Lost my Evo...tracking it with Lookout...still can't find it

LP

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Checked my bag after class and poof...it's missing....No problem. Log onto Lookout and hit locate. It shows it's near the building I was just at. After 2 hours of searching I still have nothing.

Tried using the Scream feature as well. Still nothing.

WTF?!

Where are you Evo?

LP

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
project.in.process are you signed in to Latitude?
you could track it using that as well. (maps)

No I never used that service. Can I get it to work (without my phone)?

Still nothing. I am at the very spot Lookout says my phone is. Man this is frustrating!

I also signed up for the trial version of Sprint Family Locator and mapped my phone there as well... and its at same spot as well.

So, two location services pointing to the same spot, but no phone.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
is there an "updated xx minutes ago" display about the phone's location?

as in latitude--it only shows the location that a GPS signal was last received.
therefore, if the 'thief/thieves' got wise to your GPS being on, they noticed it while standing @ that spot, turned it off, and walked away with the phone--while the Lookout/SFL is still showing the last contact with GPS where you are stsanding.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No I never used that service. Can I get it to work (without my phone)?

Still nothing. I am at the very spot Lookout says my phone is. Man this is frustrating!

I also signed up for the trial version of Sprint Family Locator and mapped my phone there as well... and its at same spot as well.

So, two location services pointing to the same spot, but no phone.

I just tried it, and it showed accuracy to 0 meters, but it wasn't that accurate on the map. It showed the phone was in the street in front of the building.

Maybe expand your search a bit?

LP

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys!

The phone has been found!

Here's what happened. I accidently put my phone in my buddy's backpack. Easy mistake since we all have the same backpacks here at school.

He was in the same building all day and didn't really move too far. Therefore, it looked like the phone had been sitting in the same spot.

I had another class with him later, and I activated the Scream button and sure enough we could hear it! Since it was buried in his backpack, it was hard to hear, but we knew it was close. After another 10 minutes we finally tracked it down found it!

He said he kept hearing a siren going off but thought it was somewhere in the building haha I probably hit the Scream button 20 times!

So, the app works, and my Evo has been found! :D

championart

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me two weeks ago except that someone stole it. I was able to track them down with Where's My Droid and new their exact location. They then master reset my phone so i couldn't track them for a two days until i figured out that sprint has a family locator service. I signed up for the 15 day trial and within a minute of signing up i was able to track them down again and long story short i got my phone back. Technology is a hell of a thing.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
if the phone is off or battery is dead, SFL wont locate, itll tell you that the phone is off or the battery is dead. i believe lookout is the same way.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me two weeks ago except that someone stole it. I was able to track them down with Where's My Droid and new their exact location. They then master reset my phone so i couldn't track them for a two days until i figured out that sprint has a family locator service. I signed up for the 15 day trial and within a minute of signing up i was able to track them down again and long story short i got my phone back. Technology is a hell of a thing.

Cool..thats good to know. One feature on these phones that you cant really resist using is navigation. So eventually they will use google maps sooner or later which enables the GPS even if they hard reset the phone. Eventually they will get caught. Since it is retailed for over $400 then it's considered grand theft, at least in California.

championart

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Cool..thats good to know. One feature on these phones that you cant really resist using is navigation. So eventually they will use google maps sooner or later which enables the GPS even if they hard reset the phone. Eventually they will get caught. Since it is retailed for over $400 then it's considered grand theft, at least in California.

Precisely, but if they hard reset your phone then you lose whatever app you have installed to track the phone which happened in my case and thats when i started really become concerened but through some research found the sprint family locator service and signed up for it without having my phone and was able to track it and retrieve it. You would think by now an app like this would come standard on the phone so that if someone hard resets your phone after stealing it you can still track it.

Spartos

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Lost my EVO a couple of days ago. Someone picked it up and turned it off. So they probably wanted to avoid being tracked. They didn't turn it in anywhere. I called Sprint and Sprint insisted they couldn't track it at all. Said that if I had the insurance the insurance company could. I even asked them about Family Locator and they said they couldn't do it. So how did you get Sprint to do it with Family Locator? Did I just get two reps that didn't know what they were talking about? (Called two different times and the 2nd person made more effort than the first but neither could help in the end). Seems to me that if Fring can remove Skype from the options on my phone 2 days after I bought it without my consent, Sprint ought to be able to track a lost/stolen phone instantly whenever it's turned on!

championart

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Lost my EVO a couple of days ago. Someone picked it up and turned it off. So they probably wanted to avoid being tracked. They didn't turn it in anywhere. I called Sprint and Sprint insisted they couldn't track it at all. Said that if I had the insurance the insurance company could. I even asked them about Family Locator and they said they couldn't do it. So how did you get Sprint to do it with Family Locator? Did I just get two reps that didn't know what they were talking about? (Called two different times and the 2nd person made more effort than the first but neither could help in the end). Seems to me that if Fring can remove Skype from the options on my phone 2 days after I bought it without my consent, Sprint ought to be able to track a lost/stolen phone instantly whenever it's turned on!

Don't worry about the reps they never know anything. They told me sprint didn't have any services as such until i did research and found it myself. Here is a link you can sign up for a free 15 day trial and track the phone but it will only work if the phone is turned on. Also do not disconnect your service from your phone. Once you do it is as good as gone. Even if they do a hard reset and wipe Lookout from your phone the family locator will be able to track them. They will have to turn the phone on at some point. I was without mine for 4 days, i refused to let them get it and i got it back. Good luck.

https://mysprint.sprint.com/mysprin...flredirect&ResourceName=Sprint_Fmly_Loc_Trial

Spartos

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I'll check it out. So....when you found the phone how did you go about getting it back? Did you call the police and tell them the phone is at this location? With my phone it is likely in some other state hundreds of miles away by now. Trying to imagine what the process would be. I assume the police would have to get a warrant and the warrant would have to be based on the Family Locator information that I would have to fax them or something. Would be much easier if Sprint would just do this kind of thing for their customers so they could officially verify that a lost/stolen phone was reported at such and such location. I'd be glad to pay Sprint a fee to do it. I'm extremely uinmpressed at Sprint's lack of help with this issue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech