Most ridiculous Engadget article ever...

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Garbage article from Engadget

This is the most bs article I've ever read from Engadget. They've lost every ounce of credibility in my eyes.
This absolute dumbass basically says that he knowingly installed an unofficial 2.2 update for his Droid X, also acknowledged he knew Motorola wasn't going to provide a way for those that installed the leaked 2.2 a way to go to the official version (like htc did), acknowledges that there are risks of bricking his phone by doing so, ends up bricking his phone (cuz again, he's a ****ing dumbass). Then has the BALLS, the NERVE to basically say that it's Googles fault and they should require all carriers and manufactures to provide a way for the people that knowingly take the risk of rooting or messing around with their phone to get back to normal should things go wrong. And also basically says that this is a "serious" issue with Android... Is this idiot serious????? If you root your phone or mess around with it in any way other than how it came, you know the risks. YOU are responsible for what YOU do to your phone. It's NOBODY else's fault other than your own if you root or do anything to your phone because YOU have acknowledged the risks, and went forward with it anyway. How Engadget can seriously put this article out is appalling. Congrats Engadget, you have confirmed what I've always thought. All of those editors have life sized blow up dolls of Steve Jobs stuffed under your bed.

"Once I left the reservation and installed that leaked 2.2 build, I was gone for good -- no official path back to the fold exists. That's not true on other platforms: if I was running a jailbroken iPhone, I'd just restore it with iTunes, and it would be factory-fresh with known software. That's simply not the case with Android, and it's a problem -- Google can't keep implicitly condoning Android hacking and trading on the enthusiasm of its community unless it requires manufacturers to provide restore tools for every device. Sometimes you just want to go home again."

REALLY????

Ok Chevy.. Every time someone decides to turbo or throw nitrous in their camaro or corvette you BETTER provide a way to go back to stock. And if I blow my motor you should be required to give me a new motor... HA.. Lets see how good that works..

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Haha yea what a stup a$$. I read that a while today, and figured it must be nice to screw up phones and have the money to replace what ever stupid things you do to them.

Stokes

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey, whatever helps him sleep at night. Idiots need some way of thinking they have some shred of intelligence and/or common sense.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? Almost every rooting method on XDA says "I'm not responsible if you brick your phone." You take your chances when you mess with your phone. If you don't know what you're doing or if you're not willing to accept the consequences you have no business messing with it.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah he is pretty stupid. If he had done things properly, he could have been back up and running in a matter of minutes.

Although since I previously had a Pre, I do have one thing to say.

WebOS Doctor!!!!

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah stupid article...
And then there are comments supporting why Apple doesn't let you do it.

The author is dumb...

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, all I can say is wow . He should have done research and there's always a back to stock. How could one be so biased towards a company and be a professional? Unbelievable.

I really do hope Google doesn't care about this article. Worst thing would be to have them shut down root or at least attempt to.:( On the bright side, I don't think they care about these gadget news sites too much.

Last edited:

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I think there is little doubt that he is very wrong to blame Google for his problems that he brought on himself but he does still make some points.

Motorola is very non supportive of the hacking community where as HTC is. With HTC you can always just download a RUU and go back to stock if necessary. Google could insist that all OEM's provide such a utility if they wanted to. Its not their fault but they could solve the problem if they wanted to.

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I saw that article yesterday and thought it was pretty terrible. He lost his credibility after reading this sentence in the first paragraph.

It was fun, in a hacky mad-scientist sort of way, but it's also really sad -- a testament to how Google approves Android device hacking with a wink and a nod, but doesn't provide any safety nets for its most passionate users.

z28marols1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I will admit the one thing I miss from the Win Mo days (and even my Pre on my other line) is the abundunt availability of the stock RUU's (or WebOS doctor, I swear the Pre was all but brickable with all we were doing to that poor device...) It would be nice if stock RUU's were available officially from all manufacturers. My gf did the OTA update to froyo on her Dinc and I havent found an official RUU to reflash her phone because its been all messed up since the OTA and doing a fresh flash will probably solve all her problems. You would think this is something they would make available since anyone with half a brain can reflash a phone with a stock RUU and it would probably solve half their service requests right there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey