Native video player finds no videos.

00dahc

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I got an itch for a new phone a few days ago and went in and picked up an Evo :)

Pretty neato...

Anyways, the "Videos" app does not find any videos that I plopped on there from my computer.

"No videos found"

In keeping it simple, to get videos on it I did the same thing I've done on my BlackBerrys and my ancient HTC Tilt... just plugged the Evo into the computer and dragged the video files on.

I tried creating a root folder called "Videos" too. No dice.

fyi, I put many many videos on from numerous file types(.mov, .avi, H.264, xvid, divx, etc etc) Still.... "No videos found"

Never had this issue on a previous device. Somewhat shocked that such a media-rich device as the Evo would have trouble with something so basic.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There should be a Videos folder in the SD card already, and make sure the videos are .mp4 (formatted for iPhone usually works fine).

If it doesn't detect it still, get an app called Scan Media. It might be that Android simply hasn't scanned your SD card to find it yet.

00dahc

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
There should be a Videos folder in the SD card already, and make sure the videos are .mp4 (formatted for iPhone usually works fine).

If it doesn't detect it still, get an app called Scan Media. It might be that Android simply hasn't scanned your SD card to find it yet.

There was not a folder called that on there...

How do I have the device scan for media files? If I record a video with the phone it shows up in the program by itself.

This is pretty lousy so far. I don't see a 3rd party app as being a solution as it should work out of the box without converting to some special format like we had to do 5-6 years ago.

Thanks for the replies though.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is pretty lousy so far. I don't see a 3rd party app as being a solution as it should work out of the box without converting to some special format like we had to do 5-6 years ago.

Thanks for the replies though.

Nothing's changed in 5-6 years. Don't know what you expected, but video essentially requires hardware decoding for most formats, especially higher resolution formats.

If you want to play some special types, you can get away with using RockPlayer in the market, but I think you need to keep in mind these are still phones. 1GHZ of CPU power is not equivalent to 1Ghz of a desktop CPU, not by a long shot.

Anyway, as I said, use the app I just told you about to force a media scan. This SHOULD happen automatically when you unmount, but sometimes things can cause it not to scan (Task killers are often a culprit).

The EVO can only play .mp4 (.m4v since it's just a different name for the same thing), 3gp, and wmv on the stock video player. Rockplayer can play a wider variety, but don't expect good performance or stability.

00dahc

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Videos are quite choppy being played on the device when I drop them on. I still think the excuse to having to reencode them is lousy. My much slower BlackBerry process can play all of these exact videos with zero issue and very smooth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch