Do you guys with Gmail pushing problems have "push" turned on?

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys - it sounds like i'm not alone by a long shot but over the past week my gmail stopped getting "pushed" to my phone. when i first got my evo i had both my email address checking every minute (i know, battery hog). But I started noticing that gmails were always coming in BEFORE the poll. So I just turned polling frequency off altogether.

Eventually i set it back to 1hour so that it would clear all those "unread" emails on my phone that I had actually checked on my computer.

I didn't really know what I was doing as I am a first time smart phone user. I just assumed that google automatically "pushed" all emails as they would appear on my phone almost immediately (often before they appeared on my computer)

are those days gone for good? even the polling doesn't seem to work for gmail - i have to manually click "check mail" in the menu button.

I know a lot of people are having problems with push, i'm just trying to make sure i'm on the same page as everyone else

I am using k-9 mail + froyo

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly the update that was just pushed along with the gmail update was supposed to fix this, at least for secondary accounts. I use the stock htc mail app on vaelpak rom so I can't verify whether or not its fixed

Sent from my HTC EVO via Swype

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you use HTC mail app it is totally different then google mail, I spoke to them about this and they said this is how there app works cause i wanted to set auto push but they dont do that can only set by time.

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah - now i'm not even getting messages when my phone polls. no k-9 errors either.
i have to actually manually tell it to check mail, then it resyncs everything

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
File this under stuff that nobody else gives a crap about, but i seem to have resolved this problem :)
Translation: it went away on its own

thanks to all for your input. i'm now back to my normal settings: polling every 3 hours for gmail, 15 minutes for work account.

I really like this setting for gmail because (when push is working) emails come straight through, i just like to have it poll every 3 hours or so to "clear" the emails i check on other devices. that way i dont have to manually mark all as read, as easy as the K-9 app makes it:) I haven't come up w/ the "ideal" time though... go between 1 and 24 hours depending on my mood while tweaking the settings... the advantage of longer time is the obvious battery-saving element. However on the chance that push or something else does go wrong, it's good to know about it sooner by way of less infrequent polls. 3 hours seems to be the perfect amount of time.

It's amazing how much battery email polling uses... and it seems to be specific to email, my calendar/task/honeydo apps all fire every 30 minutes and I haven't noticed any decrease in overall battery life. But even wiht almost no other usage, with email polling up too high my phone dies during the night if i forget to plug it in. With anything more than minimal usage it will die during the work day! however with my 3 hours gmail, 15 minute work setting I can go well into the next day w/out a charge.
very nice

Last edited:

mploc1

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused about what you guys are talking about. The update only applied to the gmail app., had nothing to do with HTC mail app. And even with the update there are still problems with sending and receiving mail with the gmail app (with more than one gmail account).

I'm also finding text input more difficult after the update because of lag, gonna try a hard reset.