Was on fence (Epic/Evo) but not so much...

parout66

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Evo last week. Still in 30 day window to change to Epic if I wished to. Went by Sprint today and played with Epic. Very nice screen. I was also intrigued by the keyboard. However, after playing around with the demo I could not but help think that there is no way that slider is going to hold up over time. Coming from a Pre, I am well aware of the "Oreo" effect. Something about moving parts on the Epic worries me. I am not overly impressed with the stock keyboard on the Evo. I played with Swype on the Epic and found it to be very responsive and could see myself getting quite efficient using it. Thus, I am leaning on keeping my Evo and hoping Swype comes out of beta sometime soon. Any suggestions on keyboards until Skype comes out of beta?

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I need a good keyboard suggestion too. Love my Evo, but trying to type with any speed, or accuracy with nails is murder! LOL

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I am using Smart Keyboard Pro, which is a wonderful alternative keyboard with tons of options. Costs a few bucks, though. Since trying it, I don't miss a physical keyboard at all.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Swype is in closed beta right now and posting the .apk file is against forum rules (understandable).

Have you tried SwiftKey? It's kind of like Swype with some differences.

Gimik

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
grrr just a sec

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/28228-problems-swype-2-2-froyo-just-want-cool-skin-click-here.html

Last edited:

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I am using Smart Keyboard Pro, which is a wonderful alternative keyboard with tons of options. Costs a few bucks, though. Since trying it, I don't miss a physical keyboard at all.

I did try smart keyboard, however not the pro version cause I didn't seem to type any better on the smart keyboard then the stock one is there a big difference in the pro version as far as typing then in the free version?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
You can try the pro version... I think there are additional features in there that make it much better. Return it within the time period if you don't like it. I find it better than Swiftkey, which I also liked.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Should I be afraid when it says the app can gather keystrokes and credit card info sounds a little scary?