Evo as a Camera Replacement?

Do you still use a Dedicated Camera?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lvdata

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Do you still use your dedicated camera, or have you switched to the Evo as your main/only camera?

I just sold my Fuji Point and Shoot camera as I have not been using it now that I have my Evo with me at all times. I know the Evo camera is not as good as a dedicated camera, no optical zoom, 3200 Iso on the Fuji vs 1250 for the Evo, true flash vs LED flash, etc. Having said that, convenience more then makes up for the minor short comings comparing the Evo to a dedicated camera. I think that the point has come for the average photo taker that a decent phone camera is more useful then a standalone camera.

Please note that I keep my photos on disk, and take a few select shots to Walmart for printing to give away to friends and relatives. I am not a big shooter of photos, but I find I am taking a few shots everyday, more then I EVER took with my Fuji.

Just curious.
lvdata
l v d a t a a t g N O S P A M m a i l d o t c o m

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Most pictures we take are family type still poses. My Evo camera easily matches the quality of any point and shoot camera I have seen. So much so that my wife quit carrying her 10 mp Kodak. Except for daughters ballet recitals.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Most pictures we take are family type still poses. My Evo camera easily matches the quality of any point and shoot camera I have seen. So much so that my wife quit carrying her 10 mp Kodak. Except for daughters ballet recitals.

I'm sorry, but that Kodak blows the Evo away. Not to be offensive, but you're not paying attention to photo quality.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes and No... I still use my Nikon Digital SLR for any "Major Event" or planned trip to some place special like taking the kids to Disney World for the first time but regular trips to the zoo or the children's museum no... The EVO takes pretty good pictures for every day quick point and shoot stuff... and lord knows the last time I used the slim Nikon Cool Pics camera.....

For 99% of my "Oh my lord did you see that?" Photos... EVO... If you adjust the ISO settings to better match your surroundings the pictures come out pretty good... Still does not compare to a 10mp Digital SLR....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
the evo sucks as a camera. give me a point and shoot if you want a solid picture

The EVO is hit or miss as a camera... I have taken some really nice shots with my EVO but you have to adjust the settings perfectly and there can't be a lot of movement or the shot is instantly blurred.... It also helps to tap the screen to make it zoom... It does not hold a candle to a good point and shoot today but vs cameras 5 or 10 years ago it's pretty damn good..

I wouldn't use my EVO for some one's wedding photo's or a big birthday party and what not... But for quick shots to upload to facebook or junk you know you won't keep years from now???? I think it's pretty solid...

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a big photo guy, but I wouldn't say that the Evo takes horrible pics. In daylight the camera amazes me. Indoors though, I can't manage to get the photos from looking crappy.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a big photo guy, but I wouldn't say that the Evo takes horrible pics. In daylight the camera amazes me. Indoors though, I can't manage to get the photos from looking crappy.

Go to the settings and manually adjust the ISO to a higher number... The darker the room the higher the ISO Number... In pitch black if you set the phone to 1250 ISO you will actually get a picture (with the help of the flat) and it will look much better than using the Auto settings.. Bright sunlight use ISO 100....

The Auto settings were improved with 2.2 but not greatly.. I still adjust my ISO to my surroundings...

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've taken literally thousands of pictures with my Evo. I think it has a great phone camera. But at the end of the day it is a PHONE camera. It takes VERY good daylight pictures but to get decent night or low light pictures you really have to mess with the settings. I've found that the app Vignette takes much better pictures than the stock camera app. I found out last week that the Evo takes better pictures than my gf's two year old 5mp Kodak so phone camera technology is getting there but it'll never replace a dedicated point and shoot. Like someone said before, I don't think anyone would be using an Evo for a wedding, but for a party or some other non major occasion I think the Evo is suffice.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have never owned what would be considered a high end camera, the point and shoot I have is a Fuji 8mp. Recently I vacationed in Hawaii and my Evo did an excellent job of chronicling my adventures. Someone complimented the uploaded pictures and actually thought that I purchased a new camera. So for me, my little Fuji does a good job of zooming in on pics and has more options...but I am quite content with the Evo camera too now that I have learned how to work the settings. I don't really feel the need to carry two devices at this point.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Still use my Canon SX20is for great photos. But the Evo is good for a point and shoot, the biggest thing is you always have it in your pocket ready to go.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There are way too many scenarios (low light, distant, high contrast, etc.) where the Evo, or any other phone camera for that matter, simply can't take a decent photo so it can't replace a dedicated camera.

I think it comes down to the operator. If you're used to setting your digital camera to auto and then just snapping away, I could see where the Evo could replace it. But if you normally shoot in full manual or even a a program mode, there's no way any current phone cam could replace your digital camera.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i havent used my point and shoot since getting the Evo. I have a pretty solid older Sony that I relied on for years.
The Evo does just as well if not better IMO.

Also looking at some of my older camcorder vids I made over the last couple years, i think the vids might be better on this thing too. I havent done the same kinds of vids though and blown them up on the bigscreen to tell, but just an assumption at this point.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I feel photos are better with a point-and-shoot, but not to the point where I will carry one around.

However, I still use my DSLR for things and events that... well... require a DSLR. No more club camera for nights out though.

Edit: oh and the poll is pretty bad. Why do you assume people only use point-and-shoots? There are DSLRs and mini-DSLRs.... and there are point-and-shoots, and then there are prosumer point-and-shoots (high-end, like a G9)...

dpg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
ive taken a bunch of pics as well with the evo. its not as good as a point and shoot dedicated camera, but it does a really good job if you don't want to or forget your camera. i forgot mine while i went to a state fair. the evo filled in just fine for what i was using it for.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
My rule of thumb is; If it has ringtones, it's NOT a camera.

Don't get my wrong, the Evo does great pics for a phone, but the lack of manual focus, exposure, aperture, and fast-exposure settings make it very much a second choice for any real shots I want to take.

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, but that Kodak blows the Evo away. Not to be offensive, but you're not paying attention to photo quality.

I apologize if I offended you. I was not attacking your camera. You are obviously a professional photographer. Or perhaps your eyesight is superior to mine. It's amazing to me that you know the quality of pictures that my personal Kodak camera takes. You also know my Evo well. Never mind the fact that I have spent much time fine tuning my camera settings. Why dont you just stick to subject and state what YOU are doing. MY phone does in fact take stills that match the quality of MY Kodak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol