You know that silly battery trick....

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
where you charge your phone to green, unplug it and turn it off and charge it again until it goes green and then unplug it and plug it back in like 10 more times? Well, that silly thing somehow works? It's now been 15 hours and 30 minutes and my Evo is at 41% battery left.

I listened to music on the way to work with it via aux cable.
I listened to music at my desk via bluetooth headphones
I updated news and also surfed the net.

part of me is suspecting that my self tweaked SetCPU profile may have been the reason but I'm doubting it.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about unplugging it 10 times, but the turning off and charging to green definitely works and was instructed by HTC.

You don't have to turn it off though. You can just unplug the phone for a few minutes until the battery drops a few percent, then plug it back in. When it gets to green, the battery will be "topped off" and won't take that ~8% plunge in the first 10 minutes.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about unplugging it 10 times, but the turning off and charging to green definitely works and was instructed by HTC.

You don't have to turn it off though. You can just unplug the phone for a few minutes until the battery drops a few percent, then plug it back in. When it gets to green, the battery will be "topped off" and won't take that ~8% plunge in the first 10 minutes.

well heck thanks for that tip I did not know that. I'm still amazed I'm at 40% after 16 hours of moderate use. :)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

:p way too much work... I just plug it up when I go to bed and take it off when I get up and repeat..... I have a spare battery just in case but so far I have only needed the spare battery twice since June 4......

and I typically go 16 hours with 20 - 40% remaining depending on how hard or light I use it.... Took it off the charger Sunday at 9 am and it didn't go back on the charger (at 8% remaining) until 3 Monday afternoon.... All depends on how much or little you use it...

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats too much work for 8% battery. I've noticed the evo drops its battery fast through the first 30% then it slowwwwwwws down. ITs weird.

mrich70

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Does the ROM u run matter? I am not rooted and have the factory ROM. Hope this procedure can help my battery life.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats too much work for 8% battery. I've noticed the evo drops its battery fast through the first 30% then it slowwwwwwws down. ITs weird.

Yeah, I only do it if I know I'm not going to be able to charge for a long time and will be using the phone quite a bit. It translates to around an hour and a half or so of extra standby time.

But, as long as I'm in an area with decent cell coverage, I can get 18 hours easily with normal usage, so that 1.5 hours is irrelevant 95% of time.

hbwright

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Do you have to do this everytime you charge or is it a one time only thing. I'm all for saving battery but I'm home most of the day and work 3rd so I'm able to charge often. There are days that I'm out all day though and would like to not have to worry about battery drain.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I only do it if I know I'm not going to be able to charge for a long time and will be using the phone quite a bit. It translates to around an hour and a half or so of extra standby time.

But, as long as I'm in an area with decent cell coverage, I can get 18 hours easily with normal usage, so that 1.5 hours is irrelevant 95% of time.

If i REALLY need 15 hours plus with no charge i'll be responsible and turn off data. You easily can go two full days with data off and you still get text messages.

Honestly, half the reason my phone gets low battery is boredom forcing me to check twitter or facebook or my email. Stuff i don't NEED to do if my day calls for it.

z28marols1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I would be wary that this practice could shorten the overall life of the battery. Li-ion batteries do not like being topped off and the extra heat while being constantly pushed to 100% has been tested to degrade the batteries overall capacity. Of course with how cheap replacement batteries are on ebay, shortening your batteries useful life a couple of months may not matter. YMMV, thats just my 2 cents.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund