Evo charging problems

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see this posted anywhere, so sorry if it has been posted already.
Anyway, I saw something on engadget a few days ago about micro usb port problems with the evo. I disregarded it at the time because I hadn't really had any such problems. Starting yesterday, however, my evo has been having issues charging and connecting to my computer. It will not charge at all when I plug it in *UNLESS* I'm holding the phone in my hand around the bottom of the device. As soon as I put it down the light goes off and the charging stops. This sounds a little like the supposed grounding (non?)issue with the screen that happened early on and I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced anything like this.

Thanks a lot urrybody.

lordm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Evo Charging Problems

Mine started doing the same thing a couple days ago. The charger light goes off while trying to charge. I have to stand beside it while charging.
Crazy problems..... and the worst part is both times I have had problems with the phone NOBODY in the Sprint Tech department at the Sprint store knew how to fix the problem. EXCEPT FOR DOING A HARD RESET twice. scary!!!

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So they suggested a hard reset for your charging issue as well? Did it work for you? That seems like an extremely odd software issue, but I guess it's better than defective hardware...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see this posted anywhere, so sorry if it has been posted already.
Anyway, I saw something on engadget a few days ago about micro usb port problems with the evo. I disregarded it at the time because I hadn't really had any such problems. Starting yesterday, however, my evo has been having issues charging and connecting to my computer. It will not charge at all when I plug it in *UNLESS* I'm holding the phone in my hand around the bottom of the device. As soon as I put it down the light goes off and the charging stops. This sounds a little like the supposed grounding (non?)issue with the screen that happened early on and I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced anything like this.

Thanks a lot urrybody.

I had this problem about a week or two after I got my EVO.... it lasted about 2 days where when plugged up to the charging cable on the USB port it would NOT charge. I did how ever have a spare battery and a charger to charge the battery with out the phone... I went back to Best Buy the first day this happened and they put me on the list for an exchange.. a day later (after testing it out several times a day for two days) it started charging (never did a hard reset) a week or so later Best Buy called to say they had a replacement and I passed and have not had a problem since... It's been working just great charging with no problems....

I don't know what caused it... Geek Squad briefly looked at it while at best buy and they couldn't figure it out either (But they didn't take the phone apart or any thing like that)

Now 2+ months later and it has never happened again.. and I am still using the stock HTC issued cable with the phone... Geek Squad did try several different cables and none worked....

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You guys better hope you can get it straightened out, and if not, that you don't have Best Buy's BTP. You turn your Evo in for repairs, you're in for a looooong wait.

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem I fixed it with the following.

Settings
Connect to PC
Default connection type
Charge only

Did a battery pull
It was then fixed

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Half the time, this is a cable issue. The stock usb cable fails a lot. You may also want to shoot some air into the port, especially if you carry the phone in your pocket. But some of these issues are legit hardware problems.

lordm

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Charging Problem Resolved

I bought a SPRINT USB Cord for my phone and that resolved the "not charging problem". The Tech at Sprint said that the cord that comes with the Evo is a HTC cord and it was faulty. The phone needed a SPRINT cord. CrAzY !!!!! but it is working OK now $40.00 later.

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, after a bit of procrastination I took my evo into a sprint store to have both the screen separation and the faulty micro usb port issues addressed. After the 'tech' looked at it he brought the front part of the phone out for me to look at and showed me that the usb port was very loose and easy to move (thus breaking contact with the board) and that because this was "always" caused by user error he would be unable to swap it out. His examples of said user error were things such as "talking on the phone and texting while the cable is plugged in". Apparently simple use equates to "user error" according to sprint. I informed him that my phone only EVER charges in a stationary position on my desk while I sleep and he apparently thought of that as "user error" as well. I didn't feel like arguing and figured I'd be better off calling sprint tomorrow, so I left. I just discovered at home that, on top of his unwillingness to help me, he actually somehow managed to make the light leak worse when he took the phone apart. I now have light leakage all the way across the bottom as opposed to half way across like it was before.

What do you guys think sprint will do for me when I call them? Anything? Or will I be stuck paying a hundred dollar deductible because they have no desire to help a customer after their 30 day return period?