Eliminate texting to non-textable numbers

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Need a little help, is there anyway to keep from having numbers that are not "textable" (e.g. a contact's work number) from showing up on the list to send messages to? I have contacts that have 6 to 7 numbers between work, home, cell, faxes, etc., and when I want to text them I have to go through all the numbers to get to the mobile so I can text them. Also, when I use Vlingo or Voice Actions to send a text, it nearly always selects the wrong type of number to text to. I would think that Android would have the option or be smart enough to not try to text a fax line, or at least give you the ability within a contact to designate a "primary" text like it does for phone and email. Does anyone know how this might be accomplished? I am using the stock messaging app, EVO 4G rooted stock 2.2 ROM.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

abrown00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I had an embarrassing moment when my wife texted my work's landline and my boss answered. Apparently when you text a landline you get a nice bot translating your text into voice for you. It was quite mushy and funny, haha. Now I am paranoid I'll send a text to the wrong number and so is she.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I had an embarrassing moment when my wife texted my work's landline and my boss answered. Apparently when you text a landline you get a nice bot translating your text into voice for you. It was quite mushy and funny, haha. Now I am paranoid I'll send a text to the wrong number and so is she.

really? never heard of this. was wife texting using Google Voice or regular Sprint Cell service?

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Yep I have had this happen to me as well, main thing I am trying to avoid. I've had this happen with the standard text as well as with Google Voice (but with Google Voice I did it on purpose as a joke).

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The best way I came up to get around this is that for people I text fairly regularly, either make folder for them with shortcuts directly to texting the right number, or use the People widget with shortcuts directly to texting.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The best way I came up to get around this is that for people I text fairly regularly, either make folder for them with shortcuts directly to texting the right number, or use the People widget with shortcuts directly to texting.

Yeah, I have shortcut widgets for the people I text most often, but when I am using Vlingo or Voice Actions, this doesn't help. It would really be nice to be able to either have a primary or just be able to designate certain numbers as non-textable numbers.

Is anyone using anything other than the stock message app also having this issue, or are there any other apps that handle messaging better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax