyway. Try using a TRRS (4 contacts, 3 insulators), like one that has a microphone or those little half cords with a small remote, etc.

Try this with your TRS headphones... Open the FM radio, then plug your headphones in all the way (until you hear the snap) and let the FM radio turn on. You should hear a bunch of static... Then gently pull the plug out a little bit, just past that snap. As long as you can hold it there without pulling it out too much and turning the tuner off, you should get good reception.

You can also buy a TRS to TRRS adaptor.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Does bluetooth not work? You can turn off the headphone mode with them plugged in. I figured at that point you can listen however you want.

I don't have bluetooth headphones though so I can't try it. And for the record, the FM radio works fine for me although I don't try it that often.

The Stereo Bluetooth headphones i have work great for pandora, iheartradio (before froyo) and playing my mp3's. But you have to have a physical headset jack plugged into the EVO to act as an antenna or the FM radio program will not work.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I think you missed his point.

The Stereo Bluetooth headphones i have work great for pandora, iheartradio (before froyo) and playing my mp3's. But you have to have a physical headset jack plugged into the EVO to act as an antenna or the FM radio program will not work.

I think you missed his point. He was saying to leave the headphones plugged in just disable headset mode on the handset. At that point you can try and use the stereo bluetooth to listen to the radio. Very clever idea, gonna give it a try.
Thanks Darth Mo, looks like you think outside of the box :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm