4G slows down my phone

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Even after I turn it off it remains slow. If I don't use it there is a faster response time in browsing and flowing through the screens. Anyone else? BTW I am not rooted.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Even after I turn it off it remains slow. If I don't use it there is a faster response time in browsing and flowing through the screens. Anyone else? BTW I am not rooted.

Are you imagining it maybe? It's usually slow for like 10-15 seconds as it scans but if you turn it off it shouldn't effect the phone in that way. Do you have a CPU monitor so you can see if there is some app using CPU?

r-nice

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Yep, it absolutely does. Even after you turn it off it lags for a little while. Makes the phone damn near unusable with it on.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Yep, it absolutely does. Even after you turn it off it lags for a little while. Makes the phone damn near unusable with it on.

Sense, your statement doesn't make any. Are you telling me the main feature of the phone that's marketed (4G!) makes the phone useless? I was using 4G in Hawaii during my vacation the entire time and here in L.A. whenever I have signal. Sure, scanning slows the phone down a little but not when it's on.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My phone slows way down when 4G is turned on too.

Here's my experience:
- phone runs perfectly fine and smooth with 4G OFF
- turn on 4G and connect to 4G signal, then phone is laggy/slow/unresponsive, even when sliding between home screens
- turn 4G off, and phone still behaves slowly
- rebooting phone with 4G off and things are fine again

My EVO is on stock 2.2.

For those that are saying they never experienced it or imaging it's happening...are you guys in 4G area and tried it? I might just take a video showing my phones behavior.

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you imagining it maybe? It's usually slow for like 10-15 seconds as it scans but if you turn it off it shouldn't effect the phone in that way. Do you have a CPU monitor so you can see if there is some app using CPU?
Normal CPU usage. It's really noticeable when I switch between screens.

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My phone slows way down when 4G is turned on too.

Here's my experience:
- phone runs perfectly fine and smooth with 4G OFF
- turn on 4G and connect to 4G signal, then phone is laggy/slow/unresponsive, even when sliding between home screens
- turn 4G off, and phone still behaves slowly
- rebooting phone with 4G off and things are fine again

My EVO is on stock 2.2.

For those that are saying they never experienced it or imaging it's happening...are you guys in 4G area and tried it? I might just take a video showing my phones behavior.

Mine was doing the exact same thing for a while. Watchdog Lite showed "IO" using 70% of the CPU. It seems to come and go though. Hasn't happened in a while.

Peeler

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem since the last OTA update. When I turn the 4G on it creates an insane amount of lag when swiping between home screens or scrolling pages/photos. Even if I turn 4G off and wait 5 minutes or so, the lag never goes away. I have to restart my Evo to get it to act normal again. I hope this gets fixed soon.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Looking at my log with aLogcat, I see a lot of these msgs after I turn off 4G:

E/Wimax ( 98): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/127.0.0.1:7771 - Connection refused'

They recur every couple of seconds. I Googled "127.0.0.1:7771" and found a number of references, all seeming to indicate issues with 4G still scanning and trying to connect after being turned off. Examples:

HTC EVO 4G:Evo battery draining faster after update

4G reconnecting issue? - Page 5 - xda-developers

Does this contribute to the sluggishness I see? Does it contribute to the faster battery drain I see after turning off 4g? I do know that if I reboot the phone with 4G still off that this problem is gone after restart.

Dave

mmmtacos

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
4G lags for me but only when it's on a single bar (maybe it's changing from 3g to 4g back to 3g?)
and also turning on and off 4g.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
this issue has been noted in multiple threads here & on phandroid

the reported problem is that AFTER you turn on the 4g radio, and it scans--regardless of whether it finds network or not, and then turn it off--IT continues to scan UNTIL you turn off the phone. boot it back up & it won't repeatedly scan.

user opened up aLogcat and noted the error stating something about the wimax connection refused, reattempting & refused---repeatedly. that accounts for the lag you're experiencing. the phone is constantly searching.

search the forum and you'll find the post.

Peeler

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if Sprint or HTC are aware of this problem yet? I'm thinking this will be fixed soon since the 4G is one of the Evo's biggest selling points.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if Sprint or HTC are aware of this problem yet? I'm thinking this will be fixed soon since the 4G is one of the Evo's biggest selling points.

See the links in my earlier post in this thread - those were from June and July so this has been around for a while.

Dave

superm1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed sometimes that enabling 4G causes the OOM (out of memory) kernel function to kick in. It keep killing a wimax authentication daemon of sorts. Even after turning off 4G it keeps going at it. You can verify this by typing "dmesg" in the adb console and seeing messages about the OOM and typing "free" to see how much memory is in use.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I just tried turning 4G on/off and my phone didn't even react to it. Just a few things:

1. I don't use any task killers
2. I still have not run the latest OTA
3. I don't overclock
4. I don't have a live wallpaper running.

r-nice

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Sense, your statement doesn't make any. Are you telling me the main feature of the phone that's marketed (4G!) makes the phone useless? I was using 4G in Hawaii during my vacation the entire time and here in L.A. whenever I have signal. Sure, scanning slows the phone down a little but not when it's on.

I'm saying it makes the phone almost unusable when you have it on because it lags so bad.

I will say that I don't recall it doing that when I first got the phone. Only after awhile did I really notice it.