Please help!!!!! I deleted my contacts!!!

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I was having a problem with one if my contacts not registering that I made changes... I was having a problem with a bunch of them reAlly... so I decided to delete all contacts and then re-sync with google but now I can't figure out how to resync them. I'm having a small panic attack here can someone please help !!!!

I Love my Evo

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
can you still see your contacts when you login to GMail on your computer? If so,

go to settings > accounts and sync > sync all. It should sync back down to your phone.

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Every time I try and sync it says
" sync is currently experiencing issues.we will be back shortly "

yes I can see my contacts in my gmail thank god

I Love my Evo

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So I should not worry ,all is not lost and I can re-sync them....

Ok ... I can breathe now

I Love my Evo

yes, you're ok.
you're fine--they'll pop back up.
you simply may have to tell the phone to manually re-sync your contacts when the service is back online.

as long as you see your contacts when logging into Gmail from a computer/another browser on a mobile phone--you're okay.

Chances are that you did not 'sync' after you accidentally deleted your contacts on your phone. if you had synced--and the phone contacted Google to delete those contacts from your account--then you'd NOT see them when logging into your Gmail account on a computer..

Therefore, you're okay. just go ahead, to be safe, and
menu>settings>accounts & sync>depress the 'sync' icon next to your GMail account.

If you'd like, to be double-safe, you can BACKUP your contacts to a document saved on your computer. Keep this file in case you accidentally delete them again.
Perform these steps:
1) log into Gmail from a computer
2) go to Contacts
3) click 'More Options'
4) Export
this way, you can backup your contacts JUST IN CASE your phone syncs and accidentally deletes your contacts when the service is back up & running.

If it does delete the contacts--then simply Import the saved file to your Gmail account:
so log in to your Gmail account on a computer, go to Contacts, click 'IMPORT' and choose the file you saved containing all of your contacts. Then, when your phone contacts Google to Sync, it syncs all of your contacts that you just loaded.
this will give you back all of your contacts :)

:)
if i've helped, please show some love. hit the Thanks button!

Last edited:

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thank you again very very much. I literally was about to have a Coronary! I backed up my google contacts like you said, and am waiting for Sync to come back online. THANK GOD IT DIDNT SYNC BEFORE THE SERVICE WENT DOWN (WHICH FYI HAS BEEN DOWN FOR LIKE AN HOUR AND 20 MIN NOW)

What sparked all of this was sorta annoying. I use the HTC people widget that take up the whole screen and i deleted a contact because i had some incorrect information, and it wouldnt delete from my widget. When i re-added the contact, it was saying the contact was null or something. I run a stock Evo, and I figured i would just start fresh and re-upload everything now that i've had the phone about a month or so and am feeling a little more comfortable with it.

Sometimes I do have little issues like this here and there... like sometimes the text entering program stops working and forces close and I have to turn off and on the phone. I mean I love my EVO to death, I just wish i knew how to fix all these little problems

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
THANK GOD IT DIDNT SYNC BEFORE THE SERVICE WENT DOWN (WHICH FYI HAS BEEN DOWN FOR LIKE AN HOUR AND 20 MIN NOW)

i'd say at least 2 hours is the cut-off time.
at the 2 hour mark, press the 'sync' button on your Gmail account--deselect Contacts, leave 'sync' Gmail checked. then press SYNC NOW
if your mail syncs, then the service should be back up.
then it's the moment of truth.
perform the same steps--but checkmark CONTACTS
then press SYNC NOW

if your contacts aren't deleted--then awesome!
if they are deleted, then it's sadness.

at that point, log in to your gmail account on a computer, IMPORT the file
then, on your phone, menu>settings>accounts & sync>gmail account> CHECK contacts>SYNC NOW

and, it might take some time (like when you first linked the account), but your contacts listed in your gmail (on the computer) should begin showing up on your phone.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
it happens. like i said, i've experienced this occasionally.
it's few & far between instances, but still.

let me know if it works

(it could also mean that you have begun editing a contact & changes were not saved before the application was closed--therefore it's experiencing issues in its attempt to sync with Google--but it's seeing conflicting contact lists)

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand... conflicting contact lists ... I have no contacts anymore ....

Ugh this is driving Mr crazy... maybe I should remove my account and then re add it... would that work ?

I Love my Evo

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Okay so now im NOT getting an error message anymore... but none of my contacts are showing up....

Edit:

Okay so i tried again and now im getting the error message again.... ARG!

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
in this case--it would be easiest to simply delete the google account, or remove it, and re-add it.

it would then re-sync all of your mail/contacts/calendar---theoretically.
if you have alot, it can take a good bit of time, mind you

so, look online @ your gmail account--see if your contacts are listed.
yes?=
delete google account from phone
then add google account to phone
sync

no contacts listed?
go to Contacts--import--import the file with contacts you saved
then, on phone, manually tell the account to 'sync now' to your google account (making sure your Contacts option is checkmarked)

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
its says i can only remove my gmail account if i do a factory reset... i dont wanna loose all my apps n stuff..

okay i think i'm close to being in tears again

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
factory reset isn't necessary. you can get those contacts back without factory-resetting.

it's gonna be a little time consuming--on paper, but steps wise it's pretty basic.
to verify the state of your contacts in your google account--you'll need to
log out, log back in. when you log back in--check your Contacts section.
>>if your contacts are all there--then your phone simply hasn't updated/synced with google server to download those to the phone
>>if your contacts are NOT there--then import the file you saved. after it's finished loading, log out of gmail, log back in. go to Contacts, and just verify those contacts are still there.

Then, on the phone,--
1) turn off, turn back on
2) you'll do the same steps it takes to manually push/sync your google account (menu>settings>accounts&sync>yourgmailaccountname>check ALL three boxes (contacts/gmail/calendar).
note: next to each CONTACTS/GMAIL/CALENDAR--it should tell you when it was last updated. if it says "2.30pm", and you just updated your gmail account online with the new Contacts file @ 2.45pm, then you know the phone isn't most current.
3) Sync Now

this really should work. it shouldn't require a factory reset.
sorry this is taking so long--we're kind of just exhausting all the possibilities without Resetting

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i'm so sorry.
for future ref--
make sure to back up all of your apps:
>"shaddap" allows a batch app listing with market links to be sent via email to yourself/friends. useful when you must perform a factory data reset
(compared to the 'app sharing' app on Evo only allows one app/email to be sent)

i'll be watching the thread. keep us updated

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Okay so, I was petrified of a factory data reset (i went thru settings and did it like they specified... and heres the verdict.

I use app brain, so app brain restored all my applications... I just had to reset them up after I installed each one.

I got all my contacts back! Yaaaay! I think they are organized a little bit better now too because I did a merge in Gmail, and it consolidated them for me.

My phone is pretty much back to normal now, if not better because I knew my way around the setup and I have things a little bit more organized the second time around.

Now I can breathe again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv