4G no longer working

redphone

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
All of a sudden 4G no longer works on my EVO. When I try to turn it on, it says "turning on" for the usual length of time (~15 seconds), then it says "scanning..." for 2-3 seconds, then it automatically turns off (which takes a few seconds). It then immediately repeats this process, trying to turn on again, scan, and automatically turns off. This sequence continues indefinitely. It does this regardless of whether I'm in an area with 4G coverage.

I never had this problem with 2.1... and actually until just a few days ago, I hadn't had trouble with 2.2.

I've seen a handful of posts on other sites with the exact same symptoms, but no solutions. One person apparently did a hard reset which fixed it, but for others a hard reset didn't fix it. I really don't want to do a hard reset if I don't have to! For now I'm stuck with 3G.

Anybody here having the same problem? Solutions??

Thanks!

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
try updating your profile and PRL?

settings > System updates

+1

also, to ensure it's not a signal issue--
go to your local sprint store (it should have a broadcaster) and test your 4G in that store. if it still has issues, then you know it's not a signal problem--but rather software or possibly the receiver itself.

at that point, at least you can narrow down the problem.

redphone

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried the system updates, but it didn't help.

And I'm sure it's not a signal issue.... it doesn't work anywhere, including numerous places that it used to work just fine.

I suspect it's a software/firmware bug somewhere, that just hasn't impacted a lot of people. I guess I may just have to bite the bullet and try a hard reset when I have time to kill...

Thanks for your ideas though!

redphone

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue. For some reason, toggling airplane mode on then off fixed it. Worth a shot.

Thanks for the idea... I tried turning on and off airplane mode a few times, but it didn't help... still no 4G, and it endlessly turns on/off.

Anybody else having this problem? Or found a solution?

Thanks.

redphone

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, my 4G is magically working again (at least for now) after installing the 3.29.651.5 update. Of course I have no way of knowing if this new release actually fixed a specific bug, or if 4G just started working again because installing any new release kick-started/reset the phone (similar to how a hard reset might've).

Guess I won't complain... at least not until it breaks again!

49erfan

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I had this exact same problem last week. I took my phone into a service center and they couldn't fix. Sprint sent me a new phone and it works now.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem 2 weeks ago. you probably ran unrevoked and something weird happened...

basically the way you can check is

take your battery out and look for something called wimax address

write the wimax address somewhere

then turn your phone back on and make sure 4g is on (it doesnt have to be connected)

now menu>settings>about phone>hardware information

now see if the wimax address and your 4g mac address are the same..

if they are not the same you have to exchange your phone as there is no fix to this

redphone

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I have always been running stock (no unrevoked, etc.). This very much appears to have been a software/firmware problem, since it's working again for me after the 3.29.651.5 update, and I didn't change anything else.

redphone

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Crap... I spoke too soon. It looked like it was working again since it wasn't doing the turn on-scan-turn off loop, but it actually still isn't working. After some more research, somehow my 4G/WiMax radio got the borked MAC address 00:16:08:00:24:05, which of course doesn't match the MAC address printed under the battery, like jpdaballa was talking about.

This really p!sses me off, since I'm 100% stock and have never rooted. I really don't want to waste hours of my life trying to deal with this at a Sprint store. And on top of that, I really don't want to exchange for a refurb phone.

Has anybody successfully reset their 4G WiMax MAC address to what it should be on a non-rooted phone?

I've seen some messages on other web sites about how to fix this if you're rooted. So would it be possible to root my phone, fix the problem, and then "unroot" it? I really want to stay stock. And I really don't want to exchange my phone.

Thanks.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Crap... I spoke too soon. It looked like it was working again since it wasn't doing the turn on-scan-turn off loop, but it actually still isn't working. After some more research, somehow my 4G/WiMax radio got the borked MAC address 00:16:08:00:24:05, which of course doesn't match the MAC address printed under the battery, like jpdaballa was talking about.

This really p!sses me off, since I'm 100% stock and have never rooted. I really don't want to waste hours of my life trying to deal with this at a Sprint store. And on top of that, I really don't want to exchange for a refurb phone.

Has anybody successfully reset their 4G WiMax MAC address to what it should be on a non-rooted phone?

I've seen some messages on other web sites about how to fix this if you're rooted. So would it be possible to root my phone, fix the problem, and then "unroot" it? I really want to stay stock. And I really don't want to exchange my phone.

Thanks.
i was reading a thread over at xda and it said unless you backed up some special part of the 4g address (which i doubt you did) your stuck...

if it makes you feel any better i had the same problem... i went ahead to the sprint store and was told i was getting a refurb.. i put in ##786# into the dialer and checked the recondition date and it said not available :)

redphone

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
i was reading a thread over at xda and it said unless you backed up some special part of the 4g address (which i doubt you did) your stuck...

if it makes you feel any better i had the same problem... i went ahead to the sprint store and was told i was getting a refurb.. i put in ##786# into the dialer and checked the recondition date and it said not available :)

Yeah, I found some of the discussions over at xda... although they were primarily talking about phones that had been rooted and mine had not.

I mustered up enough energy to call Sprint tech support... and after some time, a ticket was finally generated. I then went to a Sprint service center where, after hard resetting my phone, they too concluded that my 4G was dead. Based on what I'd discovered previously, I think it was the fouled up MAC address, which they obviously couldn't fix. So a replacement phone is on the way and should have it within a day or two.

Hopefully this won't happen again!

Thanks for everyone's help & ideas.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney