Snapdragon vs Hummingbird

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Im trying to decide whether to get an Evo or Epic and a lot of people talk about the processing power of each. I hear the Hummingbird is faster but by how much? I know the Snapdragon is no slouch but id like some input.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
They're both 1ghz but the GPU is much better on the Hummingbird. Unless you plan on doing lots of gaming it really doesn't matter much. The Evo is VERY fast.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Both are fast.

The evo has that infamous 30fps cap but there has been some noticeable lag in the UI I heard.
Otherwise, are you going to root?

Because with a performance rom I get no lag period and there is a big speed and battery boost.

I would look at in-depth reviews of both.
If root and not so heavy 3d gaming I suggest the evo. I have a lot of 3d games on my evo that run great.

But technically the hummingbird is faster ... it is heavily faster in the graphics department.

Last edited:

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Both are fast.

The evo has that infamous 30fps cap but there has been some noticeable lag in the UI I heard.
Otherwise, are you going to root?

Because with a performance rom I get no lag period and there is a big speed and battery boost.

I would look at in-depth reviews of both.
If root and not so heavy 3d gaming I suggest the evo. I have a lot of 3d games on my evo that run great.
Yea I've seen videos of the cap and it looks like it would annoy me. I hate lag lol
But if I can root to erase it then ill try the Evo first.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yea I've seen videos of the cap and it looks like it would annoy me. I hate lag lol
But if I can root to erase it then ill try the Evo first.

It's not so much lag as it is a little choppiness. There is SOME lagginess to it but nothing crazy at all. It's still a really fast phone. Honestly, if I hadn't had my old Hero still and my sister in law didn't have a MyTouch Slide, I never would have noticed the choppiness.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Im trying to decide whether to get an Evo or Epic and a lot of people talk about the processing power of each. I hear the Hummingbird is faster but by how much? I know the Snapdragon is no slouch but id like some input.

Your looking at basically identical speeds.... I do hear the Hummingbird is a slightly faster processor but they are both rated at 1 ghz....

You need to look at the total package... With the EVO your getting Android 2.2 and (IMO) a much better UI (Sense) vs what Samsung uses... 8 mp camera on the EVO vs 5 on the Epic. Screen your looking at 4 inch for the Samsung vs 4.3 on the EVO... The EVO is going to be bigger but not so much bigger it should make a difference.... Samsung has a higher res screen that appears to be more crisp.....

Plus you have to figure in the slide out keyboard...... I personally HATE slide out Keyboards... with a 4 inch screen you shouldn't need the slide out keyboard but to each his own.... After watching the hell my brother went through on his Pre and it's slide out keyboard it's just some thing else that can break.. The more moving parts the more likely it is going to break....

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Your looking at basically identical speeds.... I do hear the Hummingbird is a slightly faster processor but they are both rated at 1 ghz....

You need to look at the total package... With the EVO your getting Android 2.2 and (IMO) a much better UI (Sense) vs what Samsung uses... 8 mp camera on the EVO vs 5 on the Epic. Screen your looking at 4 inch for the Samsung vs 4.3 on the EVO... The EVO is going to be bigger but not so much bigger it should make a difference.... Samsung has a higher res screen that appears to be more crisp.....

Plus you have to figure in the slide out keyboard...... I personally HATE slide out Keyboards... with a 4 inch screen you shouldn't need the slide out keyboard but to each his own.... After watching the hell my brother went through on his Pre and it's slide out keyboard it's just some thing else that can break.. The more moving parts the more likely it is going to break....

The phones are practically the same size. The Epic is actually a hair longer and the Evo is a hair wider.
Epic 4.90 x 2.54 x 0.56 inches (124 x 65 x 14 mm)
Evo 4.80 x 2.60 x 0.50 inches (122 x 66 x 13 mm)
The only difference is the Evo's screen is stretched out to 4.3. The size shouldn't matter at all. But everything else you said is spot on. And I hate slide out keyboards too lol...

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The typing experience on the EVO is top notch, therefore there is no need for a physical keyboard. The EVO beats the Epic on the remaining specs with the exception of the screen.

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
The typing experience on the EVO is top notch, therefore there is no need for a physical keyboard. The EVO beats the Epic on the remaining specs with the exception of the screen.

No.

The GPU on the Epic is much better
There is 16gigs of app storage on the Epic vs 512mb on the Evo
The Hummingbird is faster than the Snapdragon.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The phones are practically the same size. The Epic is actually a hair longer and the Evo is a hair wider.
Epic 4.90 x 2.54 x 0.56 inches (124 x 65 x 14 mm)
Evo 4.80 x 2.60 x 0.50 inches (122 x 66 x 13 mm)
The only difference is the Evo's screen is stretched out to 4.3. The size shouldn't matter at all. But everything else you said is spot on. And I hate slide out keyboards too lol...

Thanks.... Yeah I was talking the physical screen size 4.0 vs 4.3.... I have seen some people write "Go with the EVO because of it's massive screen over the Epic." and your talking about a physical difference of .3 inches.... My Nexus One was 3.7 inches and between 3.7 to 4.3 there is little difference... I can't say the 4.3 on the EVO is so much bigger and because of it's size I would pick it over the N1.

When choosing between the EVO, Droid X, Droid 2, Epic or any of the other Galaxy S phones the physical size of the screen should be a moot point. You really have to figure out what your looking for and what your going to do with the phone and then find out which carrier works best in your area....

I don't care if you have a 5 ghz quad core processor with 10 gig of ram and 100 gig of memory a 4.3 inch paper thin full 1080p LED screen and the phone weights less than an ounce and gets 100 fps and has a battery that gives you 10 days of video play back on a single charge....

If the network is garbage in your area none of those specs mean a damn thing... I learned that the hard way.....

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Snapdragon IMHO is just as fast when it comes to day to day use, what the Hummingbird excels at is the GPU which makes the graphics run incredibly smooth... but raw processing speed they are very close if optimized correctly

in fact Verizon people still say that the Incredible is indeed the fastest Droid of the bunch in terms of overall speed vs the X and D2 (and it runs Snapdragon)

3D games are another story though although my EVO plays NOVA just fine and thats about as much graphics power i need... (even though more would not hurt)

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Snapdragon IMHO is just as fast when it comes to day to day use, what the Hummingbird excels at is the GPU which makes the graphics run incredibly smooth... but raw processing speed they are very close if optimized correctly

in fact Verizon people still say that the Incredible is indeed the fastest Droid of the bunch in terms of overall speed vs the X and D2 (and it runs Snapdragon)

3D games are another story though although my EVO plays NOVA just fine and thats about as much graphics power i need... (even though more would not hurt)
Idk. I played with an X and Dinc and the X seemed faster to me.

powrman811

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
This is long and well worth the read.

Hummingbird vs. Snapdragon: The 1 GHz Smartphone Showdown | AlienBabelTech

I'll put it this way, 99% of the stuff out there will look exactly the same on the Evo vs. the Epic. But all the other features and capabilities way heavy on the Evo side
(of course all of this gets thrown out the window if you prefer a bulky keyboard phone like the Epic)

If you have a case on your EVO then the Epic (without a case) will be the same size as far as thickness goes.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The Evo and the Epic have 5:3 screens. The Droid X has a 16:9 screen. The iPhone is 3:2. None of these phones have 4:3 screens.

The Captivate and Vibrant have 16GB internal, but the Epic has 1GB like the Evo.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The Evo and the Epic have 5:3 screens. The Droid X has a 16:9 screen. The iPhone is 3:2. None of these phones have 4:3 screens.

The Captivate and Vibrant have 16GB internal, but the Epic has 1GB like the Evo.

I think most of us are talking about the 4.3 inch screen size not a 4 to 3 ratio screen size....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome