Charger changes screens on phone.

Panchoevo

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Charger changes screens on phone.

Am using Mini to Micro usb converter/adapter on motorola RAZR1 charger--plug charger's mini into the converter plug, then plug the micro end of the converter into the Evo.

When I plug this set up into the phone, the screen changes from the Home screen to a large icon screen with Footprints, Navigation, Voice Search etc. big icons. Have not seen this screen on this phone before.

Have tried two different mini/micro converter plugs on different Razr1 chargers with the same result.

Since the RAZR2 chargers are compatible with the Evo, I had assumed that the RAZR1 chargers would also be compatible, the only issue being the mini/micro interface. So I purchased for short money some converters so the I could use the multiple RAZR1 chargers I have.

Seems that the RAZR1 must have a substantially higher, or lower, output that is just not compatible with the Evo.

Does anyone have any info or experience regarding RAZR1 chargers with the Evo ? ...with this screen changing thing ?

Thanks

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
that screen is the dock mode screen. like if you had the car dock. it must be a different voltage or something that triggers it.

RocketJeff

May 19, 2010
Visit site
From the information I've been able to discover (very little, actually), the Car Panel app is launched when the Evo detects that Pin 4 & Pin 5 of the USB connector are connected together.

Pin 4 (for micro-USB) is 'officially' used to sense when a micro-B connector is inserted into a micro-A jack. For the car dock, it looks like they are using it to tell if the Evo's micro-B jack is put into a dock.

I've seen several people reporting that their Mini-to-Micro adapter launches the Car Panel. I assume that the adapter has pin 4 connected to pin 5 (4 is unused in Mini-USB, 5 is a ground).

I do have an adapter on order since then my wife can use her Blackberry car charger with her Evo also. I'll either try to modify the adapter (probably not easy) or just leave it like it is and make sure she knows how to exit the Car Panel app if she ever needs to (since she'll be in the car anyways...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol