asurion update

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just filed a claim for my girlfriends EVO. They are backordered for 5-7 days. On a side note since I filed my claim I should be able to put a temp phone on her line now, right?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Would hope so, but to be honest I have never been in that situation. I have always had blackberry devices that were never in such high demand. Call Sprint to see if they will give you a loaner until you get your new phone.

DocPeanut

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Sprint doesn't give loafers anymore, but if you have a spare sprint phone you can temporarily activate it until the replacement arrives

shellzda1

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Did they tell you if it is going to be new or a refurb? I cracked my screen, and want to replace it, but I am terrified I will end up with a refurb. As far as your temporary replacement- you can get online and activate any sprint phone until Evo arrives. Quick and painless procedure

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did they offer you an Epic 4G as a "comparable replacement"?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I'm ok with the EVO. My girlfriend doesn't want the Epic.

Did they tell you if it is going to be new or a refurb? I cracked my screen, and want to replace it, but I am terrified I will end up with a refurb. As far as your temporary replacement- you can get online and activate any sprint phone until Evo arrives. Quick and painless procedure

They didn't say, but I will check when I get it. I'm pretty sure it can go either way and you don't get to choose. When I had to file a claim on her PRE (she has bad luck lol) we got a refurb.

I just hope when I go and activate the pre online they don't charge me an activation fee.

csierra72

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I got my Evo just now. I filed a claim on Sunday after dropping my phone at the pool. It's brand new from what i can tell. Looks just like the package i got on launch day. Does anyone know exactly what has to be returned? I have all new everything in the box.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Just the phone itself, keep everything else (there should be a little envelope with bubble wrap inside to send in just the phone..
Yes, you end up with an extra everything, but phone itself.

csierra72

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Just the phone itself, keep everything else (there should be a little envelope with bubble wrap inside to send in just the phone..
Yes, you end up with an extra everything, but phone itself.

I can keep the battery and memomry card too?

Just confirmed in the paperwork that I do not have to send back the battery. Woot!

Last edited:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Don't be terrified. There's nothing wrong with a refurb.

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

I second that. I have bought many refurbished items (including the MacBook Pro I'm typing on right now) and never had any problems. My previous laptop was a refurbished Toshiba which served me well for 4 years until I upgraded to the MacBook. Everything else which I have bought that has been refurbished has also served me well. Refurbished items as checked for cosmetic blemishes usually and any broken components are replaced. So essentially you are getting a phone/item that is cosmetically new... its just had an owner prior to you.

Just my .02

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

Be very afraid of a refurb. I just went thru a refurb nightmare. I received a refurb from Sprint because my OG Evo had light leakage and dust under the screen. I asked Sprint NOT to send me a refurb (they did anyways). Well I get the refurb and what do you know, Light Leakage and Screen Separation (what a shock). So I called Sprint and went thru the ringer trying to get this refurb replaced. I went thru 4 Sprint reps before I actually got some help. The 1st rep told me to file a complaint with Asurion and that I should PAY the deductible. Well I said No Way because it's a Hardware Issue. The 4th rep called Asurion AND Sprint paid the Deductible and Asurion sent me a NEW EVO. Well Sprint (Advanced Exchange) told me to take the Refurb to a Sprint Corp. store to turn it in. Well I did what Sprint told me and the Sprint Corp. store said they would not take the refurb unit (it's a 60 mile round trip for me). Well I wasted my time and had to call Sprint again and they sent me a UPS return label. I sent it back that same day and they have been harassing me for the last two weeks calling and asking me where the phone is. I have given them the UPS tracking number at least 3x. I filed a complaint with the BBB and the California State Attorney's General office.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Most of the time a refurb is not a big deal... You usually can't even tell it is a refurb....

Either way though, a refurb will be a lot better than a crack on your screen.

shellzda1

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have had nightmare experiences when I had to replace my Pre. 4 refurbs, something unacceptable wrong with each one. I had to threaten to cancel my sprint service on all 5 lines, then they let me just go into the store and get a brand new one. I once had a good experience with a refurb blackberry, though. I have bought plenty of other refurbished electronics, no issues. However, from my personal experience, Asurion doesn't do very much to verify quality before they send the phones out.

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Wow, you were on 4 Pre's. Well my wife is on her 5th Pre about to be 6th . The volume button stopped working AGAIN last night and is stuck on Mute. She cannot hear incoming calls. I am going to demand a different phone. I am tired of dealing with the POS Pre

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

You will get a refurb. All replacements whether provided by Sprint or Asurion are refurbs. Now if you had bought it at Best Buy and got their insurance instead they offer brand new phones as replacements and no deductible to be paid.

I have had nightmare experiences when I had to replace my Pre. 4 refurbs, something unacceptable wrong with each one. I had to threaten to cancel my sprint service on all 5 lines, then they let me just go into the store and get a brand new one. I once had a good experience with a refurb blackberry, though. I have bought plenty of other refurbished electronics, no issues. However, from my personal experience, Asurion doesn't do very much to verify quality before they send the phones out.

I was in the same boat. I went through 4 Prefurbs in the matter of a month. I'd get one, notice it had issues, call in and get a new one the following week and so on and so forth. I finally got fed up and spent literally 9 hours straight on the phone going back and forth from different managers and departments. Finally I had some lady screw up and note in my account that they would allow me to switch to the Hero because of all of the issue I was having. Normally they never EVER let you switch to a different device. One woman said in the 16 years she's been with Sprint they have only done it twice. Well long story short because it was noted and confirmed by multiple people that I was going to be offered a free Hero in place of the Pre they had to honor it. It took a lot of hours on the phone and even more patience, but it paid off.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You will get a refurb. All replacements whether provided by Sprint or Asurion are refurbs. Now if you had bought it at Best Buy and got their insurance instead they offer brand new phones as replacements and no deductible to be paid.

I was in the same boat. I went through 4 Prefurbs in the matter of a month. I'd get one, notice it had issues, call in and get a new one the following week and so on and so forth. I finally got fed up and spent literally 9 hours straight on the phone going back and forth from different managers and departments. Finally I had some lady screw up and note in my account that they would allow me to switch to the Hero because of all of the issue I was having. Normally they never EVER let you switch to a different device. One woman said in the 16 years she's been with Sprint they have only done it twice. Well long story short because it was noted and confirmed by multiple people that I was going to be offered a free Hero in place of the Pre they had to honor it. It took a lot of hours on the phone and even more patience, but it paid off.

I didn't know that about Best Buy's insurance. Apparently they misinformed me about it when they offered it. And yeah I had the same kinda problems with the Pre. I went through five of them and they wouldn't let me switch phones at all.

Another update: Even though they said that it would be 5-7 days before they had it in stock I got an email yesterday saying that my replacement would be at my house today. I will update when I get home to see what condition it's in.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Not all asurion replacements are refurbs. I have actually never gotten a refurb replacement from them. Only refurbs have been Pres when I take them into the repair center.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Not all asurion replacements are refurbs. I have actually never gotten a refurb replacement from them. Only refurbs have been Pres when I take them into the repair center.

phones are usually refurbs, when refurbs are out of stock they send new phones.

asurion has sent a few bad phones in the past week or so.

also, take your phone to a SERVICE CENTER, we will fix or replace your phone.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
phones are usually refurbs, when refurbs are out of stock they send new phones.

asurion has sent a few bad phones in the past week or so.

also, take your phone to a SERVICE CENTER, we will fix or replace your phone.

Cracked my LCD and my local Sprint service center told me they would NOT fix it, even if I paid and told me to file an Asurion claim. Luckily I got a NEW phone from them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE