EVO - Can't maintain Internet Radio connection through Apps

RIncon

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
One of my favorite features of modern smartphones is the ability to listen to internet radio while I drive/work out.

Unfortunately, with the EVO, be it on 3g or 4g (I'm in Dallas), I'm unable to maintain a consistent connection through the internet radio apps that I've found (Xiialive, Streamfurious, TuneIn Radio).

The stream will work for 2 minutes or so and then lose connection.

The kicker is when I access the radio station through it's website page, it plays uninterruptedly (this is less than ideal, however, as it will stop playing if I turn the screen off).

Do you guys have any thoughts or ways to get around this? I never had this issue with iPhone apps and my EVO's connection seems better.

The radio stream in question, if you are interested, is http://listen.radionomy.com/one-summer.m3u .

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This is a known problem with the Stagefright codec used by Google in the 2.2 update. The coming update from HTC apparently addresses this. In the interim, RadioTimes will work most of the time for streaming radio with 2.2 on the Evo.

mrcam216

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Happened to me when I have the "Enable always-on mobile data" unchecked. When I check it, apps like pandora, that yahoo music one (forgot the exact name) and other ones play without stopping. Try checking it and if it works, be sure to thank me!
(trying to get my ranks up!)

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
turn off 4g when driving around. it can't hold a signal for **** when you are moving. 3g seems more stable.

toys4paws

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
i was having the same problem ... it was my task killer killing my pandora radio - go into task killer options and remove radio from it :)

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Also in Dallas, I bought the Radiotime app and can stream the ticket, ESPN 1033, and the Fan

Sent from your mom's HTC Evo 4G

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
This is a known problem with the Stagefright codec used by Google in the 2.2 update. The coming update from HTC apparently addresses this. In the interim, RadioTimes will work most of the time for streaming radio with 2.2 on the Evo.

i have had truly numerous lost connections while streaming. lately my connection gets "lost" after each song. that has been my experience with slacker, pandora and mog. if this is due to a problem with froyo i sure hope they fix it soon. this off again, on again music takes away all the fun. it's impossible to drive or get involved in chores while listening to music.

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
" Just an update for anyone with Streaming problems... I did end up going back to 2.1 (Damage Control 3.2.3) just until the google fix is released for 2.2. It's supposed to be fixed already but they are working with partners to get it released to the public.

Not only is there a problem with apps like Slacker and Pandora on 2.2 when stagefright is enabled, after researching more, pretty much all apps used to stream mp3 high bandwidth station streams are broken. I listen daily to 64kbps CBS and Greater Media stations through apps like Cherry Rplayer and Streamfurious and they constantly cut out and/or stop. Also, even with Stagefright disabled, I experience more pauses in 2.2 with Pandora/Slacker, whereas 2.1 is flawless.

This is just a sanity check for people who may also be experiencing these issues with mp3 streaming apps in addition to Pandora/Slacker. "

i found this post over on xda developrs forums. i hope it is Ok to bring this post here. the post here at android central is correct. seems that pauses and drop outs during streaming is a big issue that we'll have to wait for a fix.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
After reading this thread I had to test it. I have been streaming Pandora for the last half hour with zero issues in a 3G area using the stock 2.2.

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
After reading this thread I had to test it. I have been streaming Pandora for the last half hour with zero issues in a 3G area using the stock 2.2.
The problem is sometimes it works and most times is stops and starts. Try it for a few days and then tell us it works constantly.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Definately dont use 4G in Dallas if your driving around. Our coverage is spotty at best.
I have used Pandora streaming on Central from 635 to DownTown with no interruptions on 3G. Thats with traffic flowing normally and in bumper to bumper. No Problems.
So it might be an issue with WiFi like another poster mentioned or if you have 4G on its connecting then disconnecting way to often for it to keep up.
I hope they get iheartradio fixed soon, or the codec in 2.2 which ever caused it to not work. I liked to stream music on that app in my office where a couple of local FM channels are staticy inside my office.

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
i previously posted that i too have had problems with my evo dropping connections while streaming since i updated to android 2.2. my problems have been with pandora, wunder radio, mog and the npr app. i have blamed the no fun, constant dropping of connections on froyo.
however, i installed the app TuneInRadio and it just plays for hours. absolutely no issue maintaining the connection. so at least my issues do not seem to be due to froyo. i now believe the issue is app specific and not a system problem. those other very fancy apps are eye candy, but actually buggy. i wish they all fix the problems because uninterrupted streaming is so much fun.

sorry froyo, i shouldn't have doubted you

FreonPSandoz

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Here's an important related question: Why don't any Internet radio players automatically reconnect? Surely the loss of a connection can be detected and an attempt made to reconnect automatically without user action.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance