Engadget Reporting HTC EVO 4G suffering occasional micro-USB port issues?

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Here we go again!!!

Engadget is at it again. They are reporting something about our EVO 4G having a micro-usb port problem which the main symptom here seems to be that the phone will no longer charge or charges intermittently. They are making sound like it is a growing problem, yet not one person has reported it anywhere else. Am I missing something here? I know I am not having this problem. Anyone having this problem?

Update: It does look like some users are having this problem, but not widespread. Some people think it is user error, but most of my readings make me believe that there were some hardware problems with some of the micro-usb ports. If you do have a problem, please let us know which version of the EVO you have, 02,03 and so on, so we can see if it was a specific batch or is it all of the EVO's.

Here is the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/23/htc-evo-4g-suffering-occasional-micro-usb-port-issues/

Last edited:

westhillsat

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually that has been reported on other EVO forums for a while now.
I have read threads about people's EVO's not charging and charging once in a while. They even tried other phones adapters to try to charge their phones.

People in other forums have also reported the USB port actually breaking off and not being able to charge their phones.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess only a minimal people in this forum have had this problem. If someone does have this problem, what are the signs and when did they start?

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
The only problem related to this is that I tripped over the cord to my phone (never drinking 151 again) and the phone literally went flying across the room. After that, the only way I could charge it was to wrap the cord around the phone so that the charging port was held tightly to the phone. I took the phone to Sprint and they ordered me a new one. They told me that being that since it became "loose" some sort of way (of course I didn't tell them how), it was covered under the factory warranty. If the actual charging part had broken, obviously they wouldn't have covered that. But other than that, I have never noticed a problem.

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My usb cable that came with my Evo doesn't fit as snug as it does when I first got it. It comes out of the port quite easily.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Here we go again!!!

Engadget is at it again. They are reporting something about our EVO 4G having a micro-usb port problem which the main symptom here seems to be that the phone will no longer charge or charges intermittently. They are making sound like it is a growing problem, yet not one person has reported it anywhere else. Am I missing something here. I know I am not having this problem. Anyone having this problem?

Here is the link:

HTC EVO 4G suffering occasional micro-USB port issues? -- Engadget

I actually had this problem with my EVO maybe 2 weeks after I got it.. I would plug it up via the USB charging cable that came with it and nothing.. It wouldn't charge... Plus it up to the computer... Nothing, wouldn't charge or mount as a drive... I unplugged it and plugged it back up a couple of times. Nothing..... I even used my wife's blackberry charger which uses the same connection.. Nothing....

I had purchased a spare battery and a battery charger to charge the battery with out the phone and swapped out batteries... Went back to Best Buy and they couldn't exchange it because they didn't have any.... Got on the waiting list to get a replacement.... Two days of switching out batteries and even doing a factory reset it wouldn't work.. Nothing.. Nadda..

Then one night I plugged it up and it started charging.. That was two months ago and it hasn't happened again.... Best Buy called after almost 3 weeks with a replacement and I passed, since I didn't have any other issues with the phone at all... No light leakage, screen coming up, no WiFi problems and I had pretty good battery life.... So I decided to keep it... Specially since worst case I have a spare battery and a charger to manually charge the battery with out the cable...

It did this for 2 1/2 maybe 3 days???? and literally not a single problem outside those couple of days.... I figured it had to be a software/firmware glitch.. and no one ever looked at it other than the Geek Squad trying to plug it up to multiple cables on their own to test and confirm the problem...

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the issue, but I've already called it in.. Having to use my Pre (feels like a toy now.. it's sooo small). First time I've had the happen on a phone, but I guess it does... Whether or not it's a widespread issue, I haven't a clue.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, haven't really heard of this issue other than the Engadget post. Gives the iPhone fanboys a tad off revenge for all the hell we gave them about the antennae issue.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
ehh, im guessing its not a widespead issue. probably just the normal issues that happen with every and all phones. when theirs actually a real issue, user forums such as this one ussually get hit hard, and i definitely havnt heard much of it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my guess is user error.

1. people using cheap ebay cables trying to save a nickel being penny wise and pound foolish.
2. people jamming the cable in sideways or upside down and causing damage to the port.
3. few problems regardless.

IMO ignore the noise.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
my guess is user error.

1. people using cheap ebay cables trying to save a nickel being penny wise and pound foolish.
2. people jamming the cable in sideways or upside down and causing damage to the port.

IMO ignore the noise.

Normally I'd agree, but since it happened to me:

1. Nope, HTC cables only.
2. Nope, I check (because I'm used to plugging in cables to transfer data to various devices and they all have their own orientation, connection, etc).
3. Depends on the issues..

Since I haven't seen any posts except this one, I figured it wasn't a big deal..

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
my guess is user error.

IMO ignore the noise.

I have had the problem and I only use the htc cable. Since they give you a cable how is buying a cheap cable being cheap and saving anything?

I am also pretty careful when I plug it up and this happened to me after just a couple weeks so I was more careful then than now.

But it went away after two days no problems since

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
i work in a Service Center and while not a widespread problem, i have seen it on two Evos plus one where the port was completely broken. We follow standard procedures where as long as the port is still connected we can swap them out. Completely broken off, and its Asurion.

Reactions: jerseygirl

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had 2 Evo's. With the OEM usb cable, it fits tight and snug on 1 but lose on another. Also use some motorola adapters and all works on 1 evo but 2 out of the 3 is loose on the other evo causing it to not charge unless I hold the connector a certain way. The one that has a tighter port was an 0002 version while the one that's loose is the 0003 version.

anon(51709)

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I signed in just to say that I am currently having this issue with my Evo. It started roughly a month or so ago and at the time, I didn't think anything of it; I simply attributed it to being an issue with the charging cable. But after reading about others having the same problem, I realized that it is most definitely not the cable as much as it is the hardware itself. So now, as a result, I can only charge my phone by positioning it a certain way.

Would Sprint be willing to replace my phone with a new one that doesn't have this problem or am I stuck with what I have?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I signed in just to say that I am currently having this issue with my Evo. It started roughly a month or so ago and at the time, I didn't think anything of it; I simply attributed it to being an issue with the charging cable. But after reading about others having the same problem, I realized that it is most definitely not the cable as much as it is the hardware itself. So now, as a result, I can only charge my phone by positioning it a certain way.

Would Sprint be willing to replace my phone with a new one that doesn't have this problem or am I stuck with what I have?

If your outside your 30 day return policy Sprint probably isn't going to do jack for you.. You can attempt to contact HTC and file it under the factory warranty. Outside of that if you have insurance you can eat $100 deductible and wait a couple of weeks to get a replacement EVO from the insurance company..

Mine did this for a couple of days and then went away... It's been almost 2 months since I had the problem and it hasn't happened again.... It was weird since I couldn't charge or sync but now all is good....

Good luck..

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Is true, those boys at Engadget are always looking to find a flaw to the EVO, they're hating so bad n yet this baby keeps on going, I went to a sprint store yesterday n the rep told that demand is still high n they can't keep up with it...

anon(51709)

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Is true, those boys at Engadget are always looking to find a flaw to the EVO, they're hating so bad n yet this baby keeps on going, I went to a sprint store yesterday n the rep told that demand is still high n they can't keep up with it...

I don't understand how you figure Engadget is always looking to find a flaw in the Evo when they gave it a review that was equal to the iPhone 4's. If anything, I saw more about the iPhone 4's antenna issues alone than I did about any and all Evo problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair