EVO Apps worth paying for ?

californian#AC

May 27, 2010
Visit site
My 1st "smart" phone was a Blackberry Tour. I paid for a bunch of apps: themes, sounds, weather apps, system tweak apps, blinking light apps etc. And looking back on it, it all feels like a big waste of pennies.

Now, as a new EVO owner, I'm overwhelmed with the sheer volume of apps available and have thus far stuck strictly to the free ones.

My question: What app(s) have you paid for, and felt it was money well-spent?

Your advice is appreciated!

P.S
Is there an app, or setting to get the battery status to display as a percentage rather than a bar on the Sense home screen? I see the exact percentage reflected when charging within the 'desk clock' screen..but only there.

Last edited:

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
City at Night live wallpaper
Vignette camera app
Launcher Pro Plus
Beautiful Widgets
SetPCU
Sihlouette live Wallpaper
TapTalk Pro

Last edited:

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This is all subjective. It's really going to depend on what you're interested in. There's several battery indicator apps that will do what you want.

My most treasured app is iBird Pro and it was $20. It was worth every single cent, but I'm very much into birds and birdwatching. The great thing about the market place is you have 24 hours to try out the apps.

Tpain

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Essential apps I've purchased and would purchase again:

Launcher pro plus
Beautiful widgets
System panel
Titanium backup
Setcpu

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget the games!

I've bought so far:

Root Explorer
QueueMan donation (the app is free but I wanted to support the guy)
SwiftKey keyboard
MiniSquadron (fun game)
Beautiful Widgets
Fruit Ninja (another fun game)
Astro File Manager Pro
ROM Manager (just to show support)
SetCPU
Extended Controls (love this app)
Skies of Glory (yet another fun game)
FeedR News Reader (an RSS reader with a good set of widgets, I needed it when I went away from HTC Sense, there are free alternatives but I like this one)
Math Alarm Clock (I'd be fired by now if I didn't have this, it makes you do math problems before the alarm turns off)
Flight Director (good fun game)
SNES Rom Pack Three (kind of a waste I don't really use it, just more games you can prob. get for free if you look hard enough)
Speedx 3D ( a decent game)
Tapatalk Pro (a forum client, it's good to have if you're on ac or xda a lot)

That's it so far, I don't shy away from android apps primarily just so the developers can eat and live and still make good apps and because I get a fair amount of use out of them.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
i've not bought any and don't plan on it. i don't need some silly wall paper. ring tones are easy to rip from a cd. i'm not a gamer.

just give me the internet. it has everything

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Paid apps I have:

SwiftKey
Quick App Clean Cache
Beautiful Widgets
Launcher Pro Icons (will probably buy Launcher Pro Plus also)
Fruit Ninja

I'm probably forgetting some.

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
P.S
Is there an app, or setting to get the battery status to display as a percentage rather than a bar on the Sense home screen? I see the exact percentage reflected when charging within the 'desk clock' screen..but only there.

Here is a link to the them I use. It shows the battery as a percentage and changes some of the other icons: [MOD] Smooth-Mods for Sense and Manup's theme 8/29/10 CM6 Version! - xda-developers

thier has never been a paid app that i could not have found for free if i look hard enough.

^ That is sad. If you like an app so much you want the paid version than support the dev who sacrifices their own time to develop apps for us.

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
thier has never been a paid app that i could not have found for free if i look hard enough.

Yeah...I think I'd rather show my support for the dev and spend a dollar or two than hunt and peck around the internet to rip the dev off.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
MLB At Bat 2010
Documents to Go (Full Version)

I agree with several previous posts, in that I have not found many paid apps that i couldn't live without. Nice thing about the android market is there are usually free and paid versions of most apps. I try the free version out, to see if i really like it. If I do, I don't have a problem buying the app, but I want to make sure I will actually "use" it.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Good for everyone apps
*Weather Bug Elite everyone should have this app you must go Elite.
*Phone weaver just check it out the most used app I have bottom line.
Good apps not for everyone
*SetCPU
*System panel
*Slingplayer if you have a slingbox

I have beautifully widgets I use it sometimes but I could live without it. Its not a waist of money I just don't use it all the time but it is nice to have.

Later,
Dave

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
iSyncr=syncs your iTunes playlists to your android phone. (paid version allows more than 3 playlists to sync)--definitely worth it.

Tasker=allows for insane amount of customization to your phone (turn on apps @ certain times, turn off settings like wifi/gps due to location/time/"if" factors) i set up so many options that i don't ever have turn anything on/off anymore b/c it's all automated.! ha. it's my must-have app to suggest to any friend. well worth it.

StartUpAuditor==unlike AdvancedTaskKiller (which only sees certain apps), SUA will see stock apps and allow you to prevent them from running or startup when your phone boots up. it definitely saves battery.

battery= "Battery Widget!"it puts a small Android character, that's animated, with your battery percentage in his belly. it's my favorite batt app, so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown